Crank bearing oil clearances

Answer to most of the common technical questions
Pest

Crank bearing oil clearances

Post by Pest » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:16 pm

Hi, I'm looking to buy some ACL race series bearing for my new engine. I see they offer them in "standard" and 0.001" (one thou) extra oil clearance.

My question is, in what situation would you want the extra clearance? Heavy duty loads? non-standard or worn components?

Thanks.

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:29 pm

don't get ACL bearing - get some good Japanese bearing

Pest

Post by Pest » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:11 pm

Why's that? I've heard nothing but good things so far.

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:44 pm

pest wrote:Why's that? I've heard nothing but good things so far.
Well yes they are good but they don't last they are made from not as good metal as a good Japanese bearing. If your engine is not going to be higher performance race engine - just get stock Nissan units - they will be better than anything you can get from ACL.

You can call them and they will tell you that they have gone green and they are now made of Ally-silicon not tri-metal like they used to be - they admit it too. They only lasted 3 race meetings in Ricky engine - do the research they are now crap.

Just spoke to Ricky he said you can get good Japanese units (the same brand as Nissan supplies but cheaper) NDC is the brand from STA parts - see http://www.staparts.co.nz/ give them a call.

I am talking L6. However for the RB ACL race can be had but they are hard and you will ware your crank - give Wayne at Henderson Automotive Limited (HAL) a call and talk to him he is using NDC on all this L6 and RB builts (he build my old L6 bottom end)