BMW caliper conversion.

Answer to most of the common technical questions

Moderators: BRONZEE, Z Club

Post Reply
User avatar
Tony Edmeades
Posts: 49
Location: Waitakere

BMW caliper conversion.

Post by Tony Edmeades » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:52 pm

Hi guys. This message is more for the guy in the blue 240 at the 40th anniversary (Carl I believe his name is). But the brake conversion is a good one that others may want to consider too.
Carl (I really hope I'm remembering the right name), I thought of a glitch with this conversion that may change your descision on whether to go ahead or not. The calipers are too wide to fit behind normal RWD wheels and thus I've used 25 mm spacers and 'front wheel drive' off set wheels.
The Rotors used are WRX STi, unsure of year but BNT part number is RDA650. These are lager than expected on first inspection as I had some Hilux calipers to use but they would not fit over the rotor so went in search of bigger ones. In the end found some Calipers from an 85ish BMW 735i which fitted the bill well. Only needed 10mm (ish) spacers to get the positioning central over the rotor.

Any questions or help just sing out :)

Tony

User avatar
nzeder
Site Admin
Posts: 1503
Location: Auckland
Contact:

Post by nzeder » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:05 pm

You got pics :)

User avatar
Tony Edmeades
Posts: 49
Location: Waitakere

Post by Tony Edmeades » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:18 pm

Some pics of the conversion. It passed LVV cert no dramas.

Rotors are 295mm and 24mm wide.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
limezed
Posts: 200
Location: North Harbour

Post by limezed » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:23 pm

Hi Tony (Karl with yellow 240Z here),
I have decided to go the more orthodox method of Hilux vented calipers with BMW Mini rotors (sometimes refered to as the "Pest" set up - cheers Luke). The rotors are being machined up as we speak.

I am also sectioning the struts, with the front inserts going into the rear and the fronts being replaced with Celica inserts. This allows 50mm to be cut out of the strut tubes. I will then have the coil over sleeves welded on.

The plan was to have all this done before this weekends mountain run, but that is not looking likely.

Thanks for the pics of your conversion.

Karl

User avatar
Tony Edmeades
Posts: 49
Location: Waitakere

Post by Tony Edmeades » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:07 pm

Ha!, Oops, at least I got your name right. Not sure which is the biggest evil though, getting a guys name wrong or his car colour !!! Sounds like your sorted. That suspension sounds like it will be the biz !!
I'm on to my next mod mission, dry sumping. Not much point in fixing my engine without fixing the cause of failure first ;)

User avatar
old_datto_fan
Z Club Member
Posts: 940
Location: Kapiti

Post by old_datto_fan » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:29 am

Hi Tony,

Instead of dry sumping, have a look at Accusump - can achieve a similar result for less cost and effort. Just fitted one to my Zed and it works a treat.

Mike

User avatar
Tony Edmeades
Posts: 49
Location: Waitakere

Post by Tony Edmeades » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:23 pm

Cheers, will have a look into it. :)

I'm looking at building my own dry sump system so would definitely not just go and spend up large on a mega dollar setup.

Post Reply