Clock circuitry

Answer to most of the common technical questions
nzniggles

Post by nzniggles » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:31 am

Ok buddy thanks for pointing that out for me.
Since your so gud at it, why dont you point it out for our friend up above asking about the ZX clock as well?
Obviously you know more than I, and despite my effort to help here, I apologize for even opening my mouth.
Chill out dude. Was only trying to be helpful. Didn't even notice the above post

ZMAD

Post by ZMAD » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:22 am

nzdatman wrote:thanks for sharing that. I have 3 clocks, one is from a JDM fairlady and tells the date as well. Hopefully I can get one of them to work.
I have a Datsun 1600 as well, the clock loses about 5min/day. Annoying. So if you find out how to fix ZMAD let us know.
I don't know what it is with datsuns and clocks?
I pulled my clock out to service it and yes it does have the plastic bung on rear which you remove and adjust with the widest flat blade screwdriver you can fit in the hole.

I can service/repair these S30 clocks and probably others if anyone is interested. For a S30 clock to replace capacitors and set slow/fast adjustment will be $25+courier.
All Nissans are racecars.

ZMAD

Post by ZMAD » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:38 pm

pest wrote:Since I've owned my 260 the clock has not worked. It's of little consequence since the stereo has a digital clock on it and apparently it's pretty common for the factory one to be stuffed.

I do have a compulsion though, that everything that should work _does_ work, so recently when I had the dash out I removed the clock and opened it up. Inside I found an extremely simple circuit with basic components but it was still beyond me. So I gave it to my Dad :P

He's been working with electronics his whole life so he had no trouble figuring out how it worked and fixing the broken bits. Apparently a capacitor was dead, a replacement was found at dick smith, fixed.

So I now have a working clock. :D

Why am I telling you this? Am I offering to fix yours? No. However, Dad did provide me with this little tidbit, which should be of interest to anyone who's vagely electronical and wishes to fix an old datsun clock. It is the circuit diagram with component values etc. I provide it here for historical purposes.
I have discovered differences in component values between a 1975 and 1977 clock.My 1977 S30 has the same values as your diagram but my 1975 S30 clock uses a 10 microfarad cap instead of the 22 and a 680 ohm resistor instead of the 520 Ohm resistor on the collector(BC828).Your diagram states it as 510 Ohm which is morelikely an error.Just sharing for interest sake.
All Nissans are racecars.