280zx into 260z

Answer to most of the common technical questions
ZMAD

280zx into 260z

Post by ZMAD » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:37 am

Guys,Im wondering if 280zx power steering possible to install into 260z.Whats involved etc.Also rear discs/calipers from 280zx into 260z.
All Nissans are racecars.

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:55 pm

no go on the power steering - reasons are

1. The 260z has a front mounting rack
2. The 280zx has a rear mounting rack (if the rack power steering version earlier PS was a ZF steering box setup)

there would be too much engineering involved to swap the 260z from front rack and rear TC rods to a rear rack and front TC rod setup - doable but why bother?

The options for power steering are as follows

1. A Subaru PS rack, requires some changes to the cross member and tie rod ends - be careful with the rack you get as some are wider you need to find one that is the same length as the 260z rack or you will have to do some bump steering mods/testing - not for a home install if you don't know the science behind it or what I mean.
2. A MX5 PS rack can be used also again some issues as above but I believe the rack length is better.

I have also heard that a RX8 rack is a fount mount too - so start looking under cars for a PS front rack and take a tape measure to ensure the lengths are the same or close enough that after mods they will be.

re rear brakes - yes but then again what version of a the 280zx are we talking about? Series I or Series II. The series I have a 269x10 rotor with 68mm total hat. The series II have 258x9 with a 47mm hat. The series II are not an upgrade per-say but just a replacement for the drums. The 269mm Series I rotor is better but still not a performance upgrade - yes again a replacement for the drum but not a performance upgrade. You will need an adaptor bracket to install either and there are number of guys on the ebay.com and other website that sell kits or brackets.

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:58 pm

when I am talking rack length I am meaning inner tie rod/rack end to inner tie rod/rack end at the other side - the chosen rack needs to be the same length as the 260z so these inner points are at the same location from a bump steer point - there is alot of things to consider when doing these types of conversions. The other length can be changed ie from inner to outer via different outer or inner tie rods - again a complex task and you need to do your homework.

ZMAD

Post by ZMAD » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:14 pm

Thanks for the info.I knew you could help.These parts are listed on trademe at moment at a low price.Thats why I asked about it.

ZMAD

Post by ZMAD » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:17 pm

Auction No.173451238 & 173451233.

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:47 pm

ZMAD wrote:Auction No.173451238 & 173451233.
That is a series I PS setup ie the box type = lots of work and a backward step going from a rack to a box setup.

The rears calipers/rotors does not say but as the are listed by the same guy I can only assume series I ie 269x10 with the 68mm hat - and the calipers do look like the series I units too. So that might an option then see if this guy is still selling his brackets and you have a kit to convert your 260z to rear discs as this bracket is for the series I setup :)
http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=115339

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:09 pm

Hi I am in the middle of power steering conversion at the moment. I have used a Subaru Legacy BC or BS model.About 1995 car. Can be purchased quite cheaply from Trade Me. But the rack has to be shortened. My rack is with fabricators at the moment, is not cheap and not easy. You can use the Z tie rods, shortening the steering arms and getting them threaded. Then the front x beam were the rack mounts has to be altered, Remeber whatever you do if must be up to proper standards as it will need to be certified. I am waiting for my rack to come back before I work out exactly what I do but my guess is that I will have to almost remove the current mounts and fabricate new ones. Then the right side engine mount will have to be altered as the shaft on the Subaru rack is on a greater angle than the Z one. Also a channel must be cut into the beam where the shaft comes out of the rack. Again anything you do must be certifiable. As far as pump goes the easyist way is to get all the pump, tensioner pully, and grank pully of a 280zx, and fit them to your car. You could make your own mount and run it of the alternator belt. Haven't got that far but for myself I am planning to fabricate my own bracket and use the subaru pump, and use the pullys of a zx with seperate belt. You will also need to shorten the steering shaft and welding that is a no no. Again needs to be certified. Oh yes the subaru rack has a speed sensor on it. You will need to connect this to you battery. I am hoping that I can put a manuel varible control on it, still to be sorted. Another thing to watch is the fuel pump, if you have a manuel fuel pump, you have to remove it and fit an electric pump as the power steering pump mounts in that postion. I'm not sure if the 260 is electrical of manuel.

As far as rear discs go, I have bought a kit of ebay from the states, according to them bolts straight up, comes with fabricated brackets for the caliper. Slotted and drilled discs. There is some issue with the handbrake cable. I think some of the later cars had a different cable set up and you need to fit the earlier cable to your car. Again I still have that to do. And will have to work around the handbrake thing as my car is a 2+2 and wouldn't take the earlier cable as it would be to short. This to would need to be certified, make sure you get all the specs for the parts you buy. If you are not sure you need to talk to a certifier to ensure you are not waisting your money.

I am doing a complete suspension rebuild but am still some time away from completion, but pm me if you are still keen and I would be happy to share info with you.
Bernie Kant
Club President

ZMAD

Post by ZMAD » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:50 pm

Thanks for info.Now Im really put off.Ive been reading the site given by nzeder about the brake conversion.It mentions using park brake cables from a 91 240sx.Maybe that will help you.

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:41 pm

Yes so was I, i started it not knowing what I was doing, and had some very good help and advise from guys from the Z club, now that I am well under way I'm glad I pursued it as it will make my parking turns a lot easier. Plus I quite enjoy the challange.
Bernie Kant
Club President

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:22 pm

Zmad, Brian is another one you can have a chat to about power steering conversation, he'll be at club night on Thursday, he's not long done the Subaru conversion to his 240z. :wink: