Z Club Member

Wellington/Manawatu Event - Sunday 15th June

Post by old_datto_fan » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:38 am

What: The Collectable Car Club in the Lower North Island
When: Sunday 15th June
Meet times: Depart Plimmerton Weigh Station 9-30, Wanganui Weigh Station 10-45
Costs: below
Organiser: Old_datto_fan

The Collectable Car Club in the Lower North Island have an event on Sunday 15th June and we have been invited to join in.

The event is for a Feilding Lunch and to visit the Coach House Museum.

Lunch at Murrays Irish Bar, Feilding, $10 menu, other meals up to $18, good meals good value.

Feilding's Coach House Museum is home to an outstanding collection of rural New Zealand's heritage showcasing over 140 years of history, $10 per person entry.

Please let me know if you are interested as they need to confirm numbers for lunch.

Depart Plimmerton Weigh Station 9-30, Wanganui Weigh Station 10-45

Meet at Sanson Market 11-30’sh, lunch 12-30pm.

BlueZ
Z Club Member

Post by BlueZ » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:58 am

Ross won't be in this time as he and Sandra are in Europe

asyado

Post by asyado » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:51 pm

Hi there Mike,
I will meet you at Sanson market from the Wairarapa.
Cheers,
Nigel aka asyado
Insanity is only one gear change away!!!

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:43 pm

Sounds great, see you both on Sunday. I will probably join the convoy as it heads through Paraparaumu.

BlueZ
Z Club Member

Post by BlueZ » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:49 pm

Mike

I've invited a 350Z newbie for the run to see what we are about etc. Seemed positive that she would come so possible 2 more people for numbers.

Alan

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:05 pm

Great, the more the merrier.

asyado

Post by asyado » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:22 pm

Hi all,
well it was a fairly brisk day and overcast, but the number of classic cars, both Japanese, English, European and American which were fly'in past me while I waited up on the side of the road for Mike and the others to come through from Wellington was enough to brighten anybody's day.
Me newly purchased 260Z 2+2 ran like a dream for the whole trip and I was pretty excited to finally get a Z event under my belt without having to be a passenger or run with my motorbike or daily driver, lol.
We had been invited to follow up and tag along with a band of classic car owners for the day and there was a mix of all, Mustang, Triumph, Capri, Cortina but to name a few.
Mike will hopefully be able to tell us the actual name of their car club, as I didn't manage to to attain it while on our journeys.

We flew into Fielding around mid day and first port of call was an Irish pub the, "Murphy's Pub", for a spot of lunch.
Got to meet up with a younger guy with a white 280zx. He was from Wanganui. It didn't take long before the camera's came out and we got Mike's 240z, my 260z and his 280z in a line up for some photo's, of which I'll try and post up tomorrow once I get out of my graveyard shift coffin, lol.
While taking some pic's of the z's, these two women who had a Holden Barina hatch, which was parked next to Mike's 240z, they called out to me to take a few pic's of them and their ride as well, lol.
I was as polite and as diplomatic as I could possibly be in not taking up their offer of a photoshoot, but they seemed somewhat disappointed all the same that their ride wasn't of the same interest level of the other cars, hehe.
Once lunch was over, we grouped up for the short trip to the Fielding Pioneer museum on the other side of town.
For ten big ones, we got an introduction, (pre walk through), of the formation of the museum, which was started from a few individuals who had their own private collections which were then grouped together and the future intended plans of the museum.
Once inside, it was a well laid out collection of early pioneering machines, like steam powered engines, horse drawn carts and wagons, period worn clothing, well described early processing industries like saw milling and being Fielding of course, the local farming practices of the time, with the tools and implements like plough's, hay harvesters, shearing equipment, seed drills and fertilizer spreaders, all of which sported the wooden spoke wheels or machine driven belt pulleys of the day.
The museum now holds one of the most impressive John Deere tractor collections in the world, with one model thought to be the only one left in the world. Every one of the twenty plus machines which had been donated by the owner to the museum for future preservation. Each and every one had been individually stripped down to every single last nut and bolt and was then fully rebuilt back to new, with any sub standard part replaced. They all had new paint and tyres on them, with all of them in, an in new condition. Some of the early ones used a small petrol engine mounted alongside, which was started up, to then turn the diesel engine and fire it into life.
My head started spinning numbers as I looked around at the collection, as to how much money this one man had thrown at this many tractors to complete his own personal collection.
My guesstimation was somewhere around half a mil, if not more and though I didn't ask, I would be fairly confident of my figure in mind.
Along with all of the machinery, there were period photo's of the people of the day, people doing what they did as it happened and as Fred Dagg would have said it, "you just don't know how lucky you are", with what we take for granted in this now modern lifestyle we are blessed with now.
The museum takes a good hour or more, to see all of the items on offer and I personally would have to say that I was most impressed.
Being an ex farming boy myself, I was certainly taken down memory lane when looking at some of the equipment, some of which I had played on as a kid on my fathers own farm.
To me it was ten big ones well spent, if just for the history alone and I found myself somewhat bemused that I didn't even know that this place existed at all.
I would fully recommend to anyone who has an interest in history, mechanical workings or just plain old Kiwi number 8 can do attitude, to take the time to visit this museum if they are in Fielding,(more than likely at Manfield race track), which by the way is only just a stones throw down the road from the museum.
Well that is my account of our enjoyable day out zedding and hope to see some of our other Wellington club members along at the next planned event.
Catcha!!!!!!
Nigel aka asyado

us2
Z Club Member
Location: Weymouth by the sea.Auckland.Don't dream it ,be there

Post by us2 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:04 pm

Awesome Nigel. I love the old stuff too, being one of them myself. :lol: Thanks.

Brian.
Last edited by us2 on Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
!972 240z
Retirement is great. Growing old sucks.

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:43 pm

Great write-up Nigel.

The cruise was organised by The Collectable Car Club in the Lower North Island and just a minor correction in that the museum we visited was the Coach House Museum. Like Nigel says, this is well worth a visit if you are ever visiting or passing through Feilding.

I have some photos to load up once I get to transfer them off my phone.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:43 am

It really is exciting to see the numbers of club members growing across the country and coming along and enjoying the events the becoming financial members of the club. :D And to see exuberant write-ups about events like this, well done Nigel! 8)
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

asyado

Post by asyado » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:40 pm

Hi all,
well as promised, here are a few pic's I took on me iphone.
First three pic's are of the attending Z cars, from left to right, my 260Z 2+2, the guy from Wanganui's 280ZX and Mike's 240Z.

The Barina mentioned in my story is just to the right of Mike's car, hehe. Maybe I should have asked the ladies to pose in front of the Z's instead, lol.

All we needed was a blue Z and we would have been showing the Datsun colours, lol.

This 280ZX wasn't what one would call mint, but it certainly was sporting some extra widened rims, hehe.

Side view, 280ZX.

I think he was trying to go stealth on the cam rocker cover, lol. Certainly not a finish I've seen on a Z before.

I never seem to be able to not take pic's of Mike's 240Z whenever I'm at an event. It is just too photogenic I suppose.

Yep, that is Targa fire engine red folks, hehe.

The power plant, immaculate as always.

Mike's now sporting and has upgraded to his new Wilwood pots on the front and rear.

I suppose you might be wondering why I took so many pic's of Mike's car and not any of my own. Well if I were to get to close to mine, the sins would start to show, so I'll stick to the star attraction out of the three cars.

Just as good at the back, as in the front.

Last pic, the name says it all, "Samuri", it certainly cuts a good photo as well.

I'm now thinking that with all of these 260Z's starting to come out of the woodworks Mike, I'm wondering if we might end up with the 240Z's being out numbered, lol.
Looking forward to seeing those Z's dusted off for the next Wellington Z event and thanks Mike for yet again organizing another excellent day out.
P.S. Almost forgot, we forgot flick some coin for the clubs charity, so I will make a double deposit at the next meet.
Catcha!!!
Nigel aka asyado

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:48 pm

Cool pics! That rocker cover is quite neat. Any closer pics?
Next - Z Club events:

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:40 pm

Apparently the pattern on the rocker cover is achieved by a white base then a coat of black and it is then wrapped with glad-wrap while the paint is still wet. Interesting!

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:48 pm

old_datto_fan wrote:Apparently the pattern on the rocker cover is achieved by a white base then a coat of black and it is then wrapped with glad-wrap while the paint is still wet. Interesting!
Interesting, as it has almost a 3d effect. 8)
Next - Z Club events: