Rear end conversion, recommendations

Restores, Revamps and Repairs
scott h

Rear end conversion, recommendations

Post by scott h » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:44 pm

Hi all, I’m new to the Z club, after recommendations for a straight forward (if possible) rear end conversion for my 75 260z 2+2, wanting strong lsd diff, axles, discs and hubs, currently running LS3, any input / recommendations would be much appreciated.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:03 pm

Welcome to the forum. One of the others with old school Z knowledge will be along.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:51 am

As I understand it the R200 is mainly used when fitting more horsepower. The Longnose R200's are hard to get but the easiest to fit. You would only need a 280zx rear mount bar. Ideally, the later short nose R200 would be best but require a lot more effort and also certification to fit. You can search this on Google plenty of info on that.
Have you checked the Technical Thread on this forum? Maybe someone else has loaded info about this. I am also keen to get info on what you end up doing as it is really helpful to have this sorts of builds posted up for others. some pics of the work would be great as well.

Thanks Bernie
Bernie Kant
Club President

scott h

Post by scott h » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:49 am

Hi Bernie,

Thanks for your reply, yes I also believe the long nose r200 is a lot simplier to install, I have a good engineer involved and will certainly be getting everything certified, will post pics soon as car is currently nearing an end of a 6 month panel and paint job! Will also keep posted of which route I take for rear end conversion.

Thanks Scott

Baker93
Z Club Member

Post by Baker93 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:19 am

Hi Scott.
What are you using the car for ?

scott h

Post by scott h » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:14 pm

Hi there, car will predominately be used for normal weekend cruising with the odd organised street sprint, any ideas? Cheers

Baker93
Z Club Member

Post by Baker93 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:02 pm

R200 will be fine. Choose a good CV style rear end conversion and find 260z stub axles or get some made if they dont come with the CV conversion.

DeeCee

Post by DeeCee » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:16 pm

Hey Scott, to elaborate on the PM I sent you, I will be undertaking a body conversion to mount a Nissan rear subframe which will have the R200, CV axles, 5 stud hubs, etc etc into my Z.

I looked in depth at the options and I've seen people continue to try to modify existing parts to customise a solution to fit the existing design and dimensions of the Z suspensions. While this can happily work, I'd prefer to not be a slave to customisation of componentry and I'd rather modify the body of the Z to fit OEM components which I can find easily in NZ.

1) yes, the rear track width will be wider than the standard Z
2) no, I will not go down the T3 rear end conversion route due to my thoughts I have provided in the PM (anyone else, it's not a secret so let me know if you want me to share my perspective)
3) purists look away... anyway, no motor/ no gearbox/ rusty shell.. it was unlikely I would have restored it to its glorious 2.0L factory spec lol

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:46 am

Good for, you car is what you appreciate, go for it. Keep us posted once you get underway.
Bernie Kant
Club President

MBlades

Post by MBlades » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:09 pm

DeeCee wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:16 pm Hey Scott, to elaborate on the PM I sent you, I will be undertaking a body conversion to mount a Nissan rear subframe which will have the R200, CV axles, 5 stud hubs, etc etc into my Z.

I looked in depth at the options and I've seen people continue to try to modify existing parts to customise a solution to fit the existing design and dimensions of the Z suspensions. While this can happily work, I'd prefer to not be a slave to customisation of componentry and I'd rather modify the body of the Z to fit OEM components which I can find easily in NZ.

1) yes, the rear track width will be wider than the standard Z
2) no, I will not go down the T3 rear end conversion route due to my thoughts I have provided in the PM (anyone else, it's not a secret so let me know if you want me to share my perspective)
3) purists look away... anyway, no motor/ no gearbox/ rusty shell.. it was unlikely I would have restored it to its glorious 2.0L factory spec lol
So what were your thoughts on the T3 gear ?

Regards

Mark

DeeCee

Post by DeeCee » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:50 pm

Ask and you shall receive Mark
As for the T3 R200 conversion, well, I made enquiries with Gabe and he seemed really reluctant to give me geometry and full material specs of everything in one go so I could compile the information for LVVTA Technical Design Approval. I can understand as I was essentially asking for T3 intellectual property and he doesn't know me from a bar of soap, but it was still rather disheartening to not receive a positive and supportive response to assist me.

Subsequently, I was left with the prospect of having to import all the components I wanted and then be stuck with equipment that may not pass the cert process. When we're talking ~$15k+ to buy and import stuff into NZ and get knocked back if Gabe wasn't going to be forthcoming on materials and specs, I wasn't encouraged to go the effort.

So that in mind, I looked at alternatives and what else I can do with my Z and I have settled on a conversion, but I will be modifying the body to fit OEM Nissan parts vs buying custom components to fit the car.

Decision making approach:
1) Buying custom components which need to be replaced with custom components if damaged vs OEM components either new or second hand in NZ. Parts accessibility and serviceability was high on my list
2) Cost of importing said custom components and prospect of getting knocked back, and me throwing away $15k
3) Replacing existing late 60s drivetrain design with modern component replacements vs actually updating the drivetrain so it handles (hopefully) like a modern car
4) A bigger market of aftermarket component availability once I move to a modern drivetrain and suspension design.

So I bought a modern Nissan a couple of months ago and will look at how to modify the body to fit the modern drivetrain components and subframes. Meets my goals and I'm not a slave to maintaining T3 parts on the car as I will be able to easily replace with OEM or readily available aftermarket parts.

And the Z car project won't start for at least another year. Got other cars to finish up beforehand. I'm slow and patient like that as I save money, work on my plan and approach and make sure my ducks are lined in a row.

As for the T3 conversion, I have little doubt that it would have passed LVVTA TDA, but I wasn't going to put myself in a bad financial position based on an assumption, and I didn't want to be a slave to T3 branded parts and design. 

I thought that the rear shock and hub carrier design was especially problematic as it is an integrated solution, and doesn't allow for use of aftermarket shocks. I also wasn't favourable on the hub design being mig-welded plates of mild steel and Gabe's welder not having sufficient evidence that he is competent except for the story that he welded nuclear subs for the Navy. That is pretty heavy grounds to get knocked back by LVVTA if non-destructive testing proves his welding is shit and I am left with trying to get the something replicated which meets LVVTA requirements. 

Hopefully that explains my perspective and direction that I will be going with the car.

Cheers, Dave

MBlades

Post by MBlades » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:51 pm

Thanks Dave, can totally understand it, it’s a large chunk of money from T3 just to be knocked back, I like your OEM idea, if you have the skills to pull it off

Regards
Mark