300zx racecar

Restores, Revamps and Repairs
martysauce

Post by martysauce » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:25 pm

started making my headligt brakets today. i was wondering why my welds were turning to crap ( probably mainly my crap welding) then i relised im out of gas. auto bend have bent me up a couple more tubes that will suport the headlight weight and the bumper

Image[/img]

martysauce

Post by martysauce » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:32 pm

also started making my intercooler piping the vg has a whole spagetti bolignaise off piping so its very confusing trying to sort each line of pipes without coaking up another

Image[/img]

martysauce

Post by martysauce » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:36 pm

also a catch can turned up so i mounted that. have to adjust it slightly tho it doesnt quite clear the bonnet

Image[/img]

martysauce

Post by martysauce » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:47 pm

also im pretty set on having the exhaust exit through the body of the car in front of the back wheel, like my favorite car ever steve millens imsa 300zx ,except i still need the doors to work so i would have to bring it up through were the rear passangers used to sit and out the side. does anyone no the actual rules on this for track use , of course i would build a box around the part that was in the cab

Image[/img]

martysauce

Post by martysauce » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:14 pm

decided to make a panel to fill the space between the main tube and headlight im going to press a 50mm dimple die were each of those 12mm holes is. im not sure if im happy with them yet so il see how i feel when they are finished. im probbly going to paint the whole tube front black.

also i welded some nuts to the main tube and remounted the hood latch

Image[/img]

mikec(nz)
Z Club Member

Post by mikec(nz) » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:42 am

You can get close to that side exhaust look while running the exhaust under the car, there is a perfect gap for it each side.

[albumimg]1787[/albumimg]

The motorsport rules are

5.2 Exhaust system:
(1) General Requirements: All vehicles shall be fitted with an efficient and effective silencer that:
(a) Ensures noise emissions do not exceed 95dBA (refer Part One Article 3.8), and
(b) Is securely mounted to the vehicle, and
(c) Is isolated from the cockpit, either beneath the floor or surrounded by gas tight ducting, and
(d) Ensures all exhaust gases exit the perimeter of the vehicle behind the mid-point of the wheelbase except where an allowance is granted by MotorSport NZ and noted in the vehicles MotorSport NZ Logbook.
(e) Does not protrude more than 150mm beyond the bodywork.

martysauce

Post by martysauce » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:37 am

[quote="mikec(nz)"]You can get close to that side exhaust look while running the exhaust under the car, there is a perfect gap for it each side.

cheers mikec i might do that first

mikec(nz)
Z Club Member

Post by mikec(nz) » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:24 pm

Heres a video on the exhaust - its pretty bad video but a good shot of the exhaust. However we have we have rebuilt the first half again out of stainless and will prob do the back half as well :)

You tube exhaust video

martysauce

Post by martysauce » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:13 pm

mikec(nz) wrote:Heres a video on the exhaust - its pretty bad video but a good shot of the exhaust. However we have we have rebuilt the first half again out of stainless and will prob do the back half as well :)
sounds pretty good

martysauce

Post by martysauce » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:25 pm

a little more progress on the tube front. I tacked in the vertical bars to support the top tube, ignore the welds there just tacked with my crappy gassles mig ill tig it at the end. made one cock up were i made a tube to short but when its fully welded with the spacer you will not be able to see it.

so just mount the headlights and bumper to go

Image[/img]

martysauce

Post by martysauce » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:29 pm

also my brother came around with his roofing tools and whipped me up a door card, it came out awsome

Image[/img]

martysauce

Post by martysauce » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:56 pm

so i have been waiting to finish the tube front because i ran out of argon. in the mean time i got a plenum i was planning on cutting up and trying to weld closed unused ports but i decided to polish it up. i might hang it on the wall for a later project or sell it

Image[/img]

martysauce

Post by martysauce » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:01 pm

20 mins later.... oh did i say 20 minutes sorry i ment 4 HOURS later, sanding and all types of grinders its at this stage

Image[/img]

still havent even touched the polish yet so id say another 3 hours to go

fome dome

Post by fome dome » Thu May 17, 2018 10:04 am

Cool build thread am enjoying the progress picks.
Good work 8)

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Thu May 17, 2018 3:34 pm

Reward in the effort!!
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.