300zx racecar

Restores, Revamps and Repairs
martysauce

Post by martysauce » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:43 pm

Image[/img]

martysauce

Post by martysauce » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:40 pm

with the top bracket done i can stand on it and it doesnt even flex so a tad overkill :D

Image[/img]

martysauce

Post by martysauce » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:44 pm

here you can see why aliepress is cheep, the end tanks are slightly wonky but with the bumper on you cant tell. i still need to pressure test the rad and intercooler to make sure they dont leak

Image[/img]

mikec(nz)
Z Club Member

Post by mikec(nz) » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:28 pm

I thought there needed to be a bit of flex and movement on the radiator and intecooler mounting to avoid cracking when hitting bumps or ripple strips. They are quite fragile. Normally a bit of rubber works or mount on something that has a bit of flex.

Looks like we are both doing similar things (well my mechanic is). Decided to go with the Bell intercooler and radiator cores - quality is nice and they are to the mm as what we ordered. Service was great too.

mikec(nz)
Z Club Member

Post by mikec(nz) » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:30 pm

Duplicate post deleted
Last edited by mikec(nz) on Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

martysauce

Post by martysauce » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:17 pm

[quote="mikec(nz)"]I thought there needed to be a bit of flex and movement on the radiator and intecooler mounting to avoid cracking when hitting bumps or ripple strips. They are quite fragile. Normally a bit of rubber works or mount on something that has a bit of flex.

Looks like we are both doing similar things (well my mechanic is). Decided to go with the Bell intercooler and radiator cores - quality is nice and they are to the mm as what we ordered. Service was great

that looks bloody good. there will be rubber on the rad mounts for abit of movment but im taking the risk with the intercooler.

not quite as profesonal looking as yours but im doin my best, i really like giving it ago. it might just blow up when (if) it ever makes it back to the track haha

martysauce

Post by martysauce » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:44 pm

mounted the oil cooler today, just have to get 2 -10 90s to curve around the radiator then i can plumb it in to my sandwich plate.

does any one know if it would be better to have the oil feed go to the top of the cooler and drain back from the bottom or will it not matter. i have a thermostat plate so wont be working all the time

Image[/img]

martysauce

Post by martysauce » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:33 pm

my friend and i hooked up the oil cooler to the sandwich plate. il be deleting the original small oil cooler and just running one big one. i didnt realise aeroflow made a -10 90 that flows more and acidently got two of each stye

Image[/img]

djz

Post by djz » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:43 pm

Genuine Wishiwoto? I plumbed my oiler cooler with the inlet at the top and outlet at the bottom, seemed like the logical way to me.
Nissan 280ZX 2 seater RB26 powered.

Baker93
Z Club Member

Post by Baker93 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:21 am

The main thing is to ensure you control the airflow through all the coolers with suitable shrouding and ducting.

martysauce

Post by martysauce » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:44 pm

djz wrote:Genuine Wishiwoto? I plumbed my oiler cooler with the inlet at the top and outlet at the bottom, seemed like the logical way to me.
yeah genuine :D haha its not actually upside down im just not sure how to rotate images and forgot to hold my phone sideways
Last edited by martysauce on Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

martysauce

Post by martysauce » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:50 pm

Baker93 wrote:The main thing is to ensure you control the airflow through all the coolers with suitable shrouding and ducting.
yeah im going to make aluminium shroulds to force air through, or carbon fiber if i feel fancy. i did what alot of people do at the track and removed the nose panel, believe it or not the air comes through the bumper hits the rad and goes straight out were your nose panel usually is. so i noticed the car ran hotter. im not going to run a nose panel but will have shrould to stop air coming out and also allow air through were the nose panel was

martysauce

Post by martysauce » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:54 pm

like this shroud

https://aus300zx.com/xenforo/index.php? ... 56/page-26

also iv made a splitter similar to this out of carbon fiber but im not real happy with it so might do it again. (its bubbled abit and abit flimsy) didnt fall off at 100ks tho

martysauce

Post by martysauce » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:21 pm

i ended up going the cheaper option and getting autobend to bend up the tube for the tube front, it turned out really well so i cut it to length and welded it on to the plates .
the prop sitting on the oil cooler is just temporary till i add the two braces that will weld to the intercooler mount rail and also pick up the tabs for mounting the bumper

Image[/img]

martysauce

Post by martysauce » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:23 pm

Image[/img]