300zx racecar

Restores, Revamps and Repairs
martysauce

Post by martysauce » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:00 pm

Image[/img]

martysauce

Post by martysauce » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:03 pm

i just found this. i took the car to ruapuna and raced it round before i cut it up

Image[/img]

mikec(nz)
Z Club Member

Post by mikec(nz) » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:45 pm

Was chatting about racecar exhausts and my mechanic said the exhaust must exit the vehicle cant dump under the vehicle (like you does behind the diff).
Ensures all exhaust gases exit the perimeter of the vehicle behind the mid-point of the wheelbase except where an allowance is granted by MotorSport NZ and noted in the vehicles MotorSport NZ Logbook.
So you might need to modify that too to get a logbook/pass scruitineering.

We did an exhaust like this - borderline on the 95DBa, but flows well.

martysauce

Post by martysauce » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:38 pm

[quote="mikec(nz)"]Was chatting about racecar exhausts and my mechanic said the exhaust must exit the vehicle cant dump under the vehicle (like you does behind the diff).

[quote]Ensures all exhaust gases exit the perimeter of the vehicle behind the mid-point of the wheelbase except where an allowance is granted by MotorSport NZ and noted in the vehicles MotorSport NZ Logbook.[/quote]

So you might need to modify that too to get a logbook/pass scruitineering.

We did an exhaust like this - borderline on the 95DBa, but flows
[img]http://www.mdcracing.co.nz/redzexhaust16.jpg[/img][/quote]
oh ok thanks i will be able to cut and extend it in the future your exhaust looks abit nicer then myn

DRFTIN

Post by DRFTIN » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:16 pm

as the guy who does most of the noise testing at Ruapuna i'm going to have a guess that the exhaust you've built there will give you one lap before we tell you to quieten it before doing lap 2
plus the body exiting issue as mentioned

martysauce

Post by martysauce » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:23 pm

DRFTIN wrote:as the guy who does most of the noise testing at Ruapuna i'm going to have a guess that the exhaust you've built there will give you one lap before we tell you to quieten it before doing lap 2
plus the body exiting issue as mentioned
cheers for that. do you no the rules for exhaust going up through the cab and out the side in front of the back wheel ? thinking about doing something a little difrent

mikec(nz)
Z Club Member

Post by mikec(nz) » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:19 pm

Well here is a video of my side exit 300zx exhaust but it doesn't go through the cab?????

video link

martysauce

Post by martysauce » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:42 pm

mikec(nz) wrote:Well here is a video of my side exit 300zx exhaust but it doesn't go through the cab?????

video link
oh nice that was the original idea its nice to no that the exhaust was able to fit under the rail.

thats why i was thinking about going through the cab were the foot well of the rear passanger is ,up over the chasis rail(the car no longer has any rear seats) and out the body with a 75mm hole saw

also what class are you racing in. haha im building this car not knowing what class it will be able to compete in

mikec(nz)
Z Club Member

Post by mikec(nz) » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:17 pm

a 600-800 deg exhaust in the cabin would not be fun. You can feel the heat from the turbos through the firewall, can't imagine a exhaust inside and the noise ......

I have been racing a different car in Historic Saloon Cars recently. There are not many classes a 300ZX fits in,probably only Classic Japanese and NZGT/GT1. Maybe Superlap.

martysauce

Post by martysauce » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:04 am

id have to build a box around it. dont worry i havnt gone and hacked a big hole in my floor and body panel for it yet, i have to sort the tube front 1st having abit of an isue getting a bender.

also if anyone needs any z32 parts i have almost a whole car minus engine and a few little things , so let me no it is kept out of town so wont be able to grab the bits straight away but weekends should be fine :D

martysauce

Post by martysauce » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:45 pm

new radiator turned up, aliexpress pulled through haha, it actually seems to be pretty good quality ill pressure test it at some stage its a pretty big 3 core radiador and only 240 bucks.
also put my meisters on the front their 18x10 18offset with 8mm spacers to clear the brakes. tyres are 265 35 potenza (re55?) semi slicks.
On the back i have some dirty old rota mxr's in need of a paint, 18x11 11offset i might put 275 35s full slicks on or try squeeze some 295s in :D :D

Image[/img]

martysauce

Post by martysauce » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:52 pm

Image[/img]

martysauce

Post by martysauce » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:00 pm

thinking about not having a radiator support and making brackets with clamps on them to hold the radiator. then having bonnet pins mounted to the strut towers.

here is the brackets made out of a cracker box would need nice rounded corners and a couple of adjustments but its the general jist
Image[/img]

martysauce

Post by martysauce » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:51 pm

went and got some 2mm steel plate today and made the brackets to hold the radiator. il but some rubber on the clamp part to stop the bolt wearing through rad. it holds its nice and tight there is zero movement

Image[/img]

martysauce

Post by martysauce » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:31 pm

made up the bottom inter cooler bracket today the piping should clear the chassis rails fine.
don't worry about the tape at the top, i might run a tube between the rails and weld some tabs to mount the top of the cooler to.
i'm not sure if i should put the oil cooler on the same bar or on the outside of the chassis rail to keep the cool air flow clear to the radiator.