1973 240z rear control arms

Restores, Revamps and Repairs
Cohen_Brewerton

1973 240z rear control arms

Post by Cohen_Brewerton » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:17 pm

I have put xyz coil over suspension through out the car and reinstalled all suspension components and upgraded to bigger wheels, I have realised that the rear right wheel is 15mm away from the front of the wheel arch, on the other side it's closer to 30mm. This causes rubbing.
Does anyone know why this could be? Hoping it's something as simple as the wrong control arm on the wrong side and not accident damage.

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:04 pm

240Z control arms are interchangeable side to side so it shouldn't be that they are fitted the wrong way around. It is possible to bend a control arm though, especially in either an accident or if you have used a big press to remove old bushes. Are the bushes standard? You can get adjustable inner bushes which if adjusted differently could make the 2 sides different.

Cohen_Brewerton

Post by Cohen_Brewerton » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:06 pm

I have recently installed polyurethane bushes, so it sounds likes it's been bent then, cheers

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:13 pm

I would suggest that you have bent suspension
Bernie Kant
Club President

Cohen_Brewerton

Post by Cohen_Brewerton » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:14 pm

So I should track down a new lower control arm or just buy an adjustable set?

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:04 pm

Get a new arm first as adjustable bushes may not be enough to get it set up correctly. Sounds like you need a wheel alignment too as that should pick up if each side of the rear is different.

Cohen_Brewerton

Post by Cohen_Brewerton » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:10 pm

I'll take the bent one off and line if up with the straight side and check. For a wheel alignment, they said it was out but there is 0 adjustment in the rear

agecage
Z Club Member

Post by agecage » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:14 am

Cohen_Brewerton wrote:So I should track down a new lower control arm or just buy an adjustable set?
You'll need a cert if you put adjustable suspension parts on.

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:21 am

agecage wrote:
Cohen_Brewerton wrote:So I should track down a new lower control arm or just buy an adjustable set?
You'll need a cert if you put adjustable suspension parts on.
He stated he has xyz coil overs so a cert is required anyway

Zhead
Z Club Member

Post by Zhead » Wed May 03, 2017 10:46 am

How did you get on solving the problem.
I have also found this issue although I cant find any sign of distortion in the arms or the rest of the subframe components. I swapped the arms over for left to right but there was minimal change.
14mm toe out rhs 4mm toe in lhs.

Cohen_Brewerton

Post by Cohen_Brewerton » Wed May 03, 2017 12:30 pm

Took arm off and it was really bent. All fixed with new control arm. Once 26det is running, I plan on adjustable arms anyway so itll all be adjusted to suit the new set up then