Z33 kinda project

Restores, Revamps and Repairs
DRFTIN

Z33 kinda project

Post by DRFTIN » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:25 pm

yeah its not a project as much, but i've got a car and there will be the occasional mod
needed somewhere to post pics...

Picked it up a couple of months ago:
2007 Z33 Fairlady
HR motor and 6 speed of course
Impul 933S body kit, hated pics of the front but its not so bad in person. just discovered i can remove the fog light inserts too so might have to give that a go
19x9 +15 & 19x10 -2 Work Seeker wheels

seems pretty standard otherwise

DRFTIN

Post by DRFTIN » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:32 pm

picked up some Parts Shop Max coilovers in Auckland before heading down to Hamilton to get the car, gotta make sure its going to be low or its no use to me :p
turned out it came through to compliance on cut springs so they threw some Tein lowering springs in, way too high

gathered a full set of rear adjustable arms, Truhart brand i'm not so excited about but they have rubber bushes and cert man likes the brand
apparently i can't cert the rear "true coilovers" but i'll work around that ;) seems silly to me but i wont convince them otherwise

got them all installed this weekend: (oh and fitted one of my p/plate collection the other day too)

got some 15mm spacers to put on the front too but i reckon i need about 0.5deg more front camber to make them work, might just grab some eccentric bushes soon

next mod probably some "test pipes", got a feeling the cats are a bit blocked up and i wouldnt mind a slight dB increase without going silly

Luxo

Post by Luxo » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:28 pm

Looks great man. I'd recommend resonated test pipes, sadly our exhausts get quite raspy and the only way I've found around it so far (without spending $1000 on Art pipes) is with a Motordyne resonated Y pipe. As Im sure you know there's an ocean of info on My350z.com. Also the guys at Conceptzperformance.com are helpful and usually ship anything from their shop in the US to your door in under a week, they've got EVERYTHING.

Good luck with the Z!

Once mines finished (cough) we should arrange a cruise.
2005 350Z ST money pit.

HasMilk

Post by HasMilk » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:03 pm

Man, second lot of photos do the car way better justice! I just fitted some cheapish test/decat pipes from TradeMe to my 03 Z, bit of weight reduction and my car now has some throat to it (stock was almost silent).
Your guards are filled nicely too :)
In a long distance relationship with my 260z

DRFTIN

Post by DRFTIN » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:37 pm

yeah that inch or so lower and a bit of a clean makes a massive difference

pretty torn on what to do with the exhaust, i like how its quiet-ish (yeah i'm old) but i also know it has the potential to sound awesome (or the potential to sound terrible if i screw it up)
will give it a while until i've heard a few more in person

DRFTIN

Post by DRFTIN » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:36 pm

Stole a photographer for a few mins while he was doing a shoot.
Black cars suck though, had cleaned it the day before and gave it a wipe down but still filthy...

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:08 pm

Love the 3rd photo in particular. Zeddy is looking good. Seriously cool plate by the way!!!!
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

DRFTIN

Post by DRFTIN » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:10 am

discovered the fog light surround can be removed easily so whipped them out. bit of a mission to get at the last bolt without removing the bumper but got there. gotta love quality Japanese parts, made it so easy
bit of black paint seems to do a good enough job of hiding everything in behind. might consider some carbon blanking plates like my mate wants me to do but i think it will look weird

crap picture but you get the idea

next i need to get my hands on some front camber eccentric bushes, they seem to be really uncommon though. Anyone seen them around for a non ridiculous price?

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:54 am

She's looking good.

Fog lights are one thing I really miss on the Z, been the odd run we've done quite early or an evening drive in winter when they would be good.
Next - Z Club events:

DRFTIN

Post by DRFTIN » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:50 pm

yeah i do really like having fog/driving lights but the bezels were too ugly

had HID ones in there originally but they pulled them out at compliance, were probably wired wrong for nz rules

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:31 am

DRFTIN wrote:yeah i do really like having fog/driving lights but the bezels were too ugly

had HID ones in there originally but they pulled them out at compliance, were probably wired wrong for nz rules
What a pity, as fog light are really useful at times.
Next - Z Club events:

DRFTIN

Post by DRFTIN » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:13 pm

jap auction shot with them in:

DRFTIN

Post by DRFTIN » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:38 pm

managed to get this thing certified a couple of weeks ago, was a bit of a mission but she's legal now

my Parts Shop Max coilovers aren't "legal" due to being a coilover design rather than the standard seperate spring/shock so i bought some BC's (which have since been sold on)
sounds like it should have been easy but without the adjustable arm, the toe was ridiculous, at times i had 10-20mm toe each side! which made for some interesting driving
eccentric bushes in the front fixed camber but i might still get a proper arm so i can fine tune it easier

ended up at 330mm front, 335 rear which isnt too bad a height. will probably drop it back down 10-15 which will keep it within the 5% you're allowed

upgrade to the audio system next i think
currently have a double din touch screen which i want to hook up front and rear reversing cameras (you'll all know how hard these cars are to see out the back of). only speakers right now are a pair of speakers which look like they are components but missing the crossover and tweeter, sound is better than you'd think but i might switch them to the back and get something good in the front and try to make a small sub fit in a box in the spot a bose sub would be

Luxo

Post by Luxo » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:58 pm

I went through all that hassle in November last year. Asked for my adjustable suspension, adjustable camber and toe arms and wheels to be certified. He called me and said it'd passed on everything and congratulated me for being like the 5th car of the year to pass first go. I picked it up and took it for a WOF the following week without checking cert plate.. Next thing the WOF guy rings me and says it hasn't been certified for the suspension uhhhhhgh. It's like the Cert guy forgot to do it or there was a misprint on the tag. Rang the shops answer message 3 times and not once got a call back.
Wankers I'll be going to Timaru next.
2005 350Z ST money pit.

Luxo

Post by Luxo » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:59 pm

So currently I'm only certified for all adjustable arms and wheels lol
2005 350Z ST money pit.