My first Z (1975 260Z 2+2+V8)

Restores, Revamps and Repairs
Dapat88

My first Z (1975 260Z 2+2+V8)

Post by Dapat88 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:59 pm

Hi all,
Name is Dave, I'm Scottish but currently live in Christchurch... found this forum while searching for Z cars.

Im new to the whole S30 game but have admired the cars for a long time so when one came up for sale near me I decided to have a look and made a bid, sadly it went for more than I was willing to pay for it but through some miracle it came back up for sale a few weeks later (sale fell through) so once again I bid and this time won the auction. Some of you may recognise it from trademe a few weeks back.

This is the lucky lady herself...

Needs a bit of TLC... and when I say a bit I mean a lot. Anyway something to keep me busy and spend all my money on eh?

Started stripping it down and poking around and found a number of fairly rusted areas...

with plenty more rust underneath meaning I will have to replace the floors and rails. Fun. Any advice on people or places who would do this in Christchurch for a reasonable price would be greatly appreciated...

So far I have accumulated a few new bits and pieces:

Top of the list is the new engine (maybe not if it is too difficult to cert): a 4L V8, the 1UZ with a W58 gearbox from a supra behind it.
All new polyurethane bushings
Two pot front brake callipers
Rear Spoiler
Front spoiler/splitter
New wing mirrors (not decided where to mount these yet, door or wing?)
All new rubber seals for pretty much everything (doors, windows, bonnet etc..)
New larger radiator (might look at a single or twin fan set up as well, thoughts?)
15/16 Brake booster.

I'm sure this list will grow longer and longer with time...

So I will hopefully keep updating this as often as I can or whenever I accomplish something or need help!

marrow

Post by marrow » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:04 pm

Nice. I was going to say I saw someone selling a 1UZ-FE with Link, but you're sorted.
What did you do for the radiator? That's next on my list to replace.

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:29 am

Welcome Dave, good luck with the repower, make sure it'll physically fit (widthways) before you go shopping, some are easier than others.

Dapat88

Post by Dapat88 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:28 pm

marrow wrote:Nice. I was going to say I saw someone selling a 1UZ-FE with Link, but you're sorted.
What did you do for the radiator? That's next on my list to replace.
My Radiator was or rather is pretty stuffed, full of crap/gunk and damaged. Just bought myself a new one from redline performance. It's still for the 260z so will bolt straight on. will just need some flexible or custom hoses for the 1uz and probably a fan to aid with cooling of the bigger more powerful engine.
Andy wrote:Welcome Dave, good luck with the repower, make sure it'll physically fit (widthways) before you go shopping, some are easier than others.
Thanks Andy, have seen the conversion done is several 260' and 240's. Seems to fit pretty well, might have to move/adjust a couple things. Problem may come from how far back it has to sit to get the gear lever in the right place. Might foul with the clutch master cylinder... but I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

waidez
Z Club Member

Post by waidez » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:10 pm

Welcome Dave. Great to see you've got some big plans for your Z. Look forward to checking out your progress. Lots of help and advice from club members so ask if you need.

Dapat88

Post by Dapat88 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:59 pm

So some more progress, got the shell completely stripped of everything.

and a cheeky little picture of the new heart...

Next stage is to possibly get it sand blasted before getting all the rest removed. Actually struggling to find someone willing/able to do the work for a reasonable price. Would do it myself but I don't think I have the skill to get it done to a reasonable standard. Also with the floor I need it to be certified by a repair inspector. Will be fun to jump through those hoops...

Hopefully with the shell out the garage I will have the time and space to start tearing down the suspension and drivetrain to give it a bit of a tidy up and revamp.

The work goes on...

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:43 pm

Dapat88 wrote: Also with the floor I need it to be certified by a repair inspector. Will be fun to jump through those hoops...
So its a dereg? If so they will probably hit you with some of the other repairs which seem structural in places?

agecage
Z Club Member

Post by agecage » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:03 pm

How much u looking to spend at the panel beaters? 10g dosnt go very far now adays.

Dapat88

Post by Dapat88 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:02 pm

Andy wrote: So its a dereg? If so they will probably hit you with some of the other repairs which seem structural in places?
Yeah the reg lapsed with the old owner.
I think the areas close to corners/windows will need inspection but not the normal panel stuff... Will find out soon enough when I have the inspector take a look at it and tell me what needs doing. Will be arranging that this week.
agecage wrote:How much u looking to spend at the panel beaters? 10g dosnt go very far now adays.
Tell me about it. Had a couple quotes for rust repairs alone of $5-6k plus panel and paint on top of that. But said they were too busy wouldn't be able to do the work this year! Will keep looking.
But if there is anyone in Canterbury who can help out with the panel welding then please let me know.
Thanks.

240znz

Post by 240znz » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:37 pm

Have you tried Warwick yet? He's worked on my zed and nothing but good things to say. He may have access to a rotisserie for the shell and although quite busy, worth a phone call at least. He also has a 240z project.

He's "2 doors" on here I think. Send him a PM.
Zed NOT Zee

12/70 HS30-00352
1973 240Z rust car

Dapat88

Post by Dapat88 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:48 pm

240znz wrote:Have you tried Warwick yet? He's worked on my zed and nothing but good things to say. He may have access to a rotisserie for the shell and although quite busy, worth a phone call at least. He also has a 240z project.

He's "2 doors" on here I think. Send him a PM.
Thanks mate. I'll give him a shout and see what he reckons.

Also, got my new wheels today. I know it's a bit early in the project but they were a good size and price so thought I may as well. They are 16x9 et20. Let me know what you think.
Thanks.

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:19 pm

Good size, good score.

Dapat88

Post by Dapat88 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:51 pm

Small progress...

Needing to strip the rubberised under-seal off the shell but not wanting to work under the car. I had to build a rotisserie for it.
Got the idea of 2 engine stands and modifying them for the car.

so after a lot of measuring and double checking and some welding.

I ended up with this...

It's reasonably stable and sturdy enough. Will do the job while i need it.
Hopefully have it stripped and off to get media blasted, primed and sent off to get the rust repaired.

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:41 pm

Nice work on the rotisserie.
Mine is pretty much the same. Was a bit wobbly until we put swivel wheels on it and put 2 cross tubes from base to base to stop the twisting.
Works mint now. Makes such a difference to be able to spin it. Easier for the blasting / repair and painting.
Good luck with resto.
1973 240Z - NZ new - RB25det build in progress
1973 240Z - USA new - 1 owner! In the drivers seat right now. Home soon.

240znz

Post by 240znz » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:44 pm

Reminds me of mine not that long ago. Looking great and keep the pics coming.
Zed NOT Zee

12/70 HS30-00352
1973 240Z rust car