Marrow's '79 280zx

Restores, Revamps and Repairs
marrow

Marrow's '79 280zx

Post by marrow » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:01 pm

Grabbed that 280zx that was on trademe. Needs some love, but at least all the internet research is giving me something to do.

In the last week:
Downloaded the manuals off Xenons130, and got the book on modifying the Datsun OHC engines.
Picked up everything I should need to start repairing rust spots/paint/trim.
Boring mechanical work/servicing to get her to a good DD level.
Got an alarm installed because south auckland -.-

From here: Nothing for the next few weeks while I'm travelling, but I'll try order some Bullet II mirrors and other bits so they'll be here by the time I get back. Join the club if I have time to deal with snailmail.

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:47 pm

If you are thinking of putting bullet mirrors on the front guards make sure you get something with concave mirrors or they will be no help at all,
Bernie Kant
Club President

Greensheep
Z Club Member

Post by Greensheep » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:04 pm

Looks pretty good, will watch with interest, have a good trip.
It's always a good day when you drive a Z

marrow

Post by marrow » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:11 am

Thinking bullets on the door. I like the look, and it sounds like having them all the way down on the guards is pretty small/hard to see, so mainly preferred just for the JDM aesthetic? Not sure what the best way to cover my current holes is though

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:15 am

Actually mirrors on the guards work really well and I find them better than door mirrors.

reliablejunkie
Z Club Member

Post by reliablejunkie » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:04 pm

Yea I quite like mine, I feel like my blind spots are not as bad when changing lanes etc. I agree with the concave mirrors though, a wider vision is always better.
Someone had to make up for all the pollutants these hybrid cars are saving these days, so i cranked up the fuel pressure and let the engine roar.

1983 280ZX L20ET engine with an N42 head running on megasquirt ECU

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:33 pm

Certainly lots of potential. I wasn't keeping tabs on TM. This isn't Ray's old 280 is it?
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

marrow

Post by marrow » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:44 pm

even if door mirrors don't work as well, still better than no mirrors at all. Seems to be a pretty contentious issue. Hopefully they're here by the time I'm back as well.
Who here has redone their interior themselves, trim and all?

Greensheep
Z Club Member

Post by Greensheep » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:40 pm

I have done bits of the 300zx, door cards, t top vinyl, back seat vinyl and I have done some of the interior in my 260z as well, mostly self taught, YouTube is a great resource, the vinyl/plastic and foam under it, in most cars is pretty tired after 25 to 30 years, but it is not hard to get it looking brand new.

marrow

Post by marrow » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:12 am

Yeah, and looks like OEM trim is a scarce resource. If you're not planning on keeping it stock for stock's sake, sounds like it's definitely better to just redo it yourself.

mike260z

Post by mike260z » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:22 am

marrow wrote:Yeah, and looks like OEM trim is a scarce resource. If you're not planning on keeping it stock for stock's sake, sounds like it's definitely better to just redo it yourself.
If you go through a decent re trimmer they will be able to source something matching stock trim or carpet. If they can do it for an S30Z car it surely would be much easier to find for the 280ZX?
74 260z 2+2

marrow

Post by marrow » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:33 pm

Can't wait until I'm back around and the weather is clear so I can do more work on the exterior.
So far trialing different types of vinyl/covering for interior trim.
Found some good paint/primer/clearcoat that matches pretty well so I've started spot tidying the exterior.
removed the dash/console, wiring has been done crazily, joins are just knotted and insulated with sellotape. More fun jobs ahead :D

Also sent away the old z club application :P

Greensheep
Z Club Member

Post by Greensheep » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:06 pm

Did you see that someone on trademe is wrecking a 280zx, located in south Auckland?

marrow

Post by marrow » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:48 pm

Yeah. It was good because they live like 3 streets away from me, and they're the one that told me to join the club.
The downside is that the previous owner had already scavenged some parts I think, so I didn't find much. Not sure which forum member it is though.
Got a centre console lid coming from trademe though. Just got a quote back on shipping the mirrors from zstore, so just having a look at that.

marrow

Post by marrow » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:07 pm

Console lid coming, mirrors coming.
More paint bought. More spots sanded/painted.

Spend the afternoon talking builds, sounds like turbocharging the l28e will also require a massive investment in EFI/wiring/etc, and I'd be better off doing an RB25det swap.
While I'd prefer to keep the l28, the rb25det route would bring me up to a more modern engine with easier part availability, as well as providing an easier solution for doing a manual conversion at the same time.
Anyone here turboed their l28e, or done the rb25 swap? Thoughts on the matter?