Marrow's '79 280zx

Restores, Revamps and Repairs
marrow

Post by marrow » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:37 pm

Yeah I know, but at the moment, it's a bit of a loop.
I'm not planning on turboing it until I have the ECU and new head/manifolds installed, and if I get it done professionally done now, I'm just going to have to go back and have it re-done down the line after I've gone turbo.

I can't turbo it before I've upgraded the ecu, because I need to be able to support running off MAP etc.. so it seems like whichever one I want to do first, requires the other as a prerequisite O.o
I'd like to get it running at current levels, but through Megasquirt's MAP sensor, so then when I eventually turbo it I can have it retuned professionally

marrow

Post by marrow » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:50 pm

So, I've got eibach progressive springs, bushings, and mirrors coming at last, although MSA managed to screw me over pretty well.
Replaced my radiator, although when I went to open the sump to flush it, the whole threaded bung sheared off.. ah well, fixed(ish) for now.

Anyway, time has come for asking more advice
1. I need to bleed my aircon, is it worth trying to do it myself, or is there a safer/cheaper option?

2. I need to get hold of some ecu connection plugs (so I can wire up a little bridge/splice and vampire tap the stock ecu's inputs to test Megasquirt). Every picture on the internet looks like I want this
but taking a quick look at it, the ecu box seems to have two plugs coming directly out of it (one 8pin and one 8+2pin) that look more like
Which should I be trying to track down, and where would be best? Or does anyone have any?

djz

Post by djz » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:54 pm

The big single plug fits the earlier computers, the later computers (maybe '81ish onwards) went to two black plugs. If you want the ECU side of the plug you're probably going to have to buy another computer and unsolder the plugs.
Nissan 280ZX 2 seater RB26 powered.

marrow

Post by marrow » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:04 pm

removed before anyone other than DJZ realises I'm a bit retarded/intimidated by electrics.
Last edited by marrow on Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

djz

Post by djz » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:06 pm

Err that's not the ECU that you've unplugged. The ECU plug is the blueish coloured one on the left hand side of the photo under the cover.

marrow

Post by marrow » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:11 pm

Ok, cheers. The part number/label on whatever I unplugged was almost the same, so I figured it was the ECU.
I'll take a look at the ecu and try find the right sort of plug, then work out where I can get a set.

marrow

Post by marrow » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:51 pm

So I've got a full set of eibach progressive springs, poly bushings, front shocks (thanks to waidez).. with KYB SR special rear shocks ordered and being shipped from Japan via Moonlight Racing.
I've also got an airdam and skirts coming in that container.
So at some stage I'll probably redo the suspension and bushings on the front, when I can figure out how.

Also trying to match up the wiring between the ECU and Megasquirt, so I can piggyback the sensors. I think the major hurdle would be working out what to do about my lack of TPS on my current sensor.

djz

Post by djz » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:03 pm

There are heaps of other 80s and 90s Nissan TPS's that can be adapted to the standard throttle body pretty easily, from memory you just have to widen the tabs slightly. They do have different directions of rotation which is marked with an arrow on the back so try and find one that goes the right way.

What air dam did you go with?

marrow

Post by marrow » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:09 pm

Well that custom manifold I have will do the job, as it's already got TPS, but it'll be a pretty big job to install because i'll have to redo the fuel lines, and there's a lot of stuff hooked up to the stock manifold that I don't really understand (vacuum lines all over the place etc).
Just a JDM one off yahoo.jp, they seem kinda rare, but they have 'datsun' embossed on the bottom lip which is cool. hard to find pics of any though

marrow

Post by marrow » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:13 pm

I think it might be one of these Image

marrow

Post by marrow » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:17 pm

Overhauled front suspension.
Thanks to waidez again for the gabriels to replace my (totally blown) shocks. New poly bushings and eibach pro-line suspension.
Will be doing the same to the rear, but waiting for my KYB shocks to come from Japan.

That was an interesting/challenging job

marrow

Post by marrow » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:17 am

Just having it tuned at the moment, and the mechanic was noticing some anomalies with the timing

"What is odd though is I checked the timing And there's something going on there
I can deadtime the engine and it sounds perfect, like it's on 10'BTDC
It idles nicely and revs out cleanly But the timing light shows it's around 60' After TDC
If I try to move the dizzy to even get it close the engine becomes massively advanced. (so I didn't)
In fact there's not enough range on the dizzy to even get it near the factory marks
I just left the dizzy in the middle as that's where the engine seems to like it.

I'm just wondering if it's had a crankpulley from another motor put on it - with a different timing mark, or perhaps the harmonic balancer has slippd

It's not a big deal , as can always do the screwdriver down Cylinder 1 trick and find out the true TDC and remark it. Just wondering if you've come across this before when playing with the 280?"

Does this mean anything to anyone? I also gave him a turbo dizzy to use, but apparently it doesn't fit.

I'll also be looking for somewhere to get my second head ported, and manifold shaved/machined, if anyone has any recommendations. Thinking about Pine Engineering at this stage, but somewhere local would be better. Cheers

gman40

Post by gman40 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:53 pm

Dizzy drive not in the right place when installed. north or south island.

marrow

Post by marrow » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:00 pm

Im based in auckland. Car currently being tuned in Tauranga

marrow

Post by marrow » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:32 pm

Had the Z in the shop at Megasquirt in Tauranga, put on the custom manifold, then took it off as it's a bit warped and leaking air.
Swapped the fuel rail across to my stock manifold, with some 500cc injectors, fuel pressure reg etc
swapped the stock ecu out for the megasquirt, wired it up and gave it a quick tune. Gained almost 20 whp just from getting rid of that stock AFM.
Got home and swapped out the wheels. Just need some significantly bigger tyres to fill those wells a bit better

All ready to start shopping for turbos and intercoolers now.