Marrow's '79 280zx

Restores, Revamps and Repairs
marrow

Post by marrow » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:14 pm

On the upside, maybe I can put a proper spigot bush in if I can get one this time, and I should be able to pull it out a lot faster the second time.
Still have to borrow a torque wrench from work again though, and resist the urge to just shoot myself :P

marrow

Post by marrow » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:29 pm

Update: Conversion finished
Flowmaster muffler installed so I can actually pass WOF. Has been driving pretty nicely since, but have a few issues still
1) No reverse lights, although I've connected the wires to the ones that seem to match, perhaps I've missed a relay somewhere?
2) Get some strong vibration/pulsing above 70kmh, wheel alignment today didn't fix it, perhaps the driveshaft?
3) Accelerator pedal is pretty shallow, feels like I can only get 3/4 way to WOT before it hits the floor. Everything in the pedalbox seems to be bolted in securely, so perhaps I just need to bend the pedal? Or should there be a way to adjust this?

Once I get these niggly issues sorted and fix the stereo I'll start working on performance.

Shelvin

Post by Shelvin » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:06 pm

hey bud where abouts in south auck are you based? i saw you on the motorway the other day driving past manurewa. im out in pukekohe would be keen to meet up and talk z

marrow

Post by marrow » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:50 pm

I'm out in papakura. Which one is yours?

Shelvin

Post by Shelvin » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:20 pm

my ones still off road bro, you going to the rotor nats next year? i might enter it

marrow

Post by marrow » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:54 pm

No? Whats the deal with that? My plan at this stage is to get her running reliably then do a couple of beginner track/drift days

Shelvin

Post by Shelvin » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:00 pm

not much of a deal to it, im just going along to meet a few of the other members of this group. but thats cool man if you not interested. cheers cya :)

marrow

Post by marrow » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:02 pm

Could be interested, I'd have to look it up.
In the meantime, need to work out how to adjust my accelerator pedal D:

djz

Post by djz » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:44 am

I think the only adjustment on the accelerator pedal is the height, but that might fix your problem anyway. How does the height from the floor compare to the other pedals?
Nissan 280ZX 2 seater RB26 powered.

marrow

Post by marrow » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:29 am

it's an inch or two lower. Just not sure how I'd adjust the height as it's a solid bar all the way from the pedal to the throttle wire connector

djz

Post by djz » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:10 am

I can't find a decent picture right now but I'm sure there is a linkage with a lock nut at either end that you can adjust.

marrow

Post by marrow » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:10 pm

Until I can find an affordable turbo, I'm going to work on improving the n/a side of things.
Took the n42 head I picked up in to get cleaned up and checked out, when I get it back next year I'll want to fit up that custom 2x60mm manifold with the n42 and wire it up to the ecu.

Does anyone know anywhere in auckland that'll pull my engine, swap the heads/manifolds and also be able to wire up the ecu without charging too much?

marrow

Post by marrow » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:10 am

Oh wow, DJZ was totally right, I thought you meant the pedalbox itself had an adjustable component.. But yesterday I was trying work out how to adjust the pin that pushes the throttle open, and found the linkage you described, it's about a foot long narrow metal bar running alongside the firewall with thread on one end.
Popped the plastic bubble off, screwed it down to about 80%, and there we go, foot to floor actually gives me WOT.

Next major work will be switching to the ECU. I got a quote from megasquirt nz for the install, which was fairly pricey, but includes a tune/dyno.
Alternatively I can try do it myself, or find somewhere closer/cheaper that tunes MS.

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:03 pm

Don't dick around with ECU unless you are prepared and able to pay around with it yourself. Doing it once and doing it right will not only save you a lot of grief but also extra expense later on.
Bernie Kant
Club President

djz

Post by djz » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:07 pm

Wise words, an ECU and tune definitely aren't things to skimp on. If you are planning on turboing it I would wait until then to tune it, or else you will be paying twice.