Marrow's '79 280zx

Restores, Revamps and Repairs
marrow

Post by marrow » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:33 pm

Forgot to say, I highly recommend Jarred at Megasquirt. Low overheads because he lives out in the middle of nowhere. Labour at a cheap price, really knows his stuff, and was only charging $100 per dyno session as well.

marrow

Post by marrow » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:01 pm

Slowly making progress, looking to going turbo and wasted spark early next year.

Anyone have a spare l28 fuel filter mount they can sell me? I have no idea who butchered it, but this is mine
[web]https://scontent-syd1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... e=56705506[/web]

marrow

Post by marrow » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:46 pm

Thought I'd post an update on the build thread
-Turbo conversion is done and dusted, but as expected the ClutchMaster clutch is the weak link, so it's been tuned very conservatively until I can get an Exedy in there. Currently making 230whp at 9psi, but a heavy duty clutch, aluminium radiator and some ARP studs should see me pushing on 300.

-Extra compression on boost has caused my head gasket to start leaking so Andy is sending me one of his steel Kameari ones :) this would be the perfect time to port/polish/install the n42 head I have, but I'm pretty much flat out of funds.

-Once I've sorted the gasket and beefed up the radiator, that will probably be it on the engine for a little while. No point chasing power until I can find an LSD. However if anyone does have some ARP bolts or studs they're willing to part with, let me know.

-I'll post some pics when the car gets back, should be delivered in the next week or so. Then time to switch focus.

Plans for the next few months
-Cert
-More rust repair
-bumper delete
-install Nardi wheel
-get Pine engineering to refurbish and deepen the SSR Mesh wheels I just ordered
-Install wing mirrors and JDM airdam/skirts

marrow

Post by marrow » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:14 pm

Just working away on small things while I wait for ARP studs from the US. Once I've skimmed the head and added the steel gasket, she should be able to handle a bit more boost. Bit of a shame though, i'd seen a few people mention they had ARP studs, but couldn't get in touch with anyone.

marrow

Post by marrow » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:18 pm

So here's the state of the build at the moment.

-Got a few more issues to sort for WOF, but I'm close

-Turbo is in and running

-The mechanic I went to here in Palmerston North kind of did a number on me by doing a stack of work that I didn't ask for then billing me, as part of the engine rebuild, so I'm going to be short on build funds.

-The guy at Megasquirt kinda screwed me by installing the ecu I'd scored from here without telling me that it was a dud (but I later found out through someone else that he recognised the unit, and knew it would cause me issues) So now I'm looking at switching to a Link Atom.

Anyone have any thoughts on running the Link, and what's required for the switch? What I wouldn't give for a mechanic who could just deliver what they promise, and nothing I don't ask for, and actually finishes the job.

djz

Post by djz » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:22 pm

Link is good for the money. You might need an ignitor depending on what you're using already and you'll only be able to run batch fire (2 or 3 batches) with an Atom.

What dizzy/CAS setup are you using?
Nissan 280ZX 2 seater RB26 powered.

marrow

Post by marrow » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:38 pm

I'm currently running those 3 coilpacks in wasted spark, so Atom would probably do fine, for batch fire. I initially thought I'd need a Fury to run it, but a friend confirmed I'd be fine running Atom for my setup, as he's got the same wasted spark for his Soarer.

I'm running a dizzyless setup with a missing tooth triggerwheel on my front pulley for CAS.

Even though I'm a bit tight at the moment, I want to make the switch to Link so that I can actually get it tuned by people who know what they're doing. MS was fine when I was learning to do everything myself, but now that I've sunk quite a bit of money into it I don't really want to risk detonation by running a sketchy cowboy tune ;)

(Just had a full engine rebuild, using existing rods/pistons, crank drilled, had my spare n42 head tanked and polished, kameari SHG and ARP studs (finally found some) so it should be able to handle a fairly good tune now)

I'm hoping that the work required to convert the pinouts from MS to Link isn't too much of a nightmare, so I can use the existing wiring (as that's usually the expensive part). If I can keep that intact, then I'll mostly be paying for the ECU, a good tune, and maybe some more sensors (knock, pressure, boost)

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:48 am

Wade, have a chat to Rodney at Roskilda Auto (Pirani Place off Tremaine Ave). He looks after my Z plus a number of others and does know his stuff. Also has skills in Links. Tell him I sent you.

marrow

Post by marrow » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:33 pm

Thanks, will do :)