Grant's LHD 1970 Datsun 240z

Restores, Revamps and Repairs
marrow

Post by marrow » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:03 pm

find a set you like on yahoo japan using google translate, then get them shipped. I spend far too much time at work looking at watanabes I can't afford.

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:16 am

The Tokico and Eibach selection is a good option and I have used them now on 2 240Zs and still have a complete set installed on my spare struts. Make sure you get the adjustable Tokicos so you can fine tune them a bit to suit the ride you desire.
And if the Watanabe's pricing is a bit steep then check Ebay for a set of Rotas and you can get a similar look for less dollars - and Rota now have some more retro styles too which could be an option and make the car look a bit different.

grantdavis28

Post by grantdavis28 » Tue May 05, 2015 8:24 am

old_datto_fan wrote:The Tokico and Eibach selection is a good option and I have used them now on 2 240Zs and still have a complete set installed on my spare struts. Make sure you get the adjustable Tokicos so you can fine tune them a bit to suit the ride you desire.
And if the Watanabe's pricing is a bit steep then check Ebay for a set of Rotas and you can get a similar look for less dollars - and Rota now have some more retro styles too which could be an option and make the car look a bit different.
Is MSA the best place to order the springs and shocks? What is their shipping rates like?
GRUNT5.CO.NZ

grantdavis28

Post by grantdavis28 » Tue May 05, 2015 8:27 am

So I found a set of 14x7 et8 watanabes, Not the exact dimensions im after but they are working for now... They are actually a gloss charcoal colour, the light was pretty harsh on the day so the photos arent that great. Interested to hear thoughts..

GRUNT5.CO.NZ

nustad
Z Club Member

Post by nustad » Tue May 05, 2015 12:38 pm

Great!

Liking the old school small wheel look and Watanabe are always sweet wheels on a Z.

Great to have options for hubcaps and alloys.

Your car is fantastic.....as said at Caffeine and Classics.
72 240z plus bits

merlin

Post by merlin » Tue May 05, 2015 4:35 pm

MSA shipping will not be cheap with bulky/heavy parts. You are better to source the springs and shocks through Stocks or the likes of

grantdavis28

Post by grantdavis28 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:16 pm

Hey guys,

After moving to Denmark and having the car looked after down in wellington,

I am back in the country and the Z is back in my garage!

I sold the watanabes when I left, as they werent 100% what I was after..

I have come across these forsale though and im pretty interested!

They are Arrow Tarossa 15x7 et 0 off an old 260z racecar? They are being completely restored and will be powder coated to what ever I like..

I was looking at a set of konig rewinds but my thoughts are for about the same price I can get a set of custom NZ made 3 piece wheels... rather than a knock off watanabe..

Interested in your thoughts!

Also colours for the centers of the arrows? Thinking a nice charcoal grey

Also heres a pic that was taken before I left! sooo good to be back!

GRUNT5.CO.NZ

nustad
Z Club Member

Post by nustad » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:39 pm

Nice dish and charcoal a good choice.
72 240z plus bits

Baker93
Z Club Member

Post by Baker93 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:58 pm

Hi
I had a set of Arrow wheels in that exact size and style and a very similar colour made for me in the mid 90s obviously by Arrow Wheels themselves. Put politely they were ummm not fit for purpose. The rim halves were extremely soft and were forever bending. The casting of the centers was best described as poor. I had these wheels, their construction, sizing and metalulurgy professionally checked and tested. The results were enough to make me get rid of them. They were sold with full disclosure to someone that just happy to use them on a road car. I was not even happy to have them on a road car let alone my race car.
Now im not saying these are the same wheels or that my experience with Arrow Wheels reflects that company today if it is still operating, but perhaps find out more about the wheels and be cautious.

mikec(nz)
Z Club Member

Post by mikec(nz) » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:43 pm

I bought wheels direct from Wantanabe and I can't say I was overly impressed. The quality of aluminium was poor, the constant removing of the wheel nuts (also race car) was quickly starting to wear into the wheels.

So I got steel inserts fitted (interestingly enough by Arrow Wheels who were not complimentary about the quality of the wheels). But seems its hard to get good products anywhere. Maybe some billet knock offs :)

grantdavis28

Post by grantdavis28 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:37 am

Baker93 wrote:Hi
I had a set of Arrow wheels in that exact size and style and a very similar colour made for me in the mid 90s obviously by Arrow Wheels themselves. Put politely they were ummm not fit for purpose. The rim halves were extremely soft and were forever bending. The casting of the centers was best described as poor. I had these wheels, their construction, sizing and metalulurgy professionally checked and tested. The results were enough to make me get rid of them. They were sold with full disclosure to someone that just happy to use them on a road car. I was not even happy to have them on a road car let alone my race car.
Now im not saying these are the same wheels or that my experience with Arrow Wheels reflects that company today if it is still operating, but perhaps find out more about the wheels and be cautious.
hmm ok.. well that puts a spanner in the works. thanks for the heads up.. it is a road car but even so I dont like the sound of that..
They may very well be the same wheels, the guy who owns them bought a 260z 2+2 ex race car (blue and yellow lightning) and these were a spare set that came with that car, so I imagine they have been kicking round for many years..
GRUNT5.CO.NZ

grantdavis28

Post by grantdavis28 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:55 am

Does anyone have any insight into the Konig rewinds?
GRUNT5.CO.NZ

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:40 am

Yes good comments from MikeC and Baker93 above, there appears to be alot of misplaced brand snobbery/slavery in wheels and I have managed to destroy or damage name brand wheels and have now seem to end up with XXS, Rota or similar that appear to have consistent quality. Not always the prettiest but if they are doing any amount of work, lightweight, deep dish or three piece etc means nothing.

grantdavis28

Post by grantdavis28 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:53 am

Andy wrote:Yes good comments from MikeC and Baker93 above, there appears to be alot of misplaced brand snobbery/slavery in wheels and I have managed to destroy or damage name brand wheels and have now seem to end up with XXS, Rota or similar that appear to have consistent quality. Not always the prettiest but if they are doing any amount of work, lightweight, deep dish or three piece etc means nothing.
Interesting! thank you!

So given the refurbished arrows are the same price as the konig rewinds, its suggested that the rewinds would be the way to go??

I do prefer the look of the arrows but if they are going to be destroyed then there is no point, any idea how they would go on just a road car? This is my sunday driver keep in mind

Ive come across this photo of Samuri https://zclub.nz/album_picm.php?pic_id=827 That NZeder has posted,, im guessing these are also Arrow wheels?
GRUNT5.CO.NZ

Baker93
Z Club Member

Post by Baker93 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:47 pm

They could be Arrow Wheels but they could also be Simmons B45s they both look very similar.