Grant's LHD 1970 Datsun 240z

Restores, Revamps and Repairs
grantdavis28

Grant's LHD 1970 Datsun 240z

Post by grantdavis28 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:47 pm

So I thought it was finally time to make one place for information on this car, I have posted in a few sections all ready but I though it would be nicer to have all this information in one thread.

Its not really a build thread as such just a place for photos of this fine beast and maybe a place I can ask questions for help :-)

I will hopefully post regular photos in here as a have an obsessive hobby of photography as well as vintage bicycles, cars also come into my hobby list.

Ok Here is the back story on how I acquired this mint 1970 datsun 240z:

My grandfather (now late grandfather) gifted me the car in 2012 after I told him how awesome it was. He bought it new in San Diego in 1970 and drove it around as his sunday car. from around mid 2009 till 2012 it sat locked in his garage, as he was too old and too sick to get into his low sports car. in mid 2012 I had the car picked up on a trailer from his garage and taken to the local workshop, who turned over the engine and replaced all the oils and put in a new battery etc. Shortly after this happened I flew to San Diego to say hello to my grandparents, while I was there I drove the Z 600 miles up the coastal roads to San Francisco where I arranged to lock the car in a secure ware house up there. (my brother in law often visited SF, so he would take it for a spin for me every month)

June 2013 I went to live in San Francisco for 4 months, I managed to get a job setting marks for what would be the biggest upset in sporting history. The Americas cup in SF was incredible and being very close to the sailing team (my dad worked for team NZ) was a wicked experience. I drove the Datsun alot in SF with many day trips on my time off.

November 2013 I put the Z on a boat to come home. spent the next few months sorting rust, certs and insurance on it and now its finally road worthy!

There is a long list of things I need to sort out, general maintenance and such.. any help on these would be great:

- The door seals and rear hatch seal are in a bad way, these need to be done ASAP
- There is a strong smell of gas while driving, i believe the rear hatch seal is the main reason for this?
- There is alot of clutch slip, as all times. i think after 44 years its time for a new one? what clutch should I be looking at? what should I replace at the same time?
- The windscreen washer does not work, I can hear the pump spinning but nothing comes out, haven't investigated further yet.
- the front grill needs to be straightened, and the new high stop light removed.
- Needs a full day of cleaning

Anyway! time for pictures!!!!

and last but not least, this is my daily driver: an m10 318i 1987 manual , which has a whole other back story that goes along with it!

I looked forward to coming along to some meets in the near future.

Cheers,

Grant.
GRUNT5.CO.NZ

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:47 pm

grantdavis28 wrote:
- There is a strong smell of gas while driving, i believe the rear hatch seal is the main reason for this?
Hiya,

I assume you mean fumes rather than raw fuel?

There are more spots than the hatch seal and you should also investigate the tailight seals, floor bungs, wire and pipe penetrations and gas filler pipe seal. Getting inside the car at night and have someone shine a light from outside will also help find gaps.

Having said all that and this next bit may or may not help, carburettors do nothing at all for efficient burning and my race car had always had poor seals and also always had fume issues. Conversion to fuel injection has got rid of the fume problem without fixing the seals. This is not an advert for injection (perish the thought that you would convert a survivor), but make sure your car is running as tip top as possible as if it is fuming it may point to the want of new parts, reconditioning or tuning.

Many have solved the seal issue but I suggest a two pronged solution, fix seals and correct poor combustion.

Good luck with the car, survivors are becoming the most desirable classics.

us2
Z Club Member
Location: Weymouth by the sea.Auckland.Don't dream it ,be there

Post by us2 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:06 pm

This is something i have always intended to try, but never got around to it.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/exha ... olved.html
!972 240z
Retirement is great. Growing old sucks.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:27 pm

She might need a few things done, but she's still a survivor, so special! 8)
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

limezed

Post by limezed » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:06 pm

Nah your just going faster now Andy. The fumes can't keep up!!

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:47 pm

limezed wrote:Nah your just going faster now Andy. The fumes can't keep up!!
Yes I'd like to think that was the case!

grantdavis28

Post by grantdavis28 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:34 am

Andy wrote:
grantdavis28 wrote:
Hiya,

I assume you mean fumes rather than raw fuel?

There are more spots than the hatch seal and you should also investigate the tailight seals, floor bungs, wire and pipe penetrations and gas filler pipe seal. Getting inside the car at night and have someone shine a light from outside will also help find gaps.

Having said all that and this next bit may or may not help, carburettors do nothing at all for efficient burning and my race car had always had poor seals and also always had fume issues. Conversion to fuel injection has got rid of the fume problem without fixing the seals. This is not an advert for injection (perish the thought that you would convert a survivor), but make sure your car is running as tip top as possible as if it is fuming it may point to the want of new parts, reconditioning or tuning.

Many have solved the seal issue but I suggest a two pronged solution, fix seals and correct poor combustion.

Good luck with the car, survivors are becoming the most desirable classics.
wow thanks for the great info, the two pronged solution is my go to, with the rear hatch seal being the first thing to do, its so bad it isnt actually there haha,

Question: where to buy the seals from? thank you!
GRUNT5.CO.NZ

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:21 am

Best you can get is from Nissan :) after kids sport this morning I might even lookup the partnumbers for you and post here.

grantdavis28

Post by grantdavis28 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:32 am

oh wow, that would be awesome! so they can be ordered from nissan here?
GRUNT5.CO.NZ

grantdavis28

Post by grantdavis28 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:50 pm

New clutch day

Blair and Woodheads has taken out the box and installing the new clutch. The old one being 45+ years old was completely F*****

can not wait to drive it now! put some power down,

Step one getting it on the road is complete!
Step two getting it driving well is a work in progress
Carbs will be tuned next!

Some photos Blair sent over:

Woop Woop
GRUNT5.CO.NZ

nustad
Z Club Member

Post by nustad » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:07 pm

What sort of clutch and where from? Looks like it was certainly due!
72 240z plus bits

grantdavis28

Post by grantdavis28 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:08 pm

Hey guys,

Ive been told by Blair at Woodhead auto the one of my carbs (the one closest to the firewall, has an incorrect top valve?

You can see in the picture of the two carbs side by side that the small piece that screws into the top of the housing is different.

Im not sure what this piece is called but I need to replace it. as one carb is over fuelling at the moment

Please let me know if you can help out! Regards,

Grant.

GRUNT5.CO.NZ

us2
Z Club Member
Location: Weymouth by the sea.Auckland.Don't dream it ,be there

Post by us2 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:29 pm

What is the difference in the two?
!972 240z
Retirement is great. Growing old sucks.

grantdavis28

Post by grantdavis28 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:44 pm

unsure to be honest. Blair sent through the photo and was trying to describe it to me over the phone.

He said one was two small and wasnt holding pressure to control the fuel?

Not sure if this makes sense or not,

Im picking the car up tomorrow morning so ill get him to explain it to me again.
GRUNT5.CO.NZ

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:52 pm

I did not get those hatch seal number for you....doh...here they are. See attached image (not sure I think only financial members can see attachments)
Attachments
TailGateSeal.png
TailGateSeal.png (163.97 KiB) Viewed 23463 times