Documenting the journey, '69 240z & 71 240Z + others

Restores, Revamps and Repairs
BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Re: Documenting the journey, '69 240z & 71 240Z + others

Post by BRONZEE » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:47 pm

Very cool render! This is your Zeds new future. 8)
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

SR240Z

Post by SR240Z » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:11 pm

Cars out of the shed and into the house garage so I can spend some late nights, which seems like all the time I have... to get the new purchase in the car (Thanks you know who!)

Close ratio Option box (71B) is perfect for the car and where the end goal is which is classic period racing (likely a new chassis/second Z ha!).

Looking into upgrading the clutch to something a little more robust than the std. 240z clutch with HD 6 puck she has now looking into a Tilton or Quartermaster Cerametallic twin plate, not sure I need anything more than a twin plate at this stage. Cerametallic should be easy enough to get around the pits as well.

Engine has OEM flywheel on the back which has definitely been lightened - how much I dont know.. weighing up what to do on this aspect - Car is a slug at the moment but firm believer of doing things once. Options are going down a button style flywheel with flexplate or a Kameari engine works R type / chrome moly unit at 4.3kg

Rush is on to get the car back on the track for end of the month dial in, really would like to sneak a meeting in this summer before some body tidy up over winter

Grunzter

Post by Grunzter » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:31 pm

I could try and find out where my flywheel was made, it suits a 5.5" Tilton triple plate race clutch with Tilton hydraulic realease bearing.
1981 280ZX #33 IMSA GTU Race Car
2012 Fairlady Z34 ST (For the son/wife...)
2007 Fairlady Z33 NISMO
(Sold) 1984 300ZX Z31 2+2 Turbo
(Sold) 1980 Datsun 280ZX 2+2

SR240Z

Post by SR240Z » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:37 am

Wow thats hectic mate! How much does that weigh?

That would be appreciated, although she is not a high HP the bottom end is all good just need let her breathe and seems like a crime not to change the flywheel while its all apart. Plus that gives me the existing lightened factory flywheel to use for my road Z :D

Wonder how light would be too light considering Pukekohe and Hampton Downs both have a reasonable elevation change ?

Baker93
Z Club Member

Post by Baker93 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:54 am

Hi
Personally i use a billet small diameter steel flywheel with small diameter ring gear. this enables the use of a gear reduction starter motor, which is sorta essential for starting anything with compression and some ignition advance. I have no experience with any clutch smaller than a 71/4 inch which are readily available and reasonably cost effective. I have used both twin and triple plate clutches from tilton or quarter master. There are generally two types available from each manufacturer with different drive philosophies. These can broadly be described as pedestal or housing drive. The pedestal or sometimes referred to as rally clutch is in my experience not suited to circuit racing. In the early days a broke a couple of these. The clamping pressure/friction /torque handling capabilities were fine ( in a twin plate application) but they did not seem to like the shock loading from starts. They they failed as much as we could tell, in the pedestal area with the rest of the clutch ending up as mechanical confetti in the bottom of the bell housing and on the road. There is even a Z Club trophy dedicated to one of these failures.
By far my preferred set up is a Quarter Master 7 1/4 Pro Series Clutch with a steel cover. I use a triple plate unit with sintered bronze plates. However for most uses/people a twin plate would be fine. These have proven bullet proof. Please note there is no requirement to run a hydraulic release bearing. The standard Z setup works just fine with the appropriate length bearing carrier ( call me i have a bunch). Is light under foot with good feel . Correct set up and geometry is critical.

SR240Z

Post by SR240Z » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:29 pm

Thanks Anthony great feedback! I am sure they make more margin on those fancy release bearings than anything else!! Bugger me!

I have Precision Engineering in Albany (who came highly recommended by a number of people) looking up some drawings, he says he has done some L28 flywheel in the past, need him to confirm what material and mass. I have looked online but struggled to confirm some details of what is available overseas and I just have the time.

Looking at a twin plate, for the engine I am running (even with some development is robust enough - its run a 6 puck successfully for 15 years without any issues). Tilton looks rebuildable and I've had some good reliability from their products so happy with that..... Interesting to note the cerametallc/ rally clutch will accept triple plates with a mix and match of pressure plate and floaters - possible some future proofing there

The question is either cerametallic or sintered bronze plates. Lots of differing opinions on that very subject (believe the Z will be the 'early spline' pressure angle so will be limited to what is in stock given I want the thing going ASAP)

Was hoping to get the RHS door into get some damage repaired this week as well but off to South Island for a few days (sounds great except when you have a deadline to meet - 9 March Pukekohe)

Baker93
Z Club Member

Post by Baker93 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:10 pm

Jeff at Precision Engineering has built all my flywheels as well as those for many other Zeds.
He should still have the drawings for both the small one like mine and the one with the full sized ring gear on fingers. If not let me know and we can whip the one off my spare engine for him to copy.

SR240Z

Post by SR240Z » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:06 pm

Some more progress, determined to make the next test day at Pukekohe (in fact signed up and paid to make sure I hit it) after some issues around part compatibility and various suppliers not having stock, it was sorted thanks to a mate at Cardwells and with some massaging we got it sorted. Picked up the Tilton Cerametallic Friday and the flywheel was ready that afternoon aswell. Neat piece of engineering. Seems there was some confusion around what flywheel spec was ordered… nonetheless steps in place to rectify the issue which should be sorted this week.

With the lighter clutch the total assembly weight is actually the same as what I had before despite the heavier flywheel, sitting around 10.1 kg total assembly weight. Hopefully we can knock a little bit of this off this week.

Driveshaft is off getting the old flange changed to a yoke to suit the new 71B

Looking forward to Pukekohe just need to master the MOTEC set up now so I can actually look at recording some lap times.. last time I had a sporadic rpm graph and no lap timer but should all be sorted now.

While at cardwells I picked up another gearset for the Winters as well

Planning for first meeting in April, all going well at this test day its just some panel beating on the RHS door and paint/wrap

Grunzter

Post by Grunzter » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:43 pm

Need a 'like' button!
very cool.
2007 Fairlady Z33 NISMO

SR240Z

Post by SR240Z » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:07 pm

Cheers appreciate that, seriously at the point where I need some enjoyment if I wasnt away this week the box would have gone in today... hopefully can get a tad more weight put of the flywheel so it was all worth 'something' :shock:

Anybody know a rough time comparision between the long and short straight at pukekohe?

SR240Z

Post by SR240Z » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:23 pm

Flywheel back from the engineers, managed to get 1kg out of it so total mass with clutch is going to be around 9kg. Will revisit harmonic balancer too

Stuck in the SI until Sunday now so have people running around for me, clutch cover and flywheel now at the balancers.

Driveshaft back and patiently waiting :D

Baker93
Z Club Member

Post by Baker93 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:35 pm

About 9 Seconds

SR240Z

Post by SR240Z » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:34 am

Here she is, all done and balanced, Running out of time for this weekend :shock: stupid works getting in the way of my hobby... Plus I am trying to take the wee fulla karting Friday (first Friday back in AK for sometime and he has almost grown out his new helmet!) so we will just have to see how time goes

Cannot recommend Bob at Balancing Specialties enough fantastic guy with a heap of knowledge. Only required two points to be balanced and the tilton was spot on although he did linish the floater plate just to be perfect

Managed to get the old girl out an onto her trailer frame and came across her flywheel... intertesing to note!

SR240Z

Post by SR240Z » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:57 pm

She made it on, flywheel clutch cover and plates and bolts came in just under 8kg. Happy with that

Made it out to puke on Saturday bit of drama with the weather having to run down to Bridgestone to swap the slicks over to the "God knows how old and just as well I bloody threw them in that morning" Toyos RA1s on the Simmons due the heavy rain and only having x7 rims (of which only had x4 with me!) but we got there only for it to dry out for the second session!

Great shake down and got a few laps in with the new gearbox clutch and flywheel. No issues, gearbox took little bit to get used to was more worried about selecting the wrong gear with the close pattern no dramas though. Motec only recording for a max of 2 laps each session so didnt actually set an times which is disappointing as in the dry we were able to pick up the pace somewhat and scare some expensive cars 😁

Called the day short in the end as sump gasket is now weaping and I didnt want to push my luck, hopefully going to make two weeks time for a reasonable go at putting some laps together

Next on the list is to finally finish the bodywork its bugging me still and a proper harmonic balancer. Unlikely to make any meetings this season now the budget is well blown for a wee while and work is just hectic so focusing on summer 19 race debut

Grunzter

Post by Grunzter » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:49 pm

Looks great on the track!
2007 Fairlady Z33 NISMO