Documenting the journey, '69 240z & 71 240Z + others

Restores, Revamps and Repairs
SR240Z

Re: Documenting the journey, '69 240z & 71 240Z + others

Post by SR240Z » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:02 pm

G-Zed update
Managed to get out this month after coming out of lockdown and although it was cold and wet I think the check valve in the system was the issue. In the rush to get out (and expecting issues) I forgot to clear the motec data and on the run where I had, had a wee issue with the gearbox...no issues shifting at all then coming off the back straight downshifting from 5th to 4th, no issues then went to grab 3rd and nothing! Car was still engaged in 4th and the gear lever pretty much in neutral

Car up on the stands now with the box out and the suspected broken roll pin is fine, looks like the striker has simply come out of the shift forks so need to look into that, i am guessing either wear on the striker or the detent is allowing to much movement

I think even with the oil issues gone (I hope! :roll:) I will look at a larger sump which will only help.

Road car
Having a bloody ole time with this thing, Finally got the Su's put back together and went to test drive only to find out the brake master cylinder was poked. Quick call to Cardwells and they had the 1" willwood MC in stock so i have fitted that which was pretty straight forward actually. Got a road test underway and she stops well just not 100% on the pedal feel but at this point I cant make it down the road with out here coughing farting away. After a quick diagnose the plug leads have seen better days so will get some new ones along with some new points or a petronix and start again... POOR old girl has not seen much action for the last 8 years !

http://imgur.com/a/aSqMaSw
Last edited by SR240Z on Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:26 pm

What would you do if you had spare time?! Zeds are there to keep us busy. :shock: :lol:
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

SR240Z

Post by SR240Z » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:45 pm

Lol it's not something I have a great deal of that's for sure

SR240Z

Post by SR240Z » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:40 pm

Well bugger all progress of late! Gearbox appears to be too much end float so off to get some work done at KBM to mitigate any further damage, panels are all off now to get painted which will be nice to get done - getting closer to being complete and race ready - just need to find a solution and direction with some wet weather tyres and rims

http://imgur.com/a/5KN4yEp

Poor old neglected road car is waiting for some parts to come in from the states, hopefully by the end of the month she will be running again and the interior 90% complete which will be nice to have since this has been my main bug bear for the last 10 years! Gone for vynal replacement kit (back to the OEM style from carpet) and black OEM seats and a few other bits to allow me to fit parts I already have and have had for some time now. Good or bad I will try the Petronix ignition kit as well along with some new leads that will go around the front of the motor

http://imgur.com/a/zPdIPtz

Reynard is keeping me busy, engine is back form the engine builders and I have moved the tub from where she has laid for the last 13 years, brakes are being rebuilt at present and new fuel pump being fitted - hopefully will mean the engine can go back onto the tub this weekend while i wait for the Transaxle to return from rebuild

http://imgur.com/a/IqOlIdz

Grunzter

Post by Grunzter » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:47 am

What colours are you painting the race car?
1981 280ZX #33 IMSA GTU Race Car
2012 Fairlady Z34 ST (For the son/wife...)
2007 Fairlady Z33 NISMO
(Sold) 1984 300ZX Z31 2+2 Turbo
(Sold) 1980 Datsun 280ZX 2+2

SR240Z

Post by SR240Z » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:49 am

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:28 am

That looks really nice. looking forward to seeing some more of this.
Bernie Kant
Club President

Grunzter

Post by Grunzter » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:12 am

Thats right, remember now. That will be awesome.
1981 280ZX #33 IMSA GTU Race Car
2012 Fairlady Z34 ST (For the son/wife...)
2007 Fairlady Z33 NISMO
(Sold) 1984 300ZX Z31 2+2 Turbo
(Sold) 1980 Datsun 280ZX 2+2

SR240Z

Post by SR240Z » Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:36 pm

So bit of progress on the road car after a long long ownership with not alot of progress I finally bit the bullet and my aim is to finish here this summer. I have reassembled and tuned the Su's and seem to be good so pretty happy with that. New fuel pump, coil, petronix points, plugs and leads and she went well such a joy to drive again.

Finally ordered some Watanabes and they look great but did not clear my Hilux calipers :oops: so thats triggered a bit of pain trying to get a brake kit together without being able to go into any shops etc, being quite time poor the T3 kit looked pretty good especially being designed for Wats down to 14" so thats a goer and on the way over here as it look as though it can be certified. Rebuilt master cylinder, booster and safety proportioning valve thing as well.

Slowly completing the interior parts list which is bloody expensive exercise but nonetheless I almost have a complete interior, I want rid of all the cut pile carpet and want it stock. Have all new panels, vynal, seat rebuilt kit (covers and foam), with a few repro parts like the fuse box cover etc. Door cards arriving this week so on track with the exception of new rear panel behind the seat which is stuck in the states thanks to USPS not shipping to NZ at the moment!

Alot of $ spent on those annoying bits well, rubbers, washerbottle, emblems, kick panels, scuff plates, dovetails etc there were alot of missing bits. Hopefully will have everything together in a few weeks and will have some loop pile carpet made locally.

Bumpers should be here in Nov as well so exciting to pull her together. First time in a long time I have been excited about this car so looking forward to putting miles on here this summer. Plan is to drop the box and give that a freshen up along with some electric fans and she will be good to go once the brakes arrive
Last edited by SR240Z on Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:55 pm

Really starting to look good. Your hard work is paying off.
Bernie Kant
Club President

SR240Z

Post by SR240Z » Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:02 am

Its been a busy summer mnostly in the South Island so not a lot of time for the Z but I managed to get a few things completed;

-Strip old marine carpet and clean glue from body
-Replace fuel tank vent hose
-Fit new bumpers (waiting on new rubber trim to arrive)
-Lots of fastener correcting to the best I can (lots of mix ups and missing from previous owner re paint)
-Fitted missing dovetails and stoppers
-New rear hatch rubber
-New Z emblems on rear qtr
-Motorsport auto fuse box upgrade
-New battery box & frame
-New sill panels fitted
-T3 Wilwood front brakes fitted
-Rebuilt master cylinder, proportion valve and booster re installed
-New front grill
-Rebuilt rear tail lights with new rubber gasket and chrome trim
-Just about every rubber I could find had been fitted (few to go)
-New door rubber and window rollers
-New washer bottle and motor
-New Inspection lid rubbers
-New door dovetails
-New hood stoppers
-Seats re upholstered
-Now have almost received complete interior with the door cards arriving before xmas (only missing bit is the B pillar/behind seat leg trim which is stuck the states) - Interior should be fitted this month

I've got all the badges now and the Euro style front spoiler which will be fitted when I have a quiet moment. On its way is an electric aerial and the power steering kit which be fitted before going off to the upholster.

Little on the fence as to my next moves, Gearbox and diff will need some attention so possibly a good time to go for the R180 LSD CV conversion and maybe adjustable suspension before cert.

Quite enjoying seeing her come to life and have those minor things finisher her off, intention for this was was always to look as period and as complete as possible :)

SR240Z

Post by SR240Z » Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:24 am

Will get some better pictures once I have adjusted the bumpers but here is a bunch for the time being

https://imgur.com/a/oknDBYb

SR240Z

Post by SR240Z » Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:33 pm

Great to see the interior finally coming along :)

SR240Z

Post by SR240Z » Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:39 pm

SR240Z wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:33 pm Great to see the interior finally coming along :)

https://imgur.com/a/XJFNVmn