A 280Z

Restores, Revamps and Repairs
Moddy
Z Club Member

Post by Moddy » Tue May 27, 2014 12:37 am

Haha aw you jinxed it now! You're gonna have to pull it apart again now! Lol looks great man. The whole car just looks really great. I think I asked before but just in case you forget, I'm always willing to take that engine off ya hands hahaha :P especially now mine has cracked the head >.< keep up the great work. I love seeing your updates.
***** Drive it like you stole it *****

A280Z

Post by A280Z » Tue May 27, 2014 7:37 am

Moddy wrote:Haha aw you jinxed it now! You're gonna have to pull it apart again now! Lol looks great man. The whole car just looks really great. I think I asked before but just in case you forget, I'm always willing to take that engine off ya hands hahaha :P especially now mine has cracked the head >.< keep up the great work. I love seeing your updates.
Cheers bro. Yea you probably right wont be the last time no doubt. Even when the RB does go in I will keep the L as the engine numbers match the chassis and they seem to be pretty hard to find these days. Maybe just throw an SR or RB in yours?

A280Z

Post by A280Z » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:48 pm

Went and got new warrant for the car, flew through which was sweet. Weather was mint, should have gone for a drive but instead went home and did this...

Plan is to rewire, re do all brake lines and respray engine bay to match body colour. Also new radiator to go in and tidy the L up a bit. Plan is to turn it around in a month all going well.

As it sits now ready to start hacking the loom...

Also found it has some kind of semi cool clutch in it. No brand name on it so not to sure what it is

djz

Post by djz » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:05 am

Looks like an RPM clutch from Clutch Industries.
Nissan 280ZX 2 seater RB26 powered.

A280Z

Post by A280Z » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:35 am

djz wrote:Looks like an RPM clutch from Clutch Industries.
Think you might be right there my man. Well spotted!

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:17 pm

It's a standard aftermarket organic clutch with heavy duty springs for I think a Diesel 260C or some similar Nissan sedan from AutoStop New Lynn possibly from Clutch Industries.

Baker93
Z Club Member

Post by Baker93 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:03 pm

Pretty colour. Whatever it is they could have made it a bit bigger and heavier !!

gman40

Post by gman40 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:17 pm

Brings back bad memorys of having one of them fly apart at high rpms. Tilton for me.

A280Z

Post by A280Z » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:46 am

So what was meant to be a quick engine bay clean and repaint has somehow got a bit out of hand. I decided it would be a good idea for some stupid reason to weld up all the holes in the firewall and smooth it out as best I could which has taken longer than I expected due to the fact my car has had a LHD to RHD conversion.

This was the state of the firewall after engine was removed. Note the brake lines all over the place due to the conversion. I am guessing when they did the conversion they just relocated everything to wherever they could make it fit easily. Also patched up the old AC pipe holes etc.

Started by cutting off all the old unused brackets and welding up the hundreds of holes that have been drilled into it over the years.

Made up some of these little guys to weld to the firewall for mounting stuff too rather than holes through the firewall to try and keep fumes out. Just a steel rod drilled and tapped and cut into 10mm sections.

One half of the firewall semi tidy and in primer

Another issue I had was that the brake master cylinder was hard up against the inner guard previously. This is another result of the RHD conversion. This caused an issue of the brake lines having virtually no clearance coming out of the master cylinder so my fix was to cut a big hole and weld some stuff.

Came out okish and now I have plenty of clearance for everything

The old radiator that was in it was stuffed, copper core was falling to bits and it was leaking from the top tank so throwing in an alloy guy. Quick test fit looks ok.

Next thing I decided to tidy as it annoyed the crap out of me was the front radiator support. It was bent and beaten up and looked rough as.

Cut out all the damaged metal and patched. There was no rust in behind which was a bonus. Treated inside as best as I could before welding shut.

Quick grind and its done, not flash but looking better than it did at least. Removed the stupid wire holder bendy things at the same time.

A million hours on the wire wheel and sanding and it finally has a first coat of etch primer down.

Long way to go yet....

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:38 pm

Nice work! A lot to do but one step closer.
I didn't realise the guard area was different LHD to RHD.
280's have a bit more sheet metal everywhere than the 240. Stronger I guess, and with developments in car construction through generations.
Is that radiator local? Been looking for one with just like it with inlet/outlets same side for the RB.
1973 240Z - NZ new - RB25det build in progress
1973 240Z - USA new - 1 owner! In the drivers seat right now. Home soon.

A280Z

Post by A280Z » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:25 pm

badhabit wrote:Nice work! A lot to do but one step closer.
I didn't realise the guard area was different LHD to RHD.
280's have a bit more sheet metal everywhere than the 240. Stronger I guess, and with developments in car construction through generations.
Is that radiator local? Been looking for one with just like it with inlet/outlets same side for the RB.
Radiator is just off trade me man. It is meant for an rx2 but dimensions worked out right and outlets are right for the rb. I hope it can do the job.

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:30 am

Cheers. Found a couple on TM. Seems to say all the right things. More efficient than stock blah blah so I'm sure it'll be fine.
Not a bad price either.

You may have said already but are going RB25 or RB30?
1973 240Z - NZ new - RB25det build in progress
1973 240Z - USA new - 1 owner! In the drivers seat right now. Home soon.

A280Z

Post by A280Z » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:24 am

Finally got the colour on it. Came out ok for a rangi garage job. Looks better than it did so I'll take it.

Managed to get the correct colour code which made matching the colour easy. Installed a few parts back on again.

Started stripping down motor to tidy a few things up.

Polished a few old alloy bits

Starting on brake new brake lines this week.

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:44 am

Nice Job, careful with the reinstall, wouldn't want to scratch it.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:58 am

Looks great. It really is fantastic to see these old girls being bought back to their former glory bit by bit. 8)
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.