DJ's 280ZX

Restores, Revamps and Repairs
djz

Re: DJ's 280ZX

Post by djz » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:08 pm

Haven't done much on this since before Christmas, I'm going to take it for a drive tomorrow so I thought I'd better finish up the wiring that I'd started and make sure it still went. Got it 99% there, just need to run a new wire for the speedo output from the gearbox which I can't do with the car in the garage.

I changed the settings in the Link from the internal map sensor to the new external one and checked that it was reading about right which it was, it started right up so I'll roll it out of the garage tomorrow and do the speedo output wire and adjust the map sensor limit then it should be good to go.

I have a lot of ideas that I want to do to this but I have a lot of projects on the go and this is going to go into storage so I can put my Starion in the garage and get that underway so I can sell it.
Nissan 280ZX 2 seater RB26 powered.

djz

Post by djz » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:53 pm

Took this for a test drive a couple of weekends ago, all went well apart from I've done something to the speedo so I need to sort that out.

Haven't done too much else, I've been working heaps, we had our car out at Skope doing demo laps with Greg Murphy driving, managed to unofficially break the lap record. Was a good weekend, there were at least 3 or 4 Zs there, I only managed to get a (bad) photo of one, but there was also a green/black one and a red/white/blue one.

djz

Post by djz » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:07 pm

Not sure if I mentioned but one of the issues with the clutch was the stopper was gone which I hadn't realised, so I borrowed one from the VK car, but I've bought a bunch of new ones nows. Also got some new wiper nut covers.

djz

Post by djz » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:36 pm

So the VQ35 that I bought came with a pretty much brand new set of ID1000 injectors in it, which are bigger and newer than the ones I have in this currently. They are 14mm top o ring so don't fit in the existing fuel rail, so I made a new one. Can't put them in until my new plugs show up which is probably going to be another week or so.

djz

Post by djz » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:52 pm

Got this back from storage on the weekend, need to get a couple of things sorted before the Datsun Nationals.

I've got the new bonnet latches which look okay, they aren't that much bigger than the original ones which is good. I also want to make a box to go around the air filter and possibly change the inlet pipe to the turbo, change the injectors (maybe if I've got time), make a proper coil mount bracket and maybe add a water/meth kit.

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:17 pm

djz wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:52 pm
I've got the new bonnet latches which look okay, they aren't that much bigger than the original ones which is good.
Why the size change? I am about to use 4 of the smaller ones on a glass bonnet. Did you have failures or do they just feel feeble?

djz

Post by djz » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:12 pm

Andy wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:17 pm
djz wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:52 pm
I've got the new bonnet latches which look okay, they aren't that much bigger than the original ones which is good.
Why the size change? I am about to use 4 of the smaller ones on a glass bonnet. Did you have failures or do they just feel feeble?
They were Aliexpress ones and kept popping open, the internals weren't very flash and the ball bearings were also damaging the studs. I feel a little bit safer with the bigger US made ones, I don't have a secondary latch.

Grunzter

Post by Grunzter » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:50 pm

Have you got a link for the US made ones. thanks.
1981 280ZX #33 IMSA GTU Race Car
2012 Fairlady Z34 ST (For the son/wife...)
2007 Fairlady Z33 NISMO
(Sold) 1984 300ZX Z31 2+2 Turbo
(Sold) 1980 Datsun 280ZX 2+2

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:10 pm

Grunzter wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:50 pm Have you got a link for the US made ones. thanks.
My ones are Quik-latch QL-25-S but are the "mini" version. I figure with a front hinged bonnet, consequences of failure are minimal. quik-latch.com will get you in amongst it.

djz

Post by djz » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:03 pm

Got the new latches in, had to make some bushes so I could use the hole saw in the original hole, worked out well though. These ones are long enough that I can use the locking rings with them as well, which I couldn't do with the old ones due to the thickness of the bonnet.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:25 pm

Great build thread. 8)
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

Grunzter

Post by Grunzter » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:31 pm

Thanks, looks good!
1981 280ZX #33 IMSA GTU Race Car
2012 Fairlady Z34 ST (For the son/wife...)
2007 Fairlady Z33 NISMO
(Sold) 1984 300ZX Z31 2+2 Turbo
(Sold) 1980 Datsun 280ZX 2+2

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:39 am

Nice install. It's all looking good. Thanks for posting up.
Bernie Kant
Club President

djz

Post by djz » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:17 pm

I finally did something I've been wanting to do for ages which is replace the aluminium intake tube that I had with a carbon one. I had to rotate the pipe with the blow off valve on it around which I've also been meaning to do for a while, that meant trimming the adjuster bolt for the power steering pump and moving the boost source for the boost control solenoid, I made up a new boss at work and James buzzed it on for me.

djz

Post by djz » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:20 pm

Make a few changes regarding the fuel system, I'm going to keep the Nismo regulator that I've got but I'm going to move it to the firewall end of the rail and cut the barb off so I can put a hard line to AN adaptor on it.

So I had to make an adaptor to go from the fuel rail to the reg.

The only other thing I've really done to it was borrow some fittings from work so I could see what I needed for the rocker cover breathers.