USDM 280Z

Restores, Revamps and Repairs
Pedey

USDM 280Z

Post by Pedey » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:35 am

Hi everyone,

My partner and I have just picked up the silver S30 280Z that was advertised on here recently. This is my first Zed, but I also currently own a restored '67 Impala 2-door fastback and my partner has a MX5 weekend track car.

(I'd attach some images but apparently I need to have five posts under my belt before I can do so)

I've got a whole lot of questions - hopefully someone here can help me out, but I'll leave that for the tech section.

Cheers!

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:45 am

Welcome along. always plenty of help to be had from Z people, many are "forum shy" so joining the club and face to facing with members at events is a great way to learn about your car. Those later model S30's from the states are a great body and have a few strength improvements over the earlier cars, good luck with the car, the RH conversion should be a walk in the park if you want to do it.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:46 pm

Welcome to the forum. Hope you can bring along your new pride and joy to an event soon. 8)
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

nustad
Z Club Member

Post by nustad » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:52 pm

Howdy - great garage you have there! I am hankering after some US muscle to go with my Z as well so well done for having already done it!

There is a great mix in the club of modified, stock and Frankenstein - so many perspectives and approaches.

When you introduce yourself as PEDEY, PEDEY from Performance Car Mag???

Anyway looking forward to seeing your 280z on a club event sometime.

Cheers

Glenn
72 240z plus bits

Pedey

Post by Pedey » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:52 pm

Thanks, it will be staying left hand drive though, gives it something a little special.

We will try to get to as many meets as possible, it's pretty hard during summer though as we are both automotive journalists and getting a spare day on the weekend with nothing car related is a treat!

Thanks again for the welcome

Pedey

Post by Pedey » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:50 pm

Now that I've reached the minimum posts, a few quick photos:

The left hook California 280Z, as purchased from Morgan last weekend:

My partner and I have some plans for her, some of which might offend the purists, but thats why I bought a 280Z and not a 240Z.

I have also spent the last couple of years restoring my 67 Impala Fastback:

My partner on the other hand (the S30 is a bit of a co-purchase to practice for kids - it's better than a puppy) has spent the last year building a Mazda MX-5 weekend warrior street/track car:

Yes, I'm aware of the pink Watanabes and no, that won't be happening to the Zed.

us2
Z Club Member
Location: Weymouth by the sea.Auckland.Don't dream it ,be there

Post by us2 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:45 pm

Will be of great interest to see whats in store for the Zed.

Nice Chevy.
!972 240z
Retirement is great. Growing old sucks.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:06 pm

Hells bells, you could eat off that Impala! 8) :D Gorgeous! They say variety is the spice of life, there's definitely variety in your garage. :D

Ah, so it is the Z I thought. 8) Got a snap of your baby at our Taupo Track Day.

Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

nustad
Z Club Member

Post by nustad » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:07 pm

Pedey,

If the quality of the Impala and the MX5 are anything to go by we are going to enjoy seeing the Z being reborn. Zs are numerous including 240z's so I wouldn't hesitate to do what you want to the car.

I reckon they respond extremely well to restomod actions.

The good thing about the Z club is it includes the concours resto right through to the angry Z that has few of its original parts left - all are great.

Enjoy - I am sure we will enjoy seeing your project evolve.

Cheers

GM
72 240z plus bits

nzdatman

Post by nzdatman » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:38 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing you develop the car too. I have that paint here now and the LHD permit which I forgot to give you last Sunday too, let me know when you're passing through or whatever.

Pedey

Post by Pedey » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:54 pm

Thanks Morgan, will let you know when I'm coming through. Taryn took this photo when we were in Wellington - looks like a blank canvas to me, can't wait to rip into it after Beach Hop. That's when the Z comes out of storage and the Impala takes its place.

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:48 pm

very nice impala you got there a real cool piece of USA cruze beast. Today at work one of the contractor drove in with his latest import a Thunderbird in a nice pale blue - he has just been through compliance, needs some new brake lines etc. Plans to get this sort ASAP so it might be at the hop also.

Re coilovers - I have decided to get some ground control items for my late 260z (aka same shell as your 280z just RHD) as after talking to Ben at Otomoto the current 55mm items are designed for 70mm ID Springs which are harder to find + I have a number of set of 65mm ID springs already. However Ben via HSD will have 65mm ID setups in the next month or 2 for out large 260z 55mm struts.

Pedey

Post by Pedey » Thu May 03, 2012 9:49 am

Some progress has been made on the car

The custom wheels have just been finished and are now hopefully on their way from Japan.
Half way through sorting out coilovers with Autolign.
Big alloy race radiator fitted.
Sending the missus to Melbourne in under a month to pick up ZG parts for the body.
New badges and Nardi steering wheel arrived from Japan and fitted.
Refurbished the rocker cover:
New gaskets all round.

I'm looking for the ZG type boot spoiler or similar, does anyone know where I might find one in NZ?

us2
Z Club Member
Location: Weymouth by the sea.Auckland.Don't dream it ,be there

Post by us2 » Thu May 03, 2012 11:06 am

Nice steering wheel.

Are you planning to fit a ZG front ? :? Or just the flairs.
!972 240z
Retirement is great. Growing old sucks.

Pedey

Post by Pedey » Thu May 03, 2012 12:26 pm

Yes, I've ordered the G Nose front end and the flares, now need to find the rear wing.