USDM 280Z

Restores, Revamps and Repairs
nustad
Z Club Member

Wing

Post by nustad » Thu May 03, 2012 12:39 pm

Howdy,

I am not sure if there is a difference between the Gnose rear wing and the standard ducktail spoiler that many of us have on our 240z's The ducktail spoiler should be readily available - Motorsport Auto probably have a fiberglass one in their catalogue.

If you get stuck let me know.....I have a standard ducktail in my garage but I was hoping to keep it......would be better to get a new one....

Project is going in a great direction - very curious to know what style of wheel you have chosen. Nardi wheel is a nice piece of jewelery!

Keep the updates coming....

Cheers

Glenn
72 240z plus bits

Pedey

Post by Pedey » Thu May 03, 2012 2:50 pm

Sorry yes, you're right. I was hoping someone would have an extra one sitting around before paying for more shipping from the US. If you are interested in selling yours, I'm interested in buying it.

Thanks!

As for the wheels, I've gone with Work Meister CR01s. They measure 15x9 -18 and 15x10 -28. That's wide, I know.

nustad
Z Club Member

Post by nustad » Thu May 03, 2012 3:02 pm

Shall we see if anyone else has one - Mike C? Z-parts? If you get stuck let me know and I could be tempted to part with it. I need funds for rust repairs anyway......

I wonder if the crowd in Hamilton that make the airdams make them? Might be worth putting a question on their Trademe auctions.

Great choice on the wheels - classic wheel, and they look tough.
72 240z plus bits

Pedey

Post by Pedey » Thu May 03, 2012 3:04 pm

Yea, have tried them. Have tried most fibreglass companies in NZ actually. I thought the spoiler would be the easy part, but there doesn't seem to be much around.

Thanks for your help

Ricky
Z Club Member

Post by Ricky » Thu May 03, 2012 3:11 pm

Attachments
240Z SPOILER.jpg
240Z SPOILER.jpg (73.78 KiB) Viewed 7570 times

toycollector10

Post by toycollector10 » Thu May 03, 2012 6:53 pm

Welcome to the club. Your cars are a credit to you. It'll be interesting to see how the 280Z finishes up. Cheers, TC

limezed

Post by limezed » Thu May 03, 2012 8:43 pm

I'm fairly sure I got mine from Aerotech in Christchurch. Was about 3 years ago now.

They do not have it listed on their web page but might be worth phoning them.

Pedey

Post by Pedey » Thu May 03, 2012 10:36 pm

Thanks for the input guys, I'll see what I can find out

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Thu May 03, 2012 10:42 pm

I have copies of the factory parts catalogues for the jdm models so I will compare the part numbers vs the ones optioned or factory fitted the 240z/260z

Will update this post soon.

Edit: Well the JDM catalogue shows no rear spoiler...not even on a z432...I will check another source later.

Pedey

Post by Pedey » Fri May 04, 2012 1:29 pm

limezed wrote:I'm fairly sure I got mine from Aerotech in Christchurch. Was about 3 years ago now.

They do not have it listed on their web page but might be worth phoning them.
Awesome, thanks for that info, have just ordered a wing from them. Cheers!

Pedey

Post by Pedey » Fri May 04, 2012 1:43 pm

Also, I've realised I'm going to need new bonnet hinges to clear my G Nose, does anyone have any info on modifying the factory items? Apparently it can be done but I haven't been able to find any solid info.

Thanks!

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Fri May 04, 2012 3:45 pm

Pedey wrote:Also, I've realised I'm going to need new bonnet hinges to clear my G Nose, does anyone have any info on modifying the factory items? Apparently it can be done but I haven't been able to find any solid info.

Thanks!
I know you can get new ones from BAD DOG in the USA....let me look for a link.

EDIT: here you go http://baddogparts.com/index.php?main_p ... ducts_id=3

Pedey

Post by Pedey » Tue May 08, 2012 11:08 am

Thanks for that, was hoping to modify what I have but it's looking more and more likely I'm going to have to ship a set from the states.

On sunday I built up the rear coilovers. It was surprisingly fun. I've since had a look at swapping them out, and it looks to be just about the hardest system to work on I've ever seen. Anyone have much experience removing and re-fitting rear suspension in these cars? It looks TERRIBLE.

In other news, was working on the car last night in the driveway, horn randomly starts blaring full noise, wouldn't stop. Talk about a stinkeye from the indians next door!

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Tue May 08, 2012 11:43 am

The worst of the rear suspension is the pin running through the lower arn on the (outer) strut side. Modified suspension systems with rose joints generally delete this pin and use a plain bolt.

I have used an after market lower arm I got off nzeder, he could help you with the link. Probably too heavy for street use. The US aftermarket boys have three or four options with lower arms and many club members have made their own, everyone of them a work of art.

The struts are generally retained, sectioned and threaded to lower them, find a shock and top mount to suit and you're away. Removal and refit on my car is 10 minutes a side with hand tools and 5 minutes with air. This is primarily because the outer pins on the lower arms have been replaced with plain bolts and rose joints.

A seperate hub and strut would be a dream and some have fitted Skyline gear to the rear to attain that setup but once you accept the hub and strut are one, you just work around it.

Also the driveshafts can stay attached to the hub and be just pulled or levered straight out from the diff when you remove the suspension.

Hope this helps a little.
Last edited by Andy on Tue May 08, 2012 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nustad
Z Club Member

Post by nustad » Tue May 08, 2012 7:41 pm

I am not that skilled when it comes to the mechanical side but I found it pretty easy to remove the strut and lower arm as one unit - good opportunity to replace the bushes on the lower arm at the same time. If the spindle pin is stuck fast take it to a engineering shop to press out.
72 240z plus bits