Red Zed Build Thread

Restores, Revamps and Repairs
andy_cliff

Post by andy_cliff » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:28 pm

Looks badass in the MadMax image above!

Awesome build bud. Subscribed :)

marrow

Post by marrow » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:31 pm

Ah yes it is this one. Posted in the "Spotted" thread, for your writeup in performance car magazine, so glad there's a build thread for this.
Awesome work

mikey
Site Admin

Post by mikey » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:39 am

I'm way behind so thought I should update this thread!

The paint was completed :)

Started putting everything back together

Dash back in

Tried some stupidly big tires - 255 50 R16 - Didn't work.

I gutted my speedo and made it electronic with two stepper motors inside, put a hall sensor next to a diff flange, then I made some electronic thingys to measure the speed picked up by the sensor and move the motors in the speedo. Like so...

Then did the same with the tacho

I'll leave this there and pick it up in another post.
Last edited by mikey on Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikey
Site Admin

Post by mikey » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:40 am

Then NZ Performance car took some photos

mikey
Site Admin

Post by mikey » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:49 am

I got really sick of the front diff mount not really being up to the task.

This was the old front mount, it has some rubber between the two steel plates. But when you put your foot down the nose of the diff lifts as the rubber stretches, the angle of the driveshaft changes and the uni joints start shaking.

So....

Drags. I didn't do great times; worse than last year. But the LSD was sweet and I did 2nd gear skids up the strip which was awesome.

I was having so much fun I snapped an axle during my staging skid trying to grab 2nd gear.

And twisted my output shafts

mikey
Site Admin

Post by mikey » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:52 am

I've been researching a new axle conversion, and have been collecting some parts. I've heard of people using these axles but not this combination before. This is where I'm at:

On the right is the stock 240z axle with the twisted Wolf Creek R180 side axles. And on the left is the 4 cylinder D21 axle with factory inner CV and a VX Holden Commodore outer CV. The side axle is from an S14 I think and plugs straight into my R180 diff.

This worked out really well and finally have no driveline vibrations. There have been some interference problems on compression on the passenger side control arm. So I've notched that and all good.

mikey
Site Admin

Post by mikey » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:54 am

I've never loved the factory rear drum brakes; I could never adjust them properly so the handbrake would work, but not drag. So I decided to do something about and do it for basically nothing.

I was given some EL Falcon single-piston callipers, rotors and backing plates years ago by Mike (Thank you!).

Started bolting everything up. The EL Falcon backing plate & rotor work perfectly with the backspacing from the 240z hub face, so the calliper simply bolts to the Falcon backing plate as normal

The handbrake bracket required some fiddle to bring it closer to the drum lever.

And that's pretty much everything up to date! :)

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:04 pm

Nice shots, good reading, innovation at it's best!

mikey
Site Admin

Post by mikey » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:30 am

Andy wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:04 pm Nice shots, good reading, innovation at it's best!
That's very high praise coming from you Andy! :)

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:14 pm

Looking really good Mikey! Hope more of the FB'ers come across to visit the forum. This sort of stuff is inspiring for those working on a project, 8)
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

Grunzter

Post by Grunzter » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:10 pm

Yip, it looks fantastic.
I like the rear diff mount fix, that looks like a good solid improvement.
Pity the rear tyres are a little tight in the guards, as they look like they are a perfect size otherwise.
1981 280ZX #33 IMSA GTU Race Car
2012 Fairlady Z34 ST (For the son/wife...)
2007 Fairlady Z33 NISMO
(Sold) 1984 300ZX Z31 2+2 Turbo
(Sold) 1980 Datsun 280ZX 2+2

nustad
Z Club Member

Post by nustad » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:29 pm

Super cool car and your progress makes me look glacial! What’s next........
72 240z plus bits

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:54 pm

Good to see the EL falcon stuff on a zed....that was years ago. Sad thing is my zed has had no love in that time still in the back of the shed.

So the commodore CV cage goes on to the D21 axles? I have sold a few D21 axles setups over the years some with Z31 4 bolt CV and or 5 bolt D21 at both ends or 5 volt one end and the 3x2 like your setup the other. I have D21 axles setup after I found the combo would work.. must have been years ago when I posted that on hybridz

mikey
Site Admin

Post by mikey » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:25 am

nzeder wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:54 pm Good to see the EL falcon stuff on a zed....that was years ago. Sad thing is my zed has had no love in that time still in the back of the shed.

So the commodore CV cage goes on to the D21 axles? I have sold a few D21 axles setups over the years some with Z31 4 bolt CV and or 5 bolt D21 at both ends or 5 volt one end and the 3x2 like your setup the other. I have D21 axles setup after I found the combo would work.. must have been years ago when I posted that on hybridz
Yep the commodore CV slips right on there. I'm quite keen to replace the 3x2 inner CVs at some point as they're a bit knackered. Quite hard to find replacements too, so swapping to a different CV would be good. Not sure of the best options.
Last edited by mikey on Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:28 pm

Right so then if you got V6 d21 axles, same length and they have the same spline/size/count at both ends aka same as the commodore CV then.