stick with L24?
45%
do the RB swap?
55%

Total votes: 56
bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:15 am

Nice choice, good colour to go with the carbon fiber flares. Keep up the good work.
Bernie Kant
Club President

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:14 am

more CF bits on their way!
Zstore had them but their shipping was nuts! $350USD just to ship!

Went with RetroSpec. for the flares and BRE front spoiler

this it the front spoiler - wrong car and don't like these flares but the lip spoiler is what i was thinking. I've got the fibreglass full spoiler too as an option.

roughly where i'm going with it all. Not a fan of the wheels on this one though. I'll be doing a more modern type in 17"
1973 240Z - NZ new - RB25det build in progress
1973 240Z - USA new - 1 owner! In the drivers seat right now. Home soon.

hurtle

Post by hurtle » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:13 am

Nice flares (never thought I'd say that out loud lol).
Interested to know cost as I have similar plans for my car, although yours is much further along than mine.

Do you intend to fabricate a gearbox mounting or buy one? I have bought Castlemaine Rod Shop engine mounts and a rear facing sump that came up on TradeMe, but I haven't worked out the gearbox mount yet. I'm hoping to go with an RB26 and and RB25 box, but may go the same as you, not sure yet.

Hoping to get my shell dipped soon, but I have a few other domestic projects that need finishing first, before I can get clearance to proceed!

merlin

Post by merlin » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:51 pm

If you are after carbon flares look at the RHDjapan.com website. A huge range of parts for the z series. I have used them quite a bit this year and the customer service is the best. You can chose your shipping and prices are some of the best I have found

hurtle

Post by hurtle » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:34 pm

merlin wrote:If you are after carbon flares look at the RHDjapan.com website. A huge range of parts for the z series. I have used them quite a bit this year and the customer service is the best. You can chose your shipping and prices are some of the best I have found
Top tip!

About $500 + postage on RHD, I didn't think of them, even though I used to by bits from them for my GT-R when we were in the UK.

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:47 pm

mine are on order at restrospec. similar pricing and got the spoiler too. 3-4wks to be made and shipped. Shipping was heaps cheaper than Zstore for what appears to be the identical thing?
Having second thoughts on the flares now though. Tending toward stock body now. I'll get the flares and they can look nice on the wall! who knows!

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:06 pm

Don't cut the guards! While you say it is far from perfect, it is still one of the best shells I have seen and worth doing it so that it can go back to standard one day. Based on the interest I got for SAMURI, the demand is far greater for a standard car than a modified one. And one day they will be worth a lot more. Don't forget that shell is one of the Kiwi new ones so that in itself is worth preserving.

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:26 am

I totally agree with Mike. 10, 20 years from now these car will have good value and be quite collectible. Especially number matching cars. Truth is with all the modifications that is happening, stock standard is going to be hard to find and have a good value. What surprises me is the number of 240's 260's coming out of the woodwork.

The thing is those buying these cars are not Austin 7 fans, They are performance fans. My feeling is and I have said this before, The Z is a car to be used. We buy these cars and make them to what we enjoy, will we keep them for 20 years, probably not. So go ahead spend your money and enjoy them, I think there is just as much pleasure doing the work as seeing the finished result. And isn't that what it is all about. Or are we wasting our money and should spend it on fighting global warming or something.

The day will come when there is enough value in these cars to turn them back to standard. God willing I will see it. Just keep the old parts tucked away.
Bernie Kant
Club President

nustad
Z Club Member

Post by nustad » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:01 am

In my view do what brings your the most pleasure. There are large numbers of Z's manufactured and they lend themselves to modification. It is not as if there were only 20 made and originality is truly worth something.

The only thing is that trends change and so do your personal preferences. When you cut something there is no going back. For that reason I have stuck to bolt on modification.

Some of the body mods done in the states in the 80s haven't aged well. Check out this article - a current body mod but in my humble opinion it already looks a bit shit. Bolt on flares are more enduring though!!!!

http://www.speedhunters.com/2015/09/not ... -datsun-z/

Enjoy your car in the way you want to - its not about the future preferences of a future unknown buyer.

By the way - in my humble opinion battleship grey is a trendy colour but I wonder if you will tire of it. I am not sure it shows the lines of the Z in the best way. It can be done well but I think it relies on the complete package being right. Wheels, trim, stance, body addenda......

Enjoy your Z
72 240z plus bits

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:50 pm

I don't like that either but I bet the guy that owns it does. All boils down to what you as the owner appreciate.
Bernie Kant
Club President

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:37 pm

The bolt-on flares look great, I just can't make them work on 240ZED as the back ones end up too high up the guard to allow for sufficient suspension travel.
When I retire her and make her into a garage girl she's gonna be all shiny black lacquer, like the pic a few posts back, its a good look.

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:07 pm

old_datto_fan wrote:Don't cut the guards! While you say it is far from perfect, it is still one of the best shells I have seen and worth doing it so that it can go back to standard one day. Based on the interest I got for SAMURI, the demand is far greater for a standard car than a modified one. And one day they will be worth a lot more. Don't forget that shell is one of the Kiwi new ones so that in itself is worth preserving.
Which is why I'm struggling to make the decision. Can't go back once it's done.... I'm building it to be driven and enjoyed. It's value may be reduced by the fact I'm putting an RB engine in it but I'd rather never sell it than have to return it to standard to do so.
I love the lines of the standard body but like the racer / wide body look with modified Z's but I think this car will be one to mix the standard body with Racer underpinnings. Decision made NO CUTTING!!

I went back to some of the images I'd saved from years ago and it's always the standard bodied cars that are more pleasing for me I realised.
There is just something about a Z as you all agree!
Might build a really modified Z at some point but this isn't the car to do it too I agree. I'm even considering keeping the original black plate rego rather than fit the personalised plate I've got because they just look cooler than any p/p I've ever seen!

I don't think it's in my blood to build a standard car though. Always have to tweak it just a little to personalise it.
Soon I'll have my ultimate shed to begin filling with my "dream" cars and the Z will be the first to make it home. - can't wait!!!

Karljsw

Post by Karljsw » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:30 pm

Hehe just asked the parentals the square footage of our house and lets say the garage your are building is pretty much my house :lol:

Re flares -> You can always add them at a later date if you decide to change wheels/ suspension set ups anyway. Will look good either way.

I've debated putting them on my 240 as well but have decided against it at the moment, although I don't have the problem of it being 'original' as the body already has some alterations lol

Will look sweet when its done!!

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:07 pm

Yep the garage isn't a small one. Been waiting a long time for it so going make it worthwhile. Been doing some more on the design today. Almost as much fun as working on the Z.
Our current house is less than 100m2 and have to store the Z at a garage half hour away so not conducive to finish it.

Panel work on the body is almost done now. Only one corner to go!

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:15 pm

progress!
We have colour on the body! well is grey underseal but it's a change from the grey epoxy!

It finally got to the media blasters last friday for a quick going over of the repairs, rails etc. Re-epoxied and back to shop for seam-sealer to the underside and then hit it with WURTH underseal. Oddly the bottle i had that was 10+ years old went on better that the new stuff :?

Has made all the underside look a heap better! and now means i could take it to my paint guy for body prep etc. Will probably sit in this state for quite a while. no $$$ for such things right now.
Next on the list i think will be getting all the bits off to powder-coat and plating or maybe mock up the suspension. Should be designing the house really!!