Engine for the project

stick with L24?
45%
do the RB swap?
55%

Total votes: 56
badhabit

Post by badhabit » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:42 pm

Wow. That 240z auction (race car) just exceeded what I paid for the new toy. This market for selling stuff is weird here, couldn't sell any of my Z's for about half that value and I could go and buy a 90's 911 that cost $80,000 new for less than that Z is going for! Must be an awesome Z! Will need revinning, certifying, engineers involved. Hope the new owner realises. Good to see another z find though.
1973 240Z - NZ new - RB25det build in progress
1973 240Z - USA new - 1 owner! In the drivers seat right now. Home soon.

us2
Z Club Member
Location: Weymouth by the sea.Auckland.Don't dream it ,be there

Post by us2 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:57 pm

What 240 race car is that? :?
!972 240z
Retirement is great. Growing old sucks.

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:09 pm

Been watching this one. Seems nice but .....

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =799417737

nustad
Z Club Member

Post by nustad » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:39 am

Your 911 sounds a bargain. The 964 shape is already tracking up - one to watch I reckon. They are appearing frequently in car scene media. I want one........
72 240z plus bits

us2
Z Club Member
Location: Weymouth by the sea.Auckland.Don't dream it ,be there

Post by us2 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:06 am

I'm very pleased to see NZeder corrected one of the posters on TM on the history aspect of the 240.
!972 240z
Retirement is great. Growing old sucks.

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:34 am

nustad wrote:Your 911 sounds a bargain. The 964 shape is already tracking up - one to watch I reckon. They are appearing frequently in car scene media. I want one........
I just love the flat six / air cooled rumble. Just start it up sometimes just to listen. No doubt do the same when the Z is going.
The early 911's are going for ballistic $$$$$$ saw and article a few yeard ago with a title "now is time to buy a 964"
It was a bargain....now I've priced you some of the parts to fix it it's less so but huge difference is cost again with genuine dealers here and overseas. But that's part of the fun of find it all all the bits from all corners of the world.

A arm suspension - overseas $5-600 US ..... NZ $2000!!!! Just crazy. Do they think we're stupid. Colin giltrap...we know your scam! Had their hand slapped before I believe by VW selling stuff to high.

Bumper - dealer NZ - $3500!!! Managed to find a good S/H one for $250!

Anyway...it's all stripped and ready to get it off for panelbeating of the wheel tray - pretty much the only structural damage! Bonus! :D :D

hurtle

Post by hurtle » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:38 pm

The 240Z on TM sold for $32,000 :shock:

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:22 pm

hurtle wrote:The 240Z on TM sold for $32,000 :shock:
Think there's something fishy going on? That seems a little high????

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:11 pm

bit of an update.

I finally found some time to begin the setup of the RB in the Z.
The ZR200 mounts seem to work ok, I'm going to use the original Z rubber mounts and weld on fixing tabs to the engine mounts and the sump / oil pickup is a god send for ease of install.

Small issue is the 'ears' on the original gbox mount need cutting off. Most the online RB builds seem to have a different mount to mine, they mount from the bottom rather than 'hang' with through bolts. So a little bit of fabrication required for the new mount. Should be able to use the original RB mount and L gbox mount.

In the rear i've thrown in the R200 and steel mustache bar just to check a few things. I've been looking or an R200 LSD with finned cover and as luck would have i found one!! only issue is the stock brace that hold the rear arms from wobbling about won't work any more because of the finned cover.
Options are - buy an AZC one with hangers (does have mounts for rear sway bar etc too.... or fabricate one up from steel and cut up the original mount?? Pic doesn't show it but it seems a common problem that only one company has a product for.

I have a techno toys billet aluminium bar up top but they don't make a brace - sent them an email to see if there is one in the pipeline??!!
I think the billet way might be the most pretty but may look at a CNC alloy bar cut here. Got some specs online from a guy who made one up.

I read somewhere that if i use the ZR200 mounts for the RB that the front half of the driveshaft from the skyline will fit??!! only change is the diff end flange. Looks like this is the case but need to bolt things up properly before i can be sure.

Anyway it was good to make some headway. Body goes off for some more skilled repairs soon. Panels need some massaging too so i can minimise any filler before first prime!! small steps!

BH

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:30 pm

She's off to the panel man this weekend.
Going to have the factory 200zr engine mounts modified as I don't like where it put the shifter in the tunnel - to far forward.
I had read that they do that but didn't know how far but an easy fix. Needs to move about 50mm back. Better weight distribution as a bonus.

Panel man will get the car ready to a point where I can seem seal the underside and apply the Wurth stippled underseal.
All the bits and pieces I just haven't had the time for. Got make some bigger headway!

Hoping to get the front and rear suspension / brakes all bolted together soon, sort all the diff and cv's, send the zx master cylinder out for rebuild.
Going through all the bolts and brackets etc to send off for zinc plating and powder coating. All of the new suspension arms etc are already done so just need to fit the poly bushes etc. MMMM new bits!!

BH

hurtle

Post by hurtle » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:10 pm

Random question, but how do you find the engine stand/rotisserie? I will be needing something for mine soon, so looking at options that won't break the bank!

Your build is looking good, is the gearbox an RB25det, if so, were there any issues fitting it (apart from the 'ears' that needed cutting off)?

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:56 pm

well the Z is seeing more quality love

My panel guy is redoing some of the work i originally did because i'm just not happy with some of it.
The rear corner is getting rebuilt and he's cleaning up some of the horrible work from previous owners e.g someone had cut big holes ifor speakers in the B pillars.
The surplus holes in the radiator support filled.
Floor rails cleaned up. The battery area need to removed to allow for seam sealer etc underneth and it turns out someone had been there before too. Much happier wit it now.
Some file work on the body to get rid of excess filler later.

and..... had a slight change of heart...I think i'm going to be changing the colour from white to grey and going with the carbon ZG flares. this pic is where we are headed now! more of a race theme.
Some say it may reduce the value but it'll be along way from a stock Z anyway so i think the overall scheme is more me. Is a shame to cut the guards but it's far from a perfect body to begin with. Can't get away from cutting the guards as far as i can tell?? anyone have experience?? My thoughts sway on doing it

So it's about a week or so from going to the blasters again to clean up the bits and put a better coat of epoxy than they did last time. After that we'll seam seal the underside and get some underseal on it!!! big step. From there it may sit in the shed for a bit as i've taken on a bigger project!! we've bought a piece of land and we're building a garage :shock: 8) GARAGE with house attached!! 100m2 of painted concrete floor and cool stuff - MANCAVE.... oh and a house on top somewhere.
Go BIG or GO HOME they say and it's been a life long dream to build and i'm not getting any younger!

The rotisserie has been modified to be a bit more stable.Image

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:39 am

Really nice project, Take your time and do it right. You will have to cut the guards if you want to put the bigger wheels and flares on. But the bigger wheels and flare are a real good look so go for it. I believe there is plenty of room for originality but you need to make the car the way you like it. That is the value to you. Well done enjoy.
Bernie Kant
Club President

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:28 pm

wise words.
Just pleased to have it progressing.

found the colour... i think :roll: 70's Porsche slate grey. Subtle and highlights the stainless trim.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:56 pm

Keep up the progress. We love seeing these projects reaching their next phase. Really exciting, another one step closer to being back on the road.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.