stick with L24?
45%
do the RB swap?
55%

Total votes: 56
badhabit

Post by badhabit » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:19 am

T3 arms now delivered. Real nice stuff.
American dollar over 86c! What else do I need or don't I need!
1973 240Z - NZ new - RB25det build in progress
1973 240Z - USA new - 1 owner! In the drivers seat right now. Home soon.

B101

Post by B101 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:49 pm

badhabit wrote:T3 arms now delivered. Real nice stuff.
American dollar over 86c! What else do I need or don't I need!
you going with a fuel cell? what carbon fiber components do you have again?

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:47 pm

Factory tank with surge tank I think. Might look at having tank modified to have internal pump. Not certain yet.
Carbon bumpers and rear light panel. Might look at front BRE style carbon spoiler, currently have FG full spoiler.

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:01 pm

more progress! panels are almost done so the body will see some love after anzac weekend!!

Anyone know of door hinge rebuild kits for S30's?
need to hang all the panels to get alignment right and helps for panel massage to have them hung on the body for rigidity

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:25 pm

badhabit wrote:more progress! panels are almost done so the body will see some love after anzac weekend!!

Anyone know of door hinge rebuild kits for S30's?
need to hang all the panels to get alignment right and helps for panel massage to have them hung on the body for rigidity
http://www.zclub.org.nz/viewtopic.php?t ... door+hinge

Nissan Parts

80410-01G00 bush
80406-V5002 pin

You have to shorten the pin but all works well

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:55 pm

sweet! thank you.
Found a atlanticz thread on rebuilding them too.

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:40 pm

I had my Right door hinges done. Took them to an engineering workshop and they re drilled and repined with brass bush's to avoid the problem again. Was a long time ago can't remember what it cost but can't have been to bad or I would have not forgotten.
Bernie Kant
Club President

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:02 am

i have my buddy the engineer all tee'd up to resolve.
He actually prompted me to look into it while he was doing my panel work.

I'll contact City Nissan next week. They are just down the road from me. Probably not a common request for them!?

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:37 am

Well she's on the move!
After a long slumber I got off my ass and made a start!
The panels have now been cleaned up/repaired and after the blasting of the body it's highlighted a couple of issues too.

I've had the body stored at my mothers place for a couple of years but it was time to transfer it back to mine.
Always an interesting exercise in logistics to get it on the trailer on my own. A few ropes and some grunting and she's on!
My garage has the welder and tools for the next step.

My body guy has a full shop at the moment so I'm going to clean up a few things that I can before some better skills are needed an the body.
The RH rear corner has been tapped before along with ugly bits here and there. Toying with the idea of redoing my floor repair with a premade panel, just not as clean as I'd hoped, some guidance needed from skilled hands. Don't want to have it painted and be wishing I'd spent a bit time in that bit. Not going to see it very often but I'd like to look underneath and smile as much as I will with the outside!!

While she's here I can get the RB motor/box slid in mocked up. Space in the garage might restrict that.
Need to hang all the panels back on and setup panel gaps.
All the parts for the underbody (struts / x-member etc) are ready to go for powder coating. All the T3 stuff is here and ready to go. Etc etc
Just wish that $$$ was as plentiful as my time at the moment then she'd all happen nice and quick! Still...the longer journey is fun!! BH

Did find some cool stuff in the boxes of bits for the Z.... These original DATSUN embossed plate surrounds!!
The original black plates too. Always nice but do have some p/plates for her too.

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:24 am

very cool - I have the SS Datsun backing plates on my zed too - well Datsun on the back and just a frame without words on the front - which is how these frames were sold originally I believe.

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:55 am

Stick with L6 you can do anything you want to them and they will perform as well as the more modern engines. The added benefit is that they are so reliable and sound so good. Go for a ride in Mikes car he has a good combination there,
Bernie Kant
Club President

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:55 am

Well! after some discussion with my engineer friend and a good look over the Z I know have a plan!

I'm not happy with the dented existing chassis rails and some previous repairs so I've ordered full length rails from the US.
These will also link into the rear chassis area and give the body some additional strength for the RB power.

These will clean up the underside and along with a lot of cleaning up of the original welds and my previous repairs and some seam sealer it'll be the quality that I was after!

So it's off for some grinding supplies and some time in the man cave!! Nice to make some progress soon!!!

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:06 pm

Started to get some momentum finally!
Chassis rails on their way....
Ground Control coilover kit on its way....need struts sorted so I can get it to powdercoated and assembled to I can get car on the ground and panels on for gapping. Did buy a full tokico HP set of springs etc but I want coilovers ultimately so better to do it now!

Got stuck into a bit more body work today.
I've never been 100% happy with the rear hatch slam panel. It wasn't badly rusted but the few holes I did fix didn't grind up nice because of awkward access and we all know that this area is prone to rusting so I decided to delve a little deeper!

What do ya know! Mr rust was just sitting waiting to cause issues later!!
So only thing to do is fab a new corner!!

Luckily I had a new NOS rear slam panel that would be the ultimate for here. Nothing like factory panels for fit and finish!
Had to place the carbon light panels in to make sure the position of the NOS panel is correct. Mmmmm carbon fibre.....

The right hand side of the car is better but after seeing what was under the original panel....I'll cut it out aswell. It'll bug me if I don't!

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:41 pm

Decided last night that I can't see myself sorting my own rear brake kit so I've bought the appropriate silvermine kit to match the stage 4 front kit I've got. Costly by the time I land it but just not going to think about that right now. Could save a lot by using the r31 skyline stuff I've got (now for sale in classifieds) if anyone is interested.
Silvermine kit.

Also found this pic of what I'm aiming for stance wise. Not a fan of the stripe though.

2 doors

Post by 2 doors » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:40 pm

good to see your doing this properly, love your work. mmmm carbon fibre