stick with L24?
45%
do the RB swap?
55%

Total votes: 56
badhabit

New Build - 73 240Z - RB25det

Post by badhabit » Thu May 20, 2010 8:57 pm

I may as well start a thread, even though the car is still a few weeks away!

It's and NZ New '73 Z. Don't know any history as yet, I'm sure mike will fill me in with what he knows or if anyone else knows of the car? - reg HD5629.

Originally a white body with red interior. Been painted black at some stage in it's life but Mike and his crew have seen to all the paint on the car - stripped to clean metal! I've bought may cars over the years and discovered that some has 'had a go' and the deeper you go the worse it gets but with this there are no surprises!

Body needs a couple of rocker / sills doing but they come with the car for replacement. I think the guards and others panels are also bare and from what i can see there is little else to do before a good coat of etch primer / or epoxy before i can safely start the build.

I'll be doing a 1200k road trip to pickup the Z. Auckland to ohakune, ohakune to Paraparaumu then the reverse. 2 days total. Body should fit on the trailer and rather than thrashing my own car to tow it the good lads at Budget Rentals are providing a Hi-Cube Diesel Hiace!

Right here is than plan.
BODY - The car was originally white with red interior, i'll probably stick with that. Always liked crisp white cars. All stock. No mods

INTERIOR - Stock red - or maybe black. Maybe some Autometer Guages for a little modern hint.

ENGINE - RB25det - maybe upgrade turbo - front pointing plenum (dont' like the over the top stock one) Probably highlighted cam covers in red. Want it to be super clean and reliable so nothing wild but still bring a smile on!. I'm still toying with building up the L24 too certainly easier but...

TRANS - RB25det + R200. maybe CV conversion. or stock 5spd if i go L24?

BRAKES - S12 caliper upgrade in front. Probably stock rear as i've read they they stock setup is pretty efficient? comments? SS flexi lines.

SUSPENSION - Tokico spring / shock setup? any suggestions? don't want super low. Adjustable? Eibach? I'll do all they poly bushes as well.

WHEELS - 17's preferably 7/8" staggered. Had that on LH240z so i have all the spacers etc already. I like chunky spoked rims so i'll be on the lookout.

Shit if it was only as easy to build these things as it is to dream they way you want it to be ah!
I've done a bit of searching on HybridZ etc for the RB swap but if anyone has any links they found invaluable then they would be appreciated!
Trying to post pics again..... Mr 'pest'? worked on the Newbie post - oh well pics to come!

us2
Z Club Member
Location: Weymouth by the sea.Auckland.Don't dream it ,be there

Post by us2 » Thu May 20, 2010 11:28 pm

Make a pristine car with L24 motor Chris is my humble opinion, unless you want a go fast project.

Everything stock is so much simpler. Clean it, chrome it, paint it, and assemble it.
!972 240z
Retirement is great. Growing old sucks.

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Fri May 21, 2010 9:43 am

How much power do you want? Do you really want a DOHC?

If you really really want a DOHC then RB is the way to go (unless you are lucky enough to have the $$ and contacts to purchase on of 6 new release OS Giken TC24-B1 that are currently getting re-manufactured. But sorry they are all sold :( )

If you want a good strong road car then stick with L24 - simple no cert issues + $$ saved on conversion parts = $$ to spend on suspension and brakes = that really makes a zed go better ;)

I will let you know what I think of RB powered zeds when I finish mine - never know might have to go back to L6 power if I am not happy. A L6 can make good strong and reliable power all day long = you can't go wrong.

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Fri May 21, 2010 10:52 am

that is the question....
how much power do ya really need????!!!!
I think a stock RB25det is rated at about - 260-270hp? Stock L24 rated at 150ish (assume both to be at flywheel). Quiet a jump

Of course the ideal thing would be to drive one. I've driven the L24 package so i guess the closest would be driving an R32 skyline and just see how well they go. Youtube vids are a source of reference.
My everyday car is a 270hp VW Bora V6 4motion which goes ok but she's a LUMP of a car with all that extra junk they carry around. So i guess i don't want to go to all the effort of building the Z and find it's a little 'flat'. I know an L6 can be tweaked to reasonable HP. Everything costs no matter which way.

I guess the determining factor for me is i like modern mechanicals but prefer old style. Like Mr Clarkson said 'we've gone backwards in styling'. well on the most part anyway but i can't afford a DB9! my TAX break just wasn't enough :wink:

The DOHC RB's can certainly be made to look very slick. Then again an L24 can be quite 'horny' with a black rocker cover and machined lettering.

hmm decisions!

us2
Z Club Member

Post by us2 » Fri May 21, 2010 1:26 pm

If you need to go down the transplant route, another good one is the SR20DET Nissan.Should be lighter than the RB25 and being a 4 can be set back further in the engine bay for better weight distribution :D Good for over 200 HP. :D
!972 240z

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Fri May 21, 2010 1:48 pm

yeah they are a bit cheaper to purchase too. Been looking at all options. V8 (also cheap), toyota 6cyl etc.
I always felt that a 4cyl 'cheated' the car of it's 6cyl heart. Although they did do a factory 4 cyl? not sure? a V8 swap seemed a little (excuse the xpression) - westie :lol: there is a wicked supercharged Z on youtube that i keep watching but I will go down the 6 path.

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Fri May 21, 2010 8:30 pm

badhabit wrote:yeah they are a bit cheaper to purchase too. Been looking at all options. V8 (also cheap), toyota 6cyl etc.
I always felt that a 4cyl 'cheated' the car of it's 6cyl heart. Although they did do a factory 4 cyl? not sure? a V8 swap seemed a little (excuse the xpression) - westie :lol: there is a wicked supercharged Z on youtube that i keep watching but I will go down the 6 path.
No 4 cyl S30's from Nissan sorry all 6 cyl - 2000cc, 2400cc, 2600cc and 2800cc and with mods anything up to 3200cc with the L6 (yes I have heard of a zed that was build in Japan in the 80s that was L6 and 3400cc almost)

Toyota 6 cylinder has been done and they are a good engine but not Nissan as is the Lexus V8 again good engines but not Nissan (if you want to keep it Nissan that is) the Nissan V8 is actually heavy and the Lexus has more parts readily available. 350 Chev or Ford V8 are an option too and lots of info on Hybridz.org about V8, RB and Toy 6 install + SR20DET too.

BMW make a good 6 cyl as do Merc. Then there is a guy in Oz installing a Turbo XR6 Ford 6 Cyl into his 240z. So lots of options.
Last edited by nzeder on Fri May 21, 2010 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Fri May 21, 2010 9:01 pm

Chris,

When you come down to collect the 240Z, I'll take you for a ride in my stroker 240Z and then you will have something else to base your comparisons on. And I have enough parts to nearly build a couple of stroker motors so we may need to discuss that option too.

us2
Z Club Member

Post by us2 » Fri May 21, 2010 11:40 pm

Chris. Get onto ClassicZ forum. Look for a thread under Car Forums titled "24 Months of Intensive Restoration" This will blow your mind.

This might have changed my mind as well. How about 430WHP and 306 ft lbs torque at 18psi boost, from a 2000 cc. :o
!972 240z

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Sat May 22, 2010 8:02 pm

us2 wrote:Chris. Get onto ClassicZ forum. Look for a thread under Car Forums titled "24 Months of Intensive Restoration" This will blow your mind.

This might have changed my mind as well. How about 430WHP and 306 ft lbs torque at 18psi boost, from a 2000 cc. :o
I like post #56 on page 3 - his reason for the SR20DET - I think if you are looking to do an engine conversion then I think Jared makes some good points for his power goals of the SR vs RB vs VQ and L28ET (Turbo looked to be his thing apart from the VQ)

limezed

Post by limezed » Sat May 22, 2010 8:04 pm

Maybe so... but does a 4 cylinder put a smile on ya dial like a six does? Regardless, unreal build job.

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Sat May 22, 2010 8:21 pm

limezed wrote:Maybe so... but does a 4 cylinder put a smile on ya dial like a six does? Regardless, unreal build job.
very unreal build job indeed. Re the 4cyl bit - there is reason most of us stick with a six ;) the music they make is well....I am sure we all know as we own 6 cylinder vehicles. Jared stated he likes the higher revs aka buzzy-ness and you could answer that with - get a motorbike now that is 4 cylinders that rev/have that buzzy-ness ;)

NOSFEDZ32

Post by NOSFEDZ32 » Sun May 23, 2010 9:50 pm

mmm the Supercharged Z "TargaZ" thats ol' Lewis's. Anyway a good swap is anything that you know and can fix, personally any RB swap is good, 25 with a RD28 crank kinda springs to mind, or even a VH41 with VH45 crank, rods and some nice forged pistons add some forced inductions and about 400+ rwhp...

Just go with your heart kid lol.
A few projects on the go....

badhabit

Post by badhabit » Wed May 26, 2010 5:18 pm

thanks for all your comments.
That 'intensive resto' thread is a nice piece of work.
Partial decision made - I will be using a 6 cylinder from the nissan family and that 20 just looks 'lost' in the engine bay. I'll leave the details of what derivative till i'm a little further down the track.

us2
Z Club Member

Post by us2 » Wed May 26, 2010 5:54 pm

when do you pick up the car Chris?
!972 240z