370z Steering Lock Failure

370Z
BRONZEE
Z Club Member

370z Steering Lock Failure

Post by BRONZEE » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:49 pm

In the US and UK they've done a recall, on the older model 370's, 2011 and before, as there has been a number with steering lock failure, rendering the car un-driveable.

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/70110-370- ... ll-action/
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

Osiris

Post by Osiris » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:16 am

Well When I asked months ago got told they had no program in NZ, got a call today and they are doing it now, getting mine done next month during my normal service.
'09 370z Black

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:13 am

That's good. 8) US was the first to do the recall, then the UK put heat on the GBN to the same due to the numbers that were falling pray to the problem.
Next - Z Club events:

BlueZ
Z Club Member

Post by BlueZ » Thu May 08, 2014 5:51 pm

Mine went during 2012 and I had to get the car trucked out of Wellington late after work to Nissan in the Hutt.

Nissan told me the problem was grease from the steering column getting into the electronic steering lock.

They replaced it even though the car was out of warranty as they said they had never seen this before.

Then during a routine service in 2013 they replaced it again with a redesigned part as by this time they were aware there was an issue and they were just doing as cars came in for service.

I had more problems earlier this year with starting. Turned out this time to be the safety switch on the clutch with my car being a manual.

And it took over 6 weeks to get a $75 clutch switch from Japan. Finally all now ok.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Thu May 08, 2014 8:56 pm

BlueZ wrote:Mine went during 2012 and I had to get the car trucked out of Wellington late after work to Nissan in the Hutt.

Nissan told me the problem was grease from the steering column getting into the electronic steering lock.

They replaced it even though the car was out of warranty as they said they had never seen this before.

Then during a routine service in 2013 they replaced it again with a redesigned part as by this time they were aware there was an issue and they were just doing as cars came in for service.

I had more problems earlier this year with starting. Turned out this time to be the safety switch on the clutch with my car being a manual.

And it took over 6 weeks to get a $75 clutch switch from Japan. Finally all now ok.
It's proven to be a very common problem over the last 2 years, in the older Z34's, both in the US and UK, so ours over here won't be any different. They grouped together in the UK and forced Nissan GB to admit a faulty part, and many have been changed out.

Another common problem.

Great that you've got them sorted. 8) Better to get them sorted earlier on, rather than later.
Next - Z Club events: