2009 370z

370Z
herojason

2009 370z

Post by herojason » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:53 am

Hi,

I'm considering getting a 370z for my next company car. It will be leased for three years, but tghe new ones are probably a bit too expensive (also i dont really like the 2013 changes). Do you guys know if there are any issues specific to the 2009 models? Im wanting to know if I will regret getting a 2009 one because maybe they had some problems that they have fixed in later years.

Any information would be appreciated.

thanks,

Jason

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:34 pm

Welcome to the forum Jason.

A number of older and brand new model 370's seem to experience fairly common issues with the soft tops (convertible top). Basically the tops don't line up as they should and rub through the canvas top (this is a hangover issue from the soft top 350's that doesn't seem to have been addressed 100%). Common if you read the UK & US forums. We've only got a few soft top 370's in the club thus far.

Being a company car, guessing it won't see any track time? If it does, the lack of oil cooler in the original model can become an issue when tracking, getting a bit uncomfortably hot (re-vised model has an oil cooler). Can be rectified if you can hunt down an oil cooler for a right hand drive.

We've had a couple that have had a few mild electrical problems.

Basically they're a reliable car, and handle mileage well without looking tired, if cared for. They're fairly comfortable for traveling distance.

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/89-370z-technical/

Good luck with your hunt, let us know if you get one.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

Buster

Post by Buster » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:06 pm

Go for a ride in one on different road surfaces.
I think they are similar to the 350z in that on the motorways the tire noise level is fine.
Tire noise level on coarse chip may not be to your liking.

herojason

Post by herojason » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:49 pm

Thanks a lot BRONZEE. I was aware of the oil temp issue, but yeah i wont be tracking it so wouldnt expect it to be a problem.

Sounds like they cars are pretty reliable since i cant find many other serious complaints about them. will definately let you know if i get one, and post some pics too :D.

thanks!

herojason

Post by herojason » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:51 pm

Hi Buster,

thanks for the advice. i used to have a 350z and people said the same thing, but it really didnt bother me. also i drove a new 370z for a couple days and really didn't find it a problem. if anything, the EVO I drive now is worse!

thanks

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:53 pm

herojason wrote:i used to have a 350z
And you've only just found the forum now. :P :lol: 8)
herojason wrote:also i drove a new 370z for a couple days and really didn't find it a problem. s
Might depend what tyres that 370 was on. I personally find the stock Bridgestone Potenza RE050A that they put on, produce quite a lot of road noise. Others I've driven with different tyres much quieter.

Forgot to say if you've had a 350 in terms of reliability, they're not really that much different, just updated everything, more rigid chassis (out of the box) and more hp. 8) Only thing that I found a downside was the lack of depth in the shall we call it a boot, quite a bit more shallow than the 350. On the upside a more open area for storage, so it all evens out.

How did you find visibility over the somewhat large wing mirrors?
Next - Z Club events:

herojason

Post by herojason » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:04 pm

BRONZEE (it wont let me quote because i havent made enough posts yet :s)
haha well i did find the forum a while ago, but i was more of a silent member. Absolutely loved my 350 though, only sold it because i had to get a company car. Am doing my best to be driving a Z again!
thanks for the advice on tyres, will be sure to check them out before i purchase.

Good to hear they arent much different in reliability to the 350, never had any issues with mine...

I agree about the shallow boot - picked up some pizzas (about 15) for work in the demo one i had last week and they barely fit in the boot lol.

Visibility was definately restricted compared to less sporty cars but again im not buying a Z because i want great visibility you know? I kind of like how its not really open and clear to look out of, makes you KNOW you are in a sports car! Same thing goes for no rear seets =D

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:40 pm

So what spec, year etc 350 did you have?

Lol, so it's only a 13 pizza boot. :P

I think you get used to, but unless you're quite tall, seeing over the wing mirrors, mainly going around roundabouts, I found somewhat interesting.

No rear seats is the biggest bonus of all, no taxi'ing people around. :D

When you find a 370 bring her along to a meet. 8) We've got quite a number of 370's in the club, quiet mob they are, :P but the more Zeds the merrier to any meet. 8)
Next - Z Club events:

Swwnz

Post by Swwnz » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:08 pm

Having had a 350z for awhile,I found that it did not have any issues,other than tyre noise.
I now have a 370Z roadster,which is also running on Bridgestone tyres,the car is magic and quite a step up in terms of finish/better interior etc,and general level of usability ,however the tyre noise is still with us!! And while it may not be a problem to some it can be a pain.
Having now done 20000 kms in it ,the tyres are coming up for replacement so after having trawled the forums( in the states the car has a big following ) will be fitting Hankook Ventus V 12, all round,not only do they make less road noise,on course chip,which we have on most of our roads here in the South Island,they are cheaper with only a small loss of performance over the bridgestones.
Anyway that is what I have found out so far,will report back when I have had them fitted!!!
Off to Christchurch this weekend,on the Bridgestones then off to Mt Cook the following with the Hankooks so will get a good comparison.
The 370z has a much improved turn in response over the 350z which I always found to be a bit lacking in that respect,when you were pushing it hard,we did a back to back run( on a closed section of road here in central Otago ) with the 350 z, a Honda S 2000 ,a supercharged MX 5 ,300zx and the 370Z,yes we have fun down here.and the 370z was just about on par with S 2000 which is pretty good when one considers mass and weight.
So to sum up Nissan has continued to improve the line.
Buy one!!
Steve.

Swwnz

Post by Swwnz » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:13 pm

PS.
To my last post,Also the exhaust note is crap,for a sports car,so you just HAVE to fit a decent system!!!!

Osiris

Post by Osiris » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:26 pm

I love mine, bit of a blind spot issue with the mirrors and the tiny side windows but other then that its a dream to drive day to day.
Exhaust not doesn't bother me, I think id get sick of a loud rumbler after a while.

Only common issue I've been able to find on forums (and on my car) is the little latch the locks the gas cap can break if you push or pull on it when its locked (Its made of plastic where it really should have been metal) :P
That's the only thing I've had fixed on my car since I've had it. So people could nick your petrol without having to damage you car with something to pry the door open which is a bit of a mixed blessing.
'09 370z Black

pauln

Post by pauln » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:06 pm

Swwnz wrote:Having had a 350z for awhile,I found that it did not have any issues,other than tyre noise.
I now have a 370Z roadster,which is also running on Bridgestone tyres,the car is magic and quite a step up in terms of finish/better interior etc,and general level of usability ,however the tyre noise is still with us!! And while it may not be a problem to some it can be a pain.
Having now done 20000 kms in it ,the tyres are coming up for replacement so after having trawled the forums( in the states the car has a big following ) will be fitting Hankook Ventus V 12, all round,not only do they make less road noise,on course chip,which we have on most of our roads here in the South Island,they are cheaper with only a small loss of performance over the bridgestones.
Anyway that is what I have found out so far,will report back when I have had them fitted!!!
Off to Christchurch this weekend,on the Bridgestones then off to Mt Cook the following with the Hankooks so will get a good comparison.
The 370z has a much improved turn in response over the 350z which I always found to be a bit lacking in that respect,when you were pushing it hard,we did a back to back run( on a closed section of road here in central Otago ) with the 350 z, a Honda S 2000 ,a supercharged MX 5 ,300zx and the 370Z,yes we have fun down here.and the 370z was just about on par with S 2000 which is pretty good when one considers mass and weight.
So to sum up Nissan has continued to improve the line.
Buy one!!
Steve.
So the S2000 was quicker than the 370z thats interesting .

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:51 am

pauln wrote:So the S2000 was quicker than the 370z thats interesting .
370z would we well up on torque though. :D
Next - Z Club events:

wld350

Post by wld350 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:09 am

I'd love to have a 370z company car! what a dream!

us2
Z Club Member
Location: Weymouth by the sea.Auckland.Don't dream it ,be there

Post by us2 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:45 am

With the tyre noise thing.
It's probably lack of sound deadening material, which has been omitted from your 350's and 370's to bring back
the feel of the roots of these cars AKA 240Z. Or it could be cost cutting, as in the 240Z.
I have driven a 350 on rough chip seal, and the tyre noise is similar to our 240.
The noise factor can be greatly improved, in a 240 anyway, with the addition of modern sound deadening material, or luggage placed
in the hatch and pillows stuffed behind the seats . I don't find the noise too intrusive, as a certain ammount of industrial
deafness, in my case. is an advantage. :lol:
!972 240z
Retirement is great. Growing old sucks.