370Z Oil and brake temps

370Z
pauln

370Z Oil and brake temps

Post by pauln » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:19 pm

Hi all , thinking of buying a 370 and have read lots of discussions on engine oil temp problems etc.
Has anybody experienced these issues ?
I see quite a few aftermarket oil coolers and brake vent kits, but find it rather annoying to have to install such things.

Thanks Paul

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:26 am

pauln wrote:Hi all , thinking of buying a 370 and have read lots of discussions on engine oil temp problems etc.
Has anybody experienced these issues ?
I see quite a few aftermarket oil coolers and brake vent kits, but find it rather annoying to have to install such things.

Thanks Paul
Welcome to the forum Paul.
A lot of the oil coolers available on the market are for left hand drive, so do your research and find ones that aren't. Sorry don't have the time right now that maybe suitable. General road driving, not thrashing it, you should be ok, track temps a bit different.

I'm sure Orsis will chime in soon. 8)
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

pauln

Post by pauln » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:13 am

Hey thanks for that Bronzee, hadn't thought about left hand drive. Owned a 05 manual 350z track which i enjoyed and never missed a beat .

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:33 pm

pauln wrote:Hey thanks for that Bronzee, hadn't thought about left hand drive. Owned a 05 manual 350z track which i enjoyed and never missed a beat .
Oh, so tell us about your 350. How long have you had it, NZ new or import, spec etc????
Next - Z Club events:

Osiris

Post by Osiris » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:23 pm

Most of the issues only come up when you are tracking the car ie under repeated heavy braking and acceleration. I've never got my oil temp to go very high at all (no where near the top of the dash gauge), even when playing with my car on the Napier Taupo road and a bunch of other windey hilly stuff.
Same goes for braking its only under repeated super heavy breaking the pads can overheat due to less then optimal airflow (Which they did to keep the drag coefficient low) I haven't seen anyone complaining about this except when tracking a car and doing alot of 0-100-near 0 type breaking, venting keeps the pads alot cooler therefore stops them breaking down due to the heat generated from slowing down fast to do tight track corners.

So as far as I've seen online and experienced both are only really an issue if your intending to go to alot of track days and going to push it very hard, for general driving even very hard driving doesn't seem to be an issue.
(also the NZ models all have the better brakes where in USA some of them have significantly worse stock brake pads and can upgrade to our standard)
'09 370z Black

pauln

Post by pauln » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:55 am

BRONZEE wrote:
pauln wrote:Hey thanks for that Bronzee, hadn't thought about left hand drive. Owned a 05 manual 350z track which i enjoyed and never missed a beat .
Oh, so tell us about your 350. How long have you had it, NZ new or import, spec etc????
NZ new had about 13000 km on clock when i brought it .
Silver , manual , Leather and Brembos . Sold it about 2yrs ago and think its time to look for a new toy .

pauln

Post by pauln » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:58 am

Osiris wrote:Most of the issues only come up when you are tracking the car ie under repeated heavy braking and acceleration. I've never got my oil temp to go very high at all (no where near the top of the dash gauge), even when playing with my car on the Napier Taupo road and a bunch of other windey hilly stuff.
Same goes for braking its only under repeated super heavy breaking the pads can overheat due to less then optimal airflow (Which they did to keep the drag coefficient low) I haven't seen anyone complaining about this except when tracking a car and doing alot of 0-100-near 0 type breaking, venting keeps the pads alot cooler therefore stops them breaking down due to the heat generated from slowing down fast to do tight track corners.

So as far as I've seen online and experienced both are only really an issue if your intending to go to alot of track days and going to push it very hard, for general driving even very hard driving doesn't seem to be an issue.
(also the NZ models all have the better brakes where in USA some of them have significantly worse stock brake pads and can upgrade to our standard)
Thanks for that

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:16 pm

pauln wrote:
BRONZEE wrote:
NZ new had about 13000 km on clock when i brought it .
Silver , manual , Leather and Brembos . Sold it about 2yrs ago and think its time to look for a new toy .
Gosh, when you purchased that was good mileage!!!

Keep us posted on the new toy. 8)
Next - Z Club events:

pauln

Post by pauln » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:07 pm

Guess the other burning question is how much road noise do you get with the 370 , i never had a problem with the 350 but others used to comment on its noise lol

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:17 pm

pauln wrote:Guess the other burning question is how much road noise do you get with the 370 , i never had a problem with the 350 but others used to comment on its noise lol
I've only driven 3 x 370s', and had one for 24 hours, clocked up some mileage. 8) If it's running on the tyres the dealers put on them here mostly with is the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A they're still quite noisy in comparison to the other tyre they list in the brochure with is the Yokohama Advan Sport V103.

In the brochure the Advan's are listed for the hard top 370's, and the RE050's on the soft top.

I'm not personally a fan of either the RE040 (that came on the 350's) or the RE050A (on the 370's). Obviously a personal thing.

Have you taken a 370 for a spin yet?
Next - Z Club events:

pauln

Post by pauln » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:02 pm

Thanks for the tyre info , No haven't driven one, had a quick look at dealers , and like there looks . Never seen one on the road here in HB, 350z are pretty common though. Dealer had one that had never been sold to public or used as a demo, only used by Nissan executive apparently. Was manual 1600kms and could have had it for 46k.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:26 pm

pauln wrote: Was manual 1600kms and could have had it for 46k.
Good price for the mileage, as long as everything checks out.
Next - Z Club events: