Engine hesitation when cold under light throttle

350Z
Liamaffleck

Engine hesitation when cold under light throttle

Post by Liamaffleck » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:30 pm

Hi everybody!

I am having a problem with my 2006 track edition.

When the car is cold and warming up, the engine hesitates under light throttle. It almost feels like a misfire.

When the engine is at operating temperature, I get a slight detonation when I put my foot down quickly at lower revs and sometimes higher.

I don't know if these problems are related, but I would like to know if anyone else has had this problem.
I've used some MAF cleaner on the air flow meter and I've changed the spark plugs. Not too sure where to go next.

Any feedback would be greatly healpful.
Thanks!

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:11 am

As you're getting detonation, are you running 98 octane? If not that is the recommended fuel for a 350z. The lower octanes will cause pinging.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

Liamaffleck

Post by Liamaffleck » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:27 pm

I had been running 95 octane. Since your reply, I have put 98 in it and done an ECU reset, but the problems persist. I think I'm going to try my hand at doing a throttle relearn as well and see how that goes.

On a side note, other than the main problems, the car runs better after resetting the ECU.

Greensheep
Z Club Member

Post by Greensheep » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:26 pm

I think there was a post recently about a 350 with issues
I think it turned out to be fuel dampeners
It's always a good day when you drive a Z

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:07 pm

It could be, as it's a known issue.

Also you can try the Pedal Dance, to find the fault code & go from thereL
https://zclub.nz/viewtopic.php?t=3554
Next - Z Club events:

07pearl

Post by 07pearl » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:50 pm

Yeah I started the thread with the fuel dampers. My symptoms were slightly different. No detonation. The light throttle hesitation was there all of the time regardless of engine temperature. The dampers were replaced and the car has remained problem free for more than 10,000kms. My car is a HR, so the throttle dampers are different to yours but it's worth a shot, they a relatively cheap and easy to swap out.
Last edited by 07pearl on Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:55 pm

Might be worth posting on the UK pages, see who responds. www.350z-uk.com. Their facebook page is locked, so you need to be invited in.
Next - Z Club events:

OMSIN

Post by OMSIN » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:59 pm

Did you notice oil in te spark plug chambers?

Simply putting 98 in the car won’t help if it’s mixing with 95 from your last fill up.

Highly likely it’s a misfire, but if that was the case you SHOULD get an engine check light if it persists.

He car feeling better after an ECU reset is because the car has two base maps economy and performance. Depending on your driving style te car will alternate, if you’re no pushing the car very often it’s likely it will drop a bit of power (10hp) to give better fuel economy - or so I’m told by a tuner in the US.

Km’s On the car?