Track experience

350Z
Camross

track day

Post by Camross » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:28 pm

Just like driving on the road, it take some time to learn to do everything at once.
The same is to be said with the track.
Yes you always need to have your eyes on the mirrors so you dont turn into someone tring to pass you into a corner.
Sounds like you just need to spend some more time practicing on the track. Just try to have fun and if you feel like you can dive a little bit faster then drive a little bit faster.
You will get there in the end.
I wouldnt bother doing anything else on your car for the time being. Ive done many track days in a stock Z33 and had a ball. Even my 350 race car has minimal mods (no aftermarket sway bars etc like you talked eailer).

Cam

Baker93
Z Club Member

Post by Baker93 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:18 am

Yes it always pays to check your mirrors !
Race track overtaking rules are outlined in the Motosport NZ Manual. This is available online to be viewed.
However i suspect 100% of public track day competitors sorry participants have never even seen this publication let alone read it. I strongly suggest you get yourself a copy and read the relative sections. I am not going to try to explain it here, as it would be like trying to explain the rules of the road to an unlicensed driver and then telling them they are good to go.
I realise it is "only" a track day but i have witnessed the most appalling driving standards at these days ( and im not talking about driving skill )
I normally find myself more afraid, nervous and pooping myself at these days than i do at any race meeting.
Generally speaking if every one adheres to the driving standards listed in the Motorsport Manual there would be far fewer problems.
Again this is sounding like an excellent topic to have a club instruction night on. I am happy to investigate this on my return.

mikec(nz)
Z Club Member

Post by mikec(nz) » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:02 pm

do you look at the back mirror to see whether there is a car close behind you? Cause before taking a corner
I think it is best to glance behind you before you brake (i.e. on the straight leading up to the corner). When you think that fast cars are generally only 10-20 secs a lap faster, it will take quite a bit of time to catch you so you should see them well before they get close. Focus on your corner, the car behind is the one responsible for a safe overtake. (But I concur with Anthony's comments below track days do sometimes bring out the worse in some people). But you should see a flash of colour anyway or fit a nice big rear view mirror.

At playdays there is often driver training available for $50-100 for a few laps. Racing Ray is at the next Hampton's play day next friday I think.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:18 pm

mikec(nz) wrote:
Racing Ray is at the next Hampton's play day next friday I think.
Ray was at Concours d' Elegance today chatting to people with his Porsche with his record breaking Porshce.

Also the Motorsport Manual:
http://www.motorsport.org.nz/resources/ ... ort-manual
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

LD

Post by LD » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:38 am

Cool, thanks guys. That makes things clear now. The reason I asked because in the anime Initial D (if any of you guys know it), Takumi - the main character said that he shouldn't look back at the mirror in terms of focusing on the road lol.

Also, thanks for the manual below, even if it is too long and I am quite lazy to read all of them haha.
BRONZEE wrote:
mikec(nz) wrote:
Racing Ray is at the next Hampton's play day next friday I think.
Ray was at Concours d' Elegance today chatting to people with his Porsche with his record breaking Porshce.

Also the Motorsport Manual:
http://www.motorsport.org.nz/resources/ ... ort-manual

LD

Post by LD » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:49 pm

Following this topic, I took my car out for another track last week at Pukekohe. This time it feels much better. Now I since I paid attention, I relised that the 350Z is quite slow out of a corner. To prevent that, I tried to brake later before entering a corner. However, sometimes I am in a situation where I have to brake while taking corner. Moreover, sometimes the car slightly slides in the corner and I can clearly feel it.

Is it a right way to be on the corner in terms of achieving max speed?

Skiwi

Post by Skiwi » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:41 am

Brake as late as possible, be off the brake before you enter the corner, make sure you're apexing correctly and getting back onto the gas as soon and smoothly as possible is the limit of the advice I can give.

Due to the infinite variability in all of the above points means the seat of the pants is still the best way to tell if you're on the limit ;)
When you drive a "Z" the destination is moot

mikec(nz)
Z Club Member

Post by mikec(nz) » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:39 am

I don't mean to be rude, but do you really think there is a answer to be found on an internet forum in a few lines?

Lots of practice and driver training is the only way. I remember being at manfeild race track it was my first time there and they offered driver training. Though I've done a bit of racing I took the advantage but I was one of the few people that have done so, despite many people being there for the first time. In fact of the people at the new drivers briefing I was the only one that stayed to book driver training. Though he was booked out all day, probably by more experienced drivers that realised it was a benefit to have driver training.
Brake as late as possible, be off the brake before you enter the corner,
Bob disagrees with you and he ran the Most successful school of high performance racing in the USA. Here's a cool old video and it's got lots of datsuns in it.

https://youtu.be/4TxexxPeumo

Here's an even better one
https://youtu.be/xQRmYMlmdqM

But as a talented Zed driver once told me, he will take every opportunity to be on the track as nothing beats experience.

However the best way to go fast around a racetrack is to not be the person paying the bills :)

Baker93
Z Club Member

Post by Baker93 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:33 pm

As Mike said above, it is a matter of seat time. There is always something to be learnt from someone else. I am the same, its fair to say ive been doing this a fair while but if i get the opportunity to hop in a car with someone more experienced i jump at the chance. Good driver training is the best money or time youll ever spend on your track experience.
You seem really keen so Ill stick my neck out there and say give me a call (0274 976 951) next time your going to the track and ill see if i can be there.
Anthony

Baker93
Z Club Member

Post by Baker93 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:41 pm

I just briefly watched Mikes second posted Youtube link. Pretty much sums it all up. The best way around any corner is what gets you to the next corner in the shortest time ( in simplistic terms) have a think about this in terms of an overall lap time.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:35 pm

The committee are thinking about organising another tech event, with the focus being on track skills. Might be of interest for you LD.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

LD

Post by LD » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:46 pm

Cheers guys, heaps of thanks for the help. I will contact you guys shortly.