Tuning the 350Z

350Z
mudgripz

Tuning the 350Z

Post by mudgripz » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:15 pm

How easy is this motor to tune for extra kw? Are there chips you can easily buy and fit to ECU as for 300ZX? Or can you do an ECU reflash and tune successfully.

My (sold) 300ZX ran at 360hp with chip and extra boost - wondering what the 350Z can be tweaked to without spending many $$.

I imagine this info will apply equally to the 350GT Skyline - same motor?

Comments appreciated

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:49 am

You might want to specify whether it's an DE or HR engine. :wink:
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

mudgripz

Post by mudgripz » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:03 am

Ok - don't know the difference as yet. Just beginning to look at this model. Probly looking at max 10-12k which means about 2004-2005 model if that helps.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:45 pm

mudgripz wrote:Ok - don't know the difference as yet. Just beginning to look at this model. Probly looking at max 10-12k which means about 2004-2005 model if that helps.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_350Z There you go.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

mudgripz

Post by mudgripz » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:10 pm

Thanks for that - I'm assuming standard VQ35DE, say 2005. Any readily available chip/tuning options for this? And can 180kph speedo limiter be easily removed - for track purposes of course..

Camross

Post by Camross » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:57 pm

There is little to be gained in tuning a stock 350z from my experience.
Im assuming your old 300zx was a turbo and that makes a chip or tune easier to get more power because you can raise the turbo boost.
As the 350z is N/A there is not big gains to be made.
You can tune using uprev software on the cars standard computer but even after doing exhuast and intake a tune might only make 5 extra KW. If the person doing your tuning doesnt do it right you could risk damaging your engine (as happened to me).
With uprev you can easily remove the 180kph limiter. Mine is set to about 1200kph.

mudgripz

Post by mudgripz » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:31 pm

Thanks for the info....

Where do I get, or who can do the uprev software raise to remove 180kph cutout? Local Chch tuning shop NZEFI charges $399 for this purpose - alot of moolah for very quick job.

Camross

Post by Camross » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:06 pm

That does sound like a lot for what is a 5 minute job.
They may have to pay for a licence for your car to use uprev that could be $200-300 of that money. Licence only needs to be bought once, then uprev can be used anytime you want.
I would ring around other places as im not sure about the licence part for the speed cut.

Luxo

Post by Luxo » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:03 am

As stated above there's not much extra power to be had. It's recommended to do supporting modifications before a tune. I've done the basics being Intake and complete exhaust including cat delete (reputable parts each with promising dyno results). I'm heading to Rapid Performance Timaru who I believe are better than all CHCH tuners. They've quoted me $800-$900 for dyno tune including Uprev licence which I think is a great price. Though after all that I'll be lucky to see 20-30 HP over factory, maybe more if they're really good.

Sadly it's extremely hard for a DE to see 300whp, we'd definitely need cams, Injectors etc so it's not worth it. HR can reach 300whp easily with larger diameter intake/tube, Long tube headers and good exhaust (of course a good tuner)

Best bang-for-buck power is EASILY a vortech supercharger kit. This can be bought as a complete bolt in kit including injectors, fuel pump and Uprev startup tune and license for custom tune. RZG sells the kit for around 7k NZD. They rate these kits as a safe 400-420whp on factory internals (150whp over factory) but it completely depends on the tuner as to how much power you'll make and how safe it will be. I've heard they need to keep torque below 400nm or the valves will go so 350w/tq is a safe compromise.
2005 350Z ST money pit.

mikec(nz)
Z Club Member

Post by mikec(nz) » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:05 pm

Easy power gain - sell 350Z buy back 300ZX TT :D :D

mudgripz

Post by mudgripz » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:25 pm

:D :D

I have had the 350Z for 2-3 weeks now and done over 1000ks plus a long trip or two. It is interesting to compare it with the 300ZXTT. My 300 twin turbo had more advantages than the 350 but the advantages the 350 has are good ones.

The 300ZXTT is much easier to tune, it is quicker over a measured 400m, has alot better internal space with its 2+2 config, better furnished interior, feels flatter at high speed, and has more wow appeal to drive. After chip added mine was extremely fast.

The 350 on the other hand feels like the driveable sportscar for day to day use. It is a little cramped and has cheapish interior, but it is also a very good performer. It handles well, is easier to drive round town with its more forgiving suspension, is vastly better than the 300 for fuel economy (29mpg or 10.2 kml for trip finished today), and it is alot better for maintenance with its newer drivetrain/motor that has never been in storage like many low k 300s where seals/hoses etc perish.

The now classic 300ZXTT has more wow factor to drive. But - the 350 is a nicely balanced sportscar package. It's a genuine Z car and will also be a worthy classic in a few years. I'd pick the 300 for occasional weekend drives, but for more frequent outings in both town and country, or as a daily driver, I'd pick the 350. No losers here.

djz

Post by djz » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:07 pm

Remove VQ35, insert VQ30DET, fit a bigger turbo and injectors and enjoy.
Nissan 280ZX 2 seater RB26 powered.

Greensheep
Z Club Member

Post by Greensheep » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:18 pm

djz wrote:Remove VQ35, insert VQ30DET, fit a bigger turbo and injectors and enjoy.
Better still remove the VQ and insert an LS1, the Americans have a crate engine and a kit too fit the 350z :twisted:
It's always a good day when you drive a Z

mikec(nz)
Z Club Member

Post by mikec(nz) » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:56 pm

Agree with djz. But maybe the vr30ddtt might be better. Greensheep hush your month. Not sure the 350Z will become a classic, maybe they 370 might. Time will tell.

djz

Post by djz » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:25 pm

mikec(nz) wrote:Agree with djz. But maybe the vr30ddtt might be better. Greensheep hush your month. Not sure the 350Z will become a classic, maybe they 370 might. Time will tell.
VR38? More than 10 times the price of a VQ30DET, an unopened VQ30 will make 500rwhp, should be enough for a street 350Z. Or a VK56 would be pretty sweet.
Nissan 280ZX 2 seater RB26 powered.