Tuning the 350Z

350Z
Luxo

Post by Luxo » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:24 pm

VQ30 and VK swaps have both been done in the US and both proven to be too costly. LS swap is relitively easy due to the availability of swap kits. Also the huge availability for LS parts makes them the easiest application for huge power.

RB26DETT has also been done but everyone to try has over 15k USD in the swap.

I'd rather stick to a safe 400rwhp on a boosted VQ35. Keep it simple. If it blows VQ35's are cheap lol.
2005 350Z ST money pit.

DRFTIN

Post by DRFTIN » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:39 am

i'm confused
when you buy a 350/370z surely you look at its lack of turbo and have one of 2 plans:
1 - keep the power level relatively standard and be happy with what its got, knowing that small mods wont have the power increases of a turbo car
2 - be willing to spend $10-20k+ on go fast bits

mudgripz

Post by mudgripz » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:52 am

350 is a good performer stock but it's always interesting to look for easily available hp/kw increases - finding the low hanging fruit. From tuning my diesel offroaders as well as sportscars the increase is often in small increments - tweaks here and there. A matter of finding them.

Personally I will not do LS1 conversion etc because if I wanted 400rwhp the 350Z would not be the car I'd buy. LS1 and turbo charging are interesting options for it however.

Luxo

Post by Luxo » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:52 pm

DRFTIN wrote:i'm confused
when you buy a 350/370z surely you look at its lack of turbo and have one of 2 plans:
1 - keep the power level relatively standard and be happy with what its got, knowing that small mods wont have the power increases of a turbo car
2 - be willing to spend $10-20k+ on go fast bits
Yeah two years ago when I purchased it I had no intention for big power. Just improve handling. Though I like the idea of going from 250-400hp with a basic centrifugal supercharger. 7k NZD includes everything including base tune, mechanic at work has installed Vortech systems before and said they're a breeze so labor won't be too bad. Maybe 10k all up as a rough estimate?

I only mentioned LS because it's literally the cheapest option for crazy HP and I'm talking 500+ NA easily. I'd never do it myself however it'd be ridiculously fun and can't beat the sound of an aggressively cammed V8
2005 350Z ST money pit.

DRFTIN

Post by DRFTIN » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:49 am

yeah its a bit different when you get further along the line and decide you'd like to mod it more, if i keep mine a few years i'll probably do some silly power mods when i never had any intention to when i bought it
im more talking about the people who buy one and then whinge that they can't get 5-100hp by throwing boost at it like you can in other turbo cars

Luxo

Post by Luxo » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:30 am

Yeah I know exactly what you mean. It isn't a great platform for big power and super expensive for a little power lol. I could put 5k in to my DE and it'll still dyno at less than your HR haha. Your bonus is that with the right bolt on mods (long tube headers, full exhaust and Admin Tuning intakes + Osiris tune) you can reach over 300whp which is easily enough for track day antics and to hang with the likes of VE SS's on the straight lol
2005 350Z ST money pit.

Luxo

Post by Luxo » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:39 am

I'd find it hard to look past a 335i Beemer if I wanted a daily with some big power. From what I've read those 3.0 straight 6 turbos are extremely solid and de-tuned to hell from factory. A lot of dudes in the US are pushing 600hp with pretty basic setups. Only problem is they're a BMW haha.
2005 350Z ST money pit.