Hatch gas struts - need more oomph

350Z
Skiwi

Hatch gas struts - need more oomph

Post by Skiwi » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:31 am

Anyone upgrsded thier gas struts to cope with the extra weight of a rear wing?

My standard struts wont support the weight, how can I tell if its the struts getting tired or the weight of the wing?.

Expereineces, recommendations apprecited.

Cheers
Skiwi
Last edited by Skiwi on Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

DKNWSZX

Post by DKNWSZX » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:00 pm

Best bet is to talk to somebody in your area who recharges gas struts they will be able to give you the most accurate info.

You will typically be looking to pay for a pair to be recharged anywhere from $40-$100. I've never know boot/bonnet struts to cost more than that unless you buy brand new ones.
Good things are worth waiting for, but great things happen at once.

Luxo

Post by Luxo » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:07 am

Skiwi wrote:Anyone upgrsded thier gas struts to cope with the extra weight of arear wing?

My standard struts wont support the weight, how can I tell if its the struts getting tired or the weight f the wing?.

Expereineces, recommendations apprecited.

Cheers
Skiwi
Z1 or ConceptZperformance sell them. I believe they're rated for aftermarket wings.
2005 350Z ST money pit.

Luxo

Post by Luxo » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:09 am

https://conceptzperformance.com/p2m-rea ... _23513.php

There you go. CZP ship to NZ generally within a week
2005 350Z ST money pit.

Skiwi

Post by Skiwi » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:09 pm

Thanks Team, info much appreciated

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:24 am

Luxo wrote:https://conceptzperformance.com/p2m-rea ... _23513.php

There you go. CZP ship to NZ generally within a week
Or if Zilver is doing a group buy, he might be able to include in his order. Think he's just done one though.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

ZILVER

Post by ZILVER » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:34 am

I've got the upgrade hatch struts on my Zs they certainly add oompth.

Being gas charged they are classed as a hazard item and wont send via Airmail, though I can usually include such in a bulk buy via kiwishipping/surface.

I'm actually going to try collect the current bulk buy orders today; But there seem to be always others interested in participating in the CZP bulk Buys if you wish to add them for the next round- I'll ship such small stuff free.
However this will probably be when the next christmas deal gets declared by these USA vendors.
We're also experiencing that surface shipping / custom clearance is taking 2 weeks longer than norm. Though please PM if interested and I'll work up a quote and ETA

kirihi
Z Club Member

Post by kirihi » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:34 am

Another thing that you can do - rear wiper delete kit (remove the wiper and wiper motor), reduces weight; the car looks better without it! :-) See the link below.

https://zclub.nz/viewtopic.php?t=3635&highlight=
2007 (HR) Magnetic Black 350Z Enthusiast

Skiwi

Post by Skiwi » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:12 pm

Thanks Everyone,
A set of grunty struts ordered via Zilver, I can wait....... patiently......honest.....

Are they here yet? 😉

Slow Loris

Post by Slow Loris » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:49 pm

I bought some from AliExpress and they should be strong enough to hold up a rear wing.
I got mine shipped from USA via NZ post YouShop and cost NZD19.50 for shipping on top of the original purchase price.
It was cheaper than having it shipped direct from China.

www dot aliexpress dot com slash item slash Set-of-2pcs-Tailgate-Gas-Struts-Hatchback-Shock-Struts-Damper-Lift-Supports-for-Nissan-350Z-Z33/32508579856.html

The only thing with the new struts is I have to manually unlock and lift the rear hatch before the struts take over and raise the hatch the rest of the way.

So just another option for those looking for rear struts in the future.

Skiwi

Post by Skiwi » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:25 am

Slow Loris wrote:The only thing with the new struts is I have to manually unlock and lift the rear hatch before the struts take over and raise the hatch the rest of the way..
Sorry if this a noob question, but is there a way to pop the hatch other than manually?

Luxo

Post by Luxo » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:48 am

I've always had to lift mine manually. Would be handy if it popped up by itself after hitting the button but I think everyone is in the same boat
2005 350Z ST money pit.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:08 pm

Luxo wrote:I've always had to lift mine manually. Would be handy if it popped up by itself after hitting the button but I think everyone is in the same boat
Yes standard, they do release from the catch and should go up easily with a little assistance with all the heavy glass in the tail.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

NISMO33

Post by NISMO33 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:15 pm

Skiwi wrote:
Slow Loris wrote:The only thing with the new struts is I have to manually unlock and lift the rear hatch before the struts take over and raise the hatch the rest of the way..
Sorry if this a noob question, but is there a way to pop the hatch other than manually?
I found this out using the PDF manual guide from the net.

There is a latch/pulley system under the rear strut tower bar in the boot of the car. I think it's a safety mechanism? but if you pull on it, it should pop the boot from inside.

I haven't tried it myself, but I'm guessing you could use it for when you're in the car and want to open the trunk ready before walking around.

My car (being a Japanese import) first NZ owner, I discovered mine to have it's cover missing? or is it already open? but looks like there is supposed to be one on top of it.

Slow Loris

Post by Slow Loris » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:34 am

NISMO33 wrote:
Skiwi wrote:
I found this out using the PDF manual guide from the net.

There is a latch/pulley system under the rear strut tower bar in the boot of the car. I think it's a safety mechanism? but if you pull on it, it should pop the boot from inside.

I haven't tried it myself, but I'm guessing you could use it for when you're in the car and want to open the trunk ready before walking around.

My car (being a Japanese import) first NZ owner, I discovered mine to have it's cover missing? or is it already open? but looks like there is supposed to be one on top of it.
I have a 2003 Track Japanese import which I got in 2004.
What cover(location of) are you referring to?

I have read somewhere that you can/could add additional 'rubber' washers to the existing 'sprung' rubber stopper located on the upper hatch half towards the strut arm.
This could give the hatch that little extra 'pop' to get it past the latch, allowing those that can, for it to self raise.

Think my 'new' struts are to strong as they tend to have no effect for the first 20cm of the opening action.
It's a 'good strong' pull with one arm to close until one gets back down to approx 30cm from the latch and then it just drops.

I'm not sure the action works quite right on mine as it is at the moment, but at least it's not dropping on my head any-more which was the case with the old 12year old struts. :)