2007 350z HR almost stalls

350Z
07pearl

2007 350z HR almost stalls

Post by 07pearl » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:54 pm

I have just bought my 2007 350z HR and my dealer is looking into this problem I have with it:

Its very difficult to pull away smoothly from a stop. It almost stalls.

It happens in any gear including reverse. It also happens whilst cruising at around 50kmh in top gear. The revs bounce up and down and you can feel it in the drive.

If you accelerate briskly from a stand still it doesnt happen. If you pull away slowly it gets to around 1000rpm and the revs dip suddenly towards zero.

It doesnt seem to happen if the engine is totally cold. (First start of the day). However the idle is above that 1000rpm point when it is cold.
There are absolutely no other problems with the way the car drives.

The fault is still there when the engine is not under load. In neutral it still does it as you pass through that 1000rpm point.
But only if you have got the accelerator pedal in a certain spot. Slightly heavier or lighter on the pedal and it doesnt happen.
If I hold the rpm at 1000 it does not falter, it is smooth. I tried this at various points from idle up to 2000 rpm and it is smooth, no miss fire or anything like that.

I also tested with it in drive and my foot on the brake. It almost stalls every time at the 1000rpm point, or just below.

Any ideas?

Greensheep
Z Club Member

Post by Greensheep » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:38 pm

Might need to take it to a Nissan dealer to run diagnostics on it
And from what you have said it maybe linked to the throttle position sensor
Good luck :D
It's always a good day when you drive a Z

07pearl

Post by 07pearl » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:25 pm

Thanks. Its been to Nissan and there are no fault codes.
They want to change a throttle body but they cannot guarantee that will fix it. It seems that they want to keep changing parts until the problem is fixed.
The dealer (and I agree with him) wants to diagnose the fault before we start swapping things out...

Nissan suspect the driver's side throttle. (dual induction on a HR motor) they say it is not "doing what the other one is doing".

What else could cause this kind of problem? It drives perfectly well otherwise... it's an awesome car! :)

07pearl

Post by 07pearl » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:54 pm

Well the problem is worse now. I get hesitation and surging at any point below 2000rpm. Town driving is horrible, kangarooing all over the place. Good news is that the dealer has taken the car back and diagnosed the fault as the drivers side throttle body. Just waiting for the part to arrive and we should be good to go.

07pearl

Post by 07pearl » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:22 pm

The car has been off the road for two months now. I took it back to the dealer. 300kms away so i cant even go and look at the car... I miss it so much

Anyways.... they are going to change the fuel dampers... they are 100 percent sure thats the problem... but its taking so damn long to fix my car...! two months so far

They gave me a mazda demio to use for now... :( lol

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:00 am

07pearl wrote:The car has been off the road for two months now. I took it back to the dealer. 300kms away so i cant even go and look at the car... I miss it so much

Anyways.... they are going to change the fuel dampers... they are 100 percent sure thats the problem... but its taking so damn long to fix my car...! two months so far

Put heat on the dealer nicely. Especially if you don't have another car., but at least you have have the Demio Two months is crazy, it only usually takes a couple of days or so for parts to arrive in from Japan. I get parts in the from the US in well under a week.

I'd also check what petrol you left it with and how much is in when you get it back and check mileage too. ;)
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

DRFTIN

Post by DRFTIN » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:05 pm

BRONZEE wrote:
07pearl wrote:The car has been off the road for two months now. I took it back to the dealer. 300kms away so i cant even go and look at the car... I miss it so much

Put heat on the dealer nicely. Especially if you don't have another car., but at least you have have the Demio Two months is crazy, it only usually takes a couple of days or so for parts to arrive in from Japan. I get parts in the from the US in well under a week.

I'd also check what petrol you left it with and how much is in when you get it back and check mileage too. ;)

unless Japan is out of stock which does happen occasionally

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:30 pm

That's a pity. Oh well, at least you have a .......... Demio to drive. ;)
Next - Z Club events:

07pearl

Post by 07pearl » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:45 pm

I went to pick the car up this week. it was supposed to be fixed. It was perfectly okay to start with. I tested it around town before I started the 300km trip home.
50kms down the road and it started surging again, exactly the same problem as before... 3 months wasted!
I turned around and took it back... I am waiting for my refund.

So I am back in the market for a 350Z.

Greensheep
Z Club Member

Post by Greensheep » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:29 pm

Good to get a result even if it wasnt the result you neccasarly wanted
good hunting :D
It's always a good day when you drive a Z

Skiwi

Post by Skiwi » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:34 am

Not sure if its any use, but.....

I get some slight surging at low speeds before the Zed warms up properly.
My seat of the pants diagnosis puts it down to the automatic choke having trouble making up its mind when its on the cusp of opening completely.
Cheers
Skiwi
When you drive a "Z" the destination is moot

07pearl

Post by 07pearl » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:39 pm

The problem with mine happens all the time after warm up. the fault seemed to be clear for the first hour or so after it came out of the workshop.

The fuel dampers were replaced. The workshop apparently eliminated everything else in their diagnosis.
A throttle body was suspect at one stage because when they cleaned it the symptoms went away for a short period.
They did not change the throttle body (maybe they didnt want to... expensive).

There were no trouble codes, no check engine light.

It's still a mystery. But as soon as I get my full refund I am moving on.

I am looking for another 07/08 HR

kirihi
Z Club Member

Post by kirihi » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:33 pm

Glad you're still keen to buy another one. They are worth it, trust me! :-) Manual though ;-)
2007 (HR) Magnetic Black 350Z Enthusiast

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:30 pm

Just because it's not showing a fault light at the moment, doesn't mean there hasn't been one. It is possible to temporarily blank them, but they usually come back.
Next - Z Club events:

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:31 pm

Better luck with number 2.
Next - Z Club events: