Drag race on 350Z

350Z
LD

Drag race on 350Z

Post by LD » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:48 pm

So here is my results at Meremere yesterday. Any thoughts any comments? I think I need to upgrade power as it is stock engine atm.
Attachments
350z_drag_results_20161104.png
350z_drag_results_20161104.png (34.79 KiB) Viewed 7811 times

Greensheep
Z Club Member

Post by Greensheep » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:31 pm

Very interesting
Your 2nd and 3rd run are very close, nice and consistant
I wonder what the differences were between the 2nd and 5th run as you managed 3.5 miles an hour fast on the 5 th run but were slower by time, maybe wheel spin/tyre grip or short gear changing or changing at higher rpm
What fuel were you running ?
What tyre pressure did you run?
Do you have sticky tires or road tires
More Horse power is always good till you start breaking things, how much weight can you remove, spare wheel etc, with out stripping the car of course? Do your runs with less than a quarter of a tank of fuel, a full tank equals weight, You might be surprized how much quicker the car is with the weight gone,
This stuff is really fun as the little things make a relatively big difference eg tire pressure can make you or break you regardless of the horse power
The trick is to constantly improve your personal best and get the most out of what you drive :D
It's always a good day when you drive a Z

07pearl

Post by 07pearl » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:43 pm

How do I get a go at Meremere? I would like to take mine to it's limits somewhere...

I live in Hawkes Bay and could travel to any track for some fun

LD

Post by LD » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:48 pm

Greensheep wrote:Very interesting
Your 2nd and 3rd run are very close, nice and consistant
I wonder what the differences were between the 2nd and 5th run as you managed 3.5 miles an hour fast on the 5 th run but were slower by time, maybe wheel spin/tyre grip or short gear changing or changing at higher rpm
What fuel were you running ?
What tyre pressure did you run?
Do you have sticky tires or road tires
More Horse power is always good till you start breaking things, how much weight can you remove, spare wheel etc, with out stripping the car of course? Do your runs with less than a quarter of a tank of fuel, a full tank equals weight, You might be surprized how much quicker the car is with the weight gone,
This stuff is really fun as the little things make a relatively big difference eg tire pressure can make you or break you regardless of the horse power
The trick is to constantly improve your personal best and get the most out of what you drive :D
I start with 1/4 tank of BP98.

The tire pressure was 37 on all wheels. My wheel setting is 265/35R18 R and 245/40R18 F - all on Toyo Prx T1R.

Not really sure if I have got most out of what I am driving or not but based on the sheet my results seems stable.

LD

Post by LD » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:49 pm

07pearl wrote:How do I get a go at Meremere? I would like to take mine to it's limits somewhere...

I live in Hawkes Bay and could travel to any track for some fun
The are lots of events there mate. Check out their website for more information. Also, it will cost you $15 for entry. If you enter to do drag race, an extra $30 will need to be paid.

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:34 am

Come along to Track day in Feb.
Bernie Kant
Club President

zfetsh

Post by zfetsh » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:53 pm

How serious are you about improving your times, and how much are you willing to spend :lol:

How much wheel spin are you getting - the first 60ft has an impact on your 1/4 mile time, in that time improvements here are said to double your improvements at the finish.

LD

Post by LD » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:38 pm

zfetsh wrote:How serious are you about improving your times, and how much are you willing to spend :lol:

How much wheel spin are you getting - the first 60ft has an impact on your 1/4 mile time, in that time improvements here are said to double your improvements at the finish.
I think I get wheel spin all the times. What is the best way to avoid it?

Also, I want to bring it close to 12.5 sec. Thinking about spending 3k. To improve the drag result, all I can think about it to put more HP into it. Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks

Baker93
Z Club Member

Post by Baker93 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:38 pm

Ok.
Im not a dedicated drag racer but its fair to say im pretty interested in getting decent starts and have tried getting decent starts in one or three cars.
The easiest and cheapest stuff to start.

Immediately the most obvious things to do with any car is to loose weight and in a 350 you need to loose a shed load. This is generally the cheapest way to increased performance all round.
Then try lowering your tire pressures to around 31 PSI Hot.
Obviously get the tires hot.
Run a softer compound tire.
Optimise the cold air intake on the car. Have a read of some technical articles on heat versus air density you will be surprised.
Practice.

The next stuff starts to cost more money.
Softer rear suspension to help promote weight transfer.
Shorter diff ratio. This will make a big difference. Greater torque multiplication Blah blah.
Decent diff. LSD, Locker, Helical something.
Longer first gear, closer intermediate gear ratios. Or as an out there suggestion if the 350 driveline will cope with it try starting in 2nd gear if you have installed a shorter diff. If you break stuff it wasnt strong enough to start with. As an indication of the length of first gear ratio my circuit car uses a 2.7 first gear and this is by no means considered tall but is a good compromise.
More Power. Always helps. Just optimise the breathing. Anything other than that you will have to crack the motor.

Lots of money ?
Sequential gearbox.
Big motor builds.
Forced induction

I think you may be asking a lot to get an NA road going 350 into the 12s but hey someones gotta do it.
Good luck.