The infamous 350z 1st-2nd gear shift clunk

350Z
bassybeats

The infamous 350z 1st-2nd gear shift clunk

Post by bassybeats » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:35 pm

Hey Guys,

hoping someone in NZ might have an idea how to sort this out. So after a bit of reading on other forums it seems common that the 1st - 2nd shift can be notchy. I have replaced the fluid with genuine Nissan oil + Molyslip and it has had little change.

Is this really a normal thing and is there anything else I could do to help it shift nicer..?

Its a 2005 Grand touring model with 85K on the clock.

Cheers

netrover

Post by netrover » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:49 am

Mine only seems to have a problem when cold when the engine is revving a little higher than normal and the synchro doesn't do its thing. Once warmed up it isn't a problem.

bassybeats wrote:Hey Guys,

hoping someone in NZ might have an idea how to sort this out. So after a bit of reading on other forums it seems common that the 1st - 2nd shift can be notchy. I have replaced the fluid with genuine Nissan oil + Molyslip and it has had little change.

Is this really a normal thing and is there anything else I could do to help it shift nicer..?

Its a 2005 Grand touring model with 85K on the clock.

Cheers
35th Anniversary Ultra Yellow 350Z

HasMilk

Post by HasMilk » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:11 pm

I find it to be almost completely random. Warm or cold, some mornings not others or just more notchy depending on the day.
I have to carress my Z on the daily due to bad synchros but having driven the car for 6 months now I'm used to it, and I got over the notchy-ness a while ago. Though I'm yet to do a gearbox fluid change..
In a long distance relationship with my 260z

bassybeats

Post by bassybeats » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:58 pm

Well, im glad its not just me. It's better after a week of new oil + moyslip. Much less audible clunk and just notchy now when cold or low rpm shifting. Rang a gearbox place as well and he said its fine and i'm not damaging anything which is good to know.

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:09 am

Glad to hear you have a solution. We have a 2004 Manuel Soft top and it has done 90,000 k and still shifts nicely, but we don't drive it hard so I guess that makes a big difference. Is just a Sunday car. so we don't do a lot of k's. But really love it when we take it out. Even soft pedaling the power is fantastic. is my wife's car we have a toy each. When I first got the 260Z it used to jump out of gear, changed the oil and solved the problem. Completely changed the gearbox. Now running a Sylivia box, even better.
Bernie Kant
Club President