350Z
LD

Improve Handling

Post by LD » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:14 am

Hi there,

I am still in process to improve handling on my 350Z. So far I got:
1. Tyres: Toyo 245 40 18 PRX-T1R
2. Coilovers: Nismo

In terms of improving handling, what else should I get and why. I am thinking about:
1. Hotchkis front and rear sway bars
2. Tanabe Front Strut Bar Brace
3. Springs (I am not really sure what springs will be the best option for Nismo coilovers)

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks.

85_z31

Post by 85_z31 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:32 pm

I'm of no experience on such a new Z

But two biggest handling upgrades i ever did were Corrected Roll center to account for vehicle lowering and a proper clutch limited slip diff.

Chances are the springs are already well matched to the chassis by Nismo, and a strut brace might not make much difference for the money spent.

Deciding to do sway bars or not can be a tricky thing, sometimes alignment and tire pressures can do just as much help to trim a car to do what you need.
1985 Z31 Slicktop Turbo

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:44 pm

Not mentioned, but brakes, brakes, brakes. Better than stock, vented rotors, pad and good brake fluid, and you'll see what I mean. :wink: Have a chat to the guys at Race Brakes. http://www.racebrakes.co.nz/
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

LD

Post by LD » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:11 pm

BRONZEE wrote:Not mentioned, but brakes, brakes, brakes. Better than stock, vented rotors, pad and good brake fluid, and you'll see what I mean. :wink: Have a chat to the guys at Race Brakes. http://www.racebrakes.co.nz/
Lots of people also mention about brakes? May I ask why? Because to my understand, brakes only help when you slow down your car, so how can it related to handling? I mean if you need to slow down before making turns, I assume that stock brakes should be fine?

Karljsw

Post by Karljsw » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:30 pm

brakes because if you want to go fast you need to be able to stop :)

ZILVER

Post by ZILVER » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:14 pm

Could say Race cars steer with their brakes.
Street cars "handling" is not necessarily about coil overs or roll bars if ride quality is a concern. If stock brakes are deemed fine then you've degraded the overall ride and handling with coil overs and larger roll bars which won't even factor their handling potential for that trip to the dairy.
Dense Bushes, lowering/adj control arms /solid mounts and weight reduction / traction control / 2 way differential / unsprung wright (wheels/size) are also other handling factored nuances that may shave milli seconds off your trips but can potentially destroy the comforts of a street/daily car and subsequently warrent need of a 2nd Z for date nights.
That said Ill definately agree that a reputable Big Brake kit and lite weight wheels are a good early upgrade for both street and track 350z (particulary if not equipped with factory Brembos)

LD

Post by LD » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:47 am

ZILVER wrote:Could say Race cars steer with their brakes.
Street cars "handling" is not necessarily about coil overs or roll bars if ride quality is a concern. If stock brakes are deemed fine then you've degraded the overall ride and handling with coil overs and larger roll bars which won't even factor their handling potential for that trip to the dairy.
Dense Bushes, lowering/adj control arms /solid mounts and weight reduction / traction control / 2 way differential / unsprung wright (wheels/size) are also other handling factored nuances that may shave milli seconds off your trips but can potentially destroy the comforts of a street/daily car and subsequently warrent need of a 2nd Z for date nights.
That said Ill definately agree that a reputable Big Brake kit and lite weight wheels are a good early upgrade for both street and track 350z (particulary if not equipped with factory Brembos)
Thanks for your information.

Also, do you think square setup of 245 40R18 is good on the Z? Since it is RWD, should I go bigger in the back than the front?

Cheers,

ZILVER

Post by ZILVER » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:51 am

Rear tyre width helps with traction, and 225/45/18 FR 245/45/18 RR is the norm from memory.
The 350z front to rear bias is likely ideal - IF you go even larger/wider rear tires than front the front tires lose traction first / confuse sensors whatever and likely cause adverse understeer.

Luxo

Post by Luxo » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:39 am

I didn't realize Nismo made coilovers, thought they just made a stiffer spring/shock setup. So far I've upgraded to coilovers, Work D9r 18x10.5 square wheel setup with 265/35F 285/35R, Voodoo rear camber arms and rear toe arms. Having the wide Tyre setup has made a big difference and to complement it I'm rebuilding the diff with an aftermarket LSD as our VLSD is rubbish, I'll replace my diff bushings while Im at it.

+1 for brakes! I currently have the factory brembos but my last Z had a brembo GT 6pot big brake kit with two piece slotted and vented rotors (should NOT have sold that) but it made an INCREDIBLE difference to the overall feel of the car and confidence behind the wheel.
2005 350Z ST money pit.

LD

Post by LD » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:42 am

I just upgraded my brake system today. Going to try it out in the next few days and see how different it is comparing with stock. I have heard lots of people talking about brakes again and again but will see how it actually affect. ;)

My setup for brake so far is as below:

Front brake pads: Ferodo DS2400
Rear brake pads: EBC Yellowstuff
Front rotors: DBA 4000 T3 Clubspec
Rear rotors: DBA T2 4x4 Survival
Brake fluid: AP Racing x2

The car is 350Z non-brembo 2004.

Luxo

Post by Luxo » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:01 pm

Nice, you should feel a decent difference! Though I'd hate to be Captain hindsight and mention there's a full 350Z Brembo kit on trademe.
2005 350Z ST money pit.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:05 pm

LD wrote:I just upgraded my brake system today. Going to try it out in the next few days and see how different it is comparing with stock. I have heard lots of people talking about brakes again and again but will see how it actually affect. ;)

My setup for brake so far is as below:

Front brake pads: Ferodo DS2400
Rear brake pads: EBC Yellowstuff
Front rotors: DBA 4000 T3 Clubspec
Rear rotors: DBA T2 4x4 Survival
Brake fluid: AP Racing x2

The car is 350Z non-brembo 2004.
I'd be surprised if you don't notice a difference once everything is bedded in. :wink: :twisted:
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

LD

Post by LD » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:25 am

Luxo wrote:Nice, you should feel a decent difference! Though I'd hate to be Captain hindsight and mention there's a full 350Z Brembo kit on trademe.
I thought it is only for the track edition since the disk is bigger than mine?

OMSIN

Post by OMSIN » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:09 pm

I’m just going to revive an old thread just because I’m bored and to help those who stumble along it asking the same question:

Short answer:

Polyurethane bushes / mounts, the rubber mounts were made with comfort in mind. Do the differential bushing and then the subframe with “collarsâ€￾ and you’ll notice a huge difference in suspension / chassis flex under heavy acceleration and cornering.

Go for a staggered wheel setup, I had 9.5 and 10.5inch rims, the large 275 tyres in the back kept the ass in line when putting the power down transistioning through corners, try doing that with factory mags and you’ll end up drifting. I wouldn’t touch the factory suspension (shocks / springs) if you have the track model or atleast a lot of money to do it right, some aftermarket kits a rubbish and can’t be set up properly and also require supporting mods such as adjustable camber arms / toe arms - at this point stiffer suspension will put a strain on your stock rubber mounts, bushes etc so keep that in mind and upgrade all those as well.