350z 2003 Auto

350Z
Charlyb

350z 2003 Auto

Post by Charlyb » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:47 pm

Hi,
New to this forum!
Car (350z 2003 Auto) makes constant humming noise when driving- is this normal?
Car has no alignment issues/ no wheel play/ diff oil topped up and no uneven tire wear. The humming noise and cabin noise makes it a very annoying experince when going for a long drive. Mechcanic said its normal 350z cabin noise. Is this true? Thank you, Charly

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:06 am

Have a 2004 convertible doesn't make any annoying noises when driving. No idea what it is find a mechanic that is more proactive.
Bernie Kant
Club President

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:33 am

Charlyb wrote:Hi,
New to this forum!
Car (350z 2003 Auto) makes constant humming noise when driving- is this normal?
Car has no alignment issues/ no wheel play/ diff oil topped up and no uneven tire wear. The humming noise and cabin noise makes it a very annoying experience when going for a long drive. Mechcanic said its normal 350z cabin noise. Is this true? Thank you, Charly
Welcome to the forum Charly.

Very difficult to pin down a noise, when you haven't heard it in person. But no it's not normal to have a humming noise in the cabin in a hard top. Is it a very high pitched noise, like a fuel pump? How loud is the noise? Or is more a deeper harmonic type of noise? Is it only when on long drives, or is the noise there constantly?
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

Buster

Post by Buster » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:24 am

You do hear a lot of road noise travelling in a 350z, particularly from the rear wheels.
It's quite dependent on road surface (i.e. changes as you go from one road surface type to another) and also the tires fitted.

Charlyb

Post by Charlyb » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:05 pm

Hi all,
Nissan dealer and a mobile mechcanic both said diff replacement required or possible wheel bearing if lucky. They said it usually last the life time of the car (rear diff) and rare for 2003 to have this problem but the sound droning/humming sound is from diff. They said expect a hefty price for part alone... how unlucky am I!!!!

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:59 pm

I would buy a secondhand part if that is the problem. Diff cab easily be opened and checked if it is okay.
Bernie Kant
Club President

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:59 pm

I just had a similar sounding noise repaired in my Honda Accord by replacing a rear wheel bearing. Wheel had no play in it and felt fine to me but my mechanic said if you compared the noise from one side to the other when spinning the wheel then there was a difference. Bit hard to spin a wheel in a rear wheel drive car but in my case the noise was there when the car was rolling both in neutral and in gear. May be a way to help eliminate the possible issues.

Charlyb

Post by Charlyb » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:32 pm

Thank you all,
Yes second hand would be the way to go $695 plus g.s.t and labour is 4 hours. Getting the car inspected on hoist this week to have another look just incase its not a wheel bearing problem (will let you know after Wednesday!)

Charly

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:17 pm

Charlyb wrote:Hi all,
Nissan dealer and a mobile mechcanic both said diff replacement required or possible wheel bearing if lucky. They said it usually last the life time of the car (rear diff) and rare for 2003 to have this problem but the sound droning/humming sound is from diff. They said expect a hefty price for part alone... how unlucky am I!!!!
Hi Charly,
Firstly how many kms does your 350 have on the clock???? Wheel bearings isn't an unusual problem, but needed a diff replacement would be more unusual. What are the fluids like in the diff?
There is another problem that 350's can have in that area'ish that you're talking about. Only a few of us globally that have had their original models since new figured it out, after much high qualified mechanical assessments.

Once again impossible to know without hearing it, or being in the car to give you any accurate response.
Next - Z Club events:

Charlyb

Post by Charlyb » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:54 pm

Hi Bronzee,
My car has done 118,000km only and in immaculate condition. Full service history since imported and only third owner.
Car will go on hoist to inspect diff and wheel beaing close up to determine what is causing the roar sound when accelerating (droning noise coming from rear) but no wheel play for sure. Will let you know on Wednesday. Also see you guys at the 350z meeting for December!

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:46 pm

Charlyb wrote:Hi Bronzee,
My car has done 118,000km only and in immaculate condition. Full service history since imported and only third owner.
Car will go on hoist to inspect diff and wheel beaing close up to determine what is causing the roar sound when accelerating (droning noise coming from rear) but no wheel play for sure. Will let you know on Wednesday. Also see you guys at the 350z meeting for December!
Good luck for Wednesday.
Look forward to meeting you and seeing that Zeddy at the Xmas meet. 8)
Next - Z Club events:

Charlyb

Post by Charlyb » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:18 pm

Hi guys,
Car was hoisted and inspected for a diff problem. Total cost is $850 for part (couriered from Hamilton from nissan king parts) and labour $300.

Charly

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:47 pm

That's a nice big bill. On the upside it should be sorted once this is done. 8)
Next - Z Club events:

Charlyb

Post by Charlyb » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:04 pm

Worst day of my life.....

Diff is not the problem as sound did not go away... it was left rear wheel hub bearing assembly which requires replacement....

Sigh...

kirihi
Z Club Member

Post by kirihi » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:26 pm

If that was the worst day of your life... then you're doing OK! ;-)
2007 (HR) Magnetic Black 350Z Enthusiast