Carbon fibre/custom bonnet

350Z
avi_z33

Carbon fibre/custom bonnet

Post by avi_z33 » Wed May 13, 2015 9:12 am

Hey guys. I'm looking to get a nice bonnet for my Z. The cheapest iv found is a seibon carbon fibre one from the states which is 1.6k shipped plus customs charges.

Also asked around for a custom fibre glass made for me which would cost me 2k plus gst.

Just wondering if there are other cheaper options?

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Wed May 13, 2015 9:49 pm

Save weight and keep the stock bonnet, as the aluminium is lighter than CF. :wink: Good luck with whatever you choose. 8)
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Thu May 14, 2015 7:15 pm

Also have a look at Concept Performance in the US, Zilver does group buys and you may pick up a good deal from there.

https://conceptzperformance.com/
Next - Z Club events:

mikec(nz)
Z Club Member

Post by mikec(nz) » Thu May 14, 2015 9:12 pm

as the aluminium is lighter than CF. Wink
This is only the case with the cheap ones, as they use a fibreglass frame with CF over the top.

I bought one from Mission from Japan for my 300ZX fitted perfectly and was very light and was totally carbon. Other fibreglass ones I have bought have been disappointing. You really get what you pay for in this market.

If you don't care about weight then just use CF wrap on the existing bonnet it will look better than a cheap one. If you want to get the weight savings you will probably need to get ex Japan. Maybe the Z33 market is better in the USA, but I doubt it.

Gunmetal Z

Post by Gunmetal Z » Thu May 14, 2015 10:10 pm

Dry carbons still only 1 or 2lb lighter then stock though
35th Anniversary Grey 350z - Motordyne TDX2 Shockwave exhaust , JWT popcharger, MREV2 plenum , 5/16 plenum spacer , MD ART pipes, UR Crank pulley, CE28 volk racing wheels

avi_z33

Post by avi_z33 » Sun May 17, 2015 10:15 am

I was thinking of getting a seibon carbon fibre one. They look nice and is a good brand.

NISMO33

Post by NISMO33 » Sun May 17, 2015 10:58 am

I'd like to have the real stuff too when it comes to Carbon Fibre parts.

But realistically, unless you have the $$ to spend or if weaight really does matter (for racing purposes) I don't think it would make much difference on the road in normal daily driving conditions or even spirited drives.

I think you'd probably have to swap out a lot of parts on the car to CF for it all to take effect and notice any difference, but I don't have any of those on my car nore have I had any weight reducing parts experience before so I could be wrong.

Personally, I'd probably wrap it in a good quality CF vinyl (hood, roof etc.) as I only ever do daily driving and the ocassional Sunday coromandel runs. Unless you are after those vented hood designs for cooling purposes?

avi_z33

Post by avi_z33 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:14 am

After 12 weeks my genuine CF bonnet arrived. Fair to say i get alot more attention on my sunday drives now 8)
Attachments
n1.jpg
n1.jpg (1.22 MiB) Viewed 6846 times
n2.jpg
n2.jpg (1.32 MiB) Viewed 6846 times

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:56 am

Apt plate with the new shiny bonnet. 8) Black and Le Mans Sunset is always such a good combination.
Next - Z Club events:

NISMO33

Post by NISMO33 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:20 pm

Hey that actually looks good, how is it with rain? with the vents pointing downwards, does water seep in through and onto the engine/bay? and what about washing your car?

Is that a TOP SECRET rear diffuser I see in the back? - Where did you get it from?

I see you've also lowered the car a bit more? or has it always been like that.

avi_z33

Post by avi_z33 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:23 pm

NISMO33 wrote:Hey that actually looks good, how is it with rain? with the vents pointing downwards, does water seep in through and onto the engine/bay? and what about washing your car?

Is that a TOP SECRET rear diffuser I see in the back? - Where did you get it from?

I see you've also lowered the car a bit more? or has it always been like that.
You have an eye for detail ;)

The bonnet came with some plastic bits underneath that you can put on to cover the vents for when you wash it. I only plan to take them off when i go to the track.

Yes it is a top secret diffuser at the back. Sadly couldnt find a carbon fibre one :( I got it off this guy who imports parts from the UK. There is a silver 350z in Wellington who also has the same diffuser so I asked him and he gave me his number. Iv attached a pic of the rear down below!

I have lowered it more, and its a pain to drive around Wellington sometimes!! Might put it back up.

Im looking for a black lip/skirt to run along the bottom on both sides of the car next.
Attachments
rear_z.jpg
rear_z.jpg (96.94 KiB) Viewed 6802 times

NISMO33

Post by NISMO33 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:12 pm

avi_z33 wrote:You have an eye for detail ;)

The bonnet came with some plastic bits underneath that you can put on to cover the vents for when you wash it. I only plan to take them off when i go to the track.

Yes it is a top secret diffuser at the back. Sadly couldnt find a carbon fibre one :( I got it off this guy who imports parts from the UK. There is a silver 350z in Wellington who also has the same diffuser so I asked him and he gave me his number. Iv attached a pic of the rear down below!

I have lowered it more, and its a pain to drive around Wellington sometimes!! Might put it back up.

Im looking for a black lip/skirt to run along the bottom on both sides of the car next.
Yea, I'm looking for a carbon fiber one, perhaps Ebay would be a good place to look for the skirts/sides? I've seen some when I browse on there.

Oh and also, what happened to the lining on the rubber mold on your drivers side window? - it's killing me seeing it protruding like that lol :roll:

avi_z33

Post by avi_z33 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:20 pm

NISMO33 wrote:
avi_z33 wrote:You have an eye for detail ;)

Yea, I'm looking for a carbon fiber one, perhaps Ebay would be a good place to look for the skirts/sides? I've seen some when I browse on there.

Oh and also, what happened to the lining on the rubber mold on your drivers side window? - it's killing me seeing it protruding like that lol :roll:
Yea iv been looking on there, might commit to something soon.

Thats been like that since an attempted break-in last year :( Clips in, but pops back out every now and then. Should be an easy fix with some double sided tape, just haven't got around to it.