Intake / Exhaust mods

350Z
netrover

Intake / Exhaust mods

Post by netrover » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:49 pm

After the recent North Canterbury cruise, and being smitten with Kirihi's Z33 exhaust note, I did a bit of research on exhausts.

There a re quite a few to choose from, and the Motordyne Shockwave seems to receive good reports. While Youtube is not renowned for accurate sound reproduction, the Shockwave does sound quite loud. If I go down that path, what can I expect regarding:

1. WOF time
2. Insurance

Don't want to go to all that expense (looks like about $2K plus GST) only to find it exceeds noise limits and gets stickered! Will my insurance premiums go up with an aftermarket exhaust?

Has anyone installed the Shockwave?

So while I contemplate exhausts, I think I will definitely get the Motordyne 5/16 plenum spacer. For this to be effective on the revup engine, I will also need to install the Motordyne manifold. This all fits under the existing strut bar with no further modification. This mod translates into about 15HP and 18TQ at higher revs.

Has anyone done this mod on their Z33?
35th Anniversary Ultra Yellow 350Z

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:01 pm

netrover wrote:After the recent North Canterbury cruise, and being smitten with Kirihi's Z33 exhaust note, I did a bit of research on exhausts.

There a re quite a few to choose from, and the Motordyne Shockwave seems to receive good reports. While Youtube is not renowned for accurate sound reproduction, the Shockwave does sound quite loud. If I go down that path, what can I expect regarding:

1. WOF time
2. Insurance

Don't want to go to all that expense (looks like about $2K plus GST) only to find it exceeds noise limits and gets stickered! Will my insurance premiums go up with an aftermarket exhaust?

Has anyone installed the Shockwave?

So while I contemplate exhausts, I think I will definitely get the Motordyne 5/16 plenum spacer. For this to be effective on the revup engine, I will also need to install the Motordyne manifold. This all fits under the existing strut bar with no further modification. This mod translates into about 15HP and 18TQ at higher revs.

Has anyone done this mod on their Z33?
With regards to insurance it usually depends who you're with as to how flexible they are. You should declare mods irrespective though, .......... old adage...... insurance company use any excuse to get out of paying. :wink: You should ask you insurance company before you leap in.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

OMSIN

Post by OMSIN » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:08 pm

The bit that really opens up the exhaust is when you install cat delete down pipes. I previously had a Kakimoto cat back exhaust system which wasn't too load. I have now installed AAM cat delete and and Y pipe, this had made it LOUD when the car starts to open up at 3.5 / 4k RPM. I don't think I'll get a WOF unless I put a resonator in.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:35 pm

Don't forget to factor the cost of a Cert.
Next - Z Club events:

Buster

Post by Buster » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:03 pm

BRONZEE wrote:Don't forget to factor the cost of a Cert.
And a tune.

netrover

Post by netrover » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:33 pm

BRONZEE wrote:Don't forget to factor the cost of a Cert.
Is it only the exhaust that needs certification, or will the plenum spacer and MREV 2 also need certification?

OMSIN

Post by OMSIN » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:58 pm

exhaust doesn't need cert, only reason to cert would be to say its within the legal limits and can't be failed by an inspector who thinks it may be too loud.

Boy racer law change several years ago meant that exhausts didn't have to be proven to be too loud to be failed, it was up to the wof inspector to use personal judgement? correct me if i'm wrong??

netrover

Post by netrover » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:51 pm

After a bit more looking around I think I will go with the Nismo exhaust early in the new year.

Is there a Nismo website to order this from - couldn't seem to find one!

Or is there a NZ based supplier with competitive pricing to importing (and then paying GST on entry!!)

Fung

Post by Fung » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:06 pm

Hey, have a look at
http://www.vividracing.co.nz/search.php ... 565&y=-141

They seem to have quite a lot 350z perfomance parts- not sure if you will have to pay gst when it arrives here.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:48 am

netrover wrote:After a bit more looking around I think I will go with the Nismo exhaust early in the new year.

Is there a Nismo website to order this from - couldn't seem to find one!
They're not cheap, but the Nismo exhaust sounds fantastic! Will flick you a pm. 8)
Next - Z Club events:

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:35 am

Would you need certification for exhaust mods, Just call one of the engineer guys and check. Maybe you call City Nissan see if they need certs for the Stillen systems, they have fitted a few of them.
Bernie Kant
Club President

AndyR1

Post by AndyR1 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:23 am

bernjean wrote:Would you need certification for exhaust mods, Just call one of the engineer guys and check. Maybe you call City Nissan see if they need certs for the Stillen systems, they have fitted a few of them.
You don't need any cert for exhausts or intakes. I have Stillen dual cat back exhaust and air intake kit which both don't require cert according to Neil Fraser, who is doing cert for Stillen SC as well for City Nissan.

maukuzed

Post by maukuzed » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:27 pm

Yip , certification ... just another rip off ! if you ask me

Brock365

Post by Brock365 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:55 pm

Sounds great, much louder than standard V35 exhausts. Previous owner did it before it came into NZ though
Owner of a Nissan 280ZX, a Toyota WiLL VS (yes its spelt with capital Ls) for the missus and a 2005 Nissan Skyline 3.5 litre manual sedan

netrover

Post by netrover » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:07 pm

Plenum spacer and upper plenum for the revup engine now ordered and on their way!