Intake / Exhaust mods

350Z
bluefish

Post by bluefish » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:42 pm

I recently had an ARK GRiP V2 True Dual Cat-back exhaust fitted to my 370Z (imported from CZP c/- the awesome ZILVER). Although I can't speak for the same exhaust on a 350Z, I can say that it has made a WORLD of difference on my car. It's like having an altogether totally different car! The sound is intoxicating (I'm totally addicted to that noise!). There is zero drone when cruising and the tone is deep and rich. And it screams when pushed past 4k. Plus it totally looks the part as well (see attached photo).

My main reason for upgrading the exhaust was for the sound (the 370Z stock exhaust is pathetically quiet). And I did heaps of research before I decided upon the ARK. I looked into the Stillen but the main thing I didn't like about this exhaust system was the look of the tips (IMHO they stick out too much and look too "flat").

With regards to HP/Torque increases, I can't tell for sure if there has been any but I can say that everything just seems to work better (smoother revs, nicer top end, less vibration etc).

See original post here.
Attachments
IMG_1913.jpg
IMG_1913.jpg (270.18 KiB) Viewed 14949 times
Last edited by bluefish on Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LethalDuck

Post by LethalDuck » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:43 pm

Any tips on how to do this a bit cheaper then and acheive similar results?
So would the heat from those headers (being porcelain coated) be an issue in the engine bay?
So test pipes replace the catalytic converters right?

"most test pipes have a spot for the oxygen sensors to connect to so you won't get a CEL."
Pardon my ignorance. What's a CEL?
Looking at the combination I mentioned above, I don't think test pipes fit in that mix right? It's just the exhaust and header pipes?
In which case, what would I do with the cat wires?

"True dual exhausts will suit Turbo more than N/A has they are very free flowing, so you could go with them. Most aftermarket and stock exhausts are fake dual exhausts as they merge into one after the cats and then split out of the factory style tip."
Exactly, which is why I want to ditch the Fujitsubo FJ-190-15468 Legalis-R Exhaust. Plus I need headers for a free'er flow, plus it's far to quiet. Clients never know when I turn up.

OMSIN

Post by OMSIN » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:16 pm

headers produce heat whether they are aftermarket or stock, its just that there is a heat shield over the stock ones.I doubt you will have an issues either way.

CEL stands for Check Engine Light.

Test pipes are a straight through section of pipe that fit in where the catalytic converters go.

Headers, test pipe, Y-pipe, mid pipe, tips.

Long tube headers, Y-pipe, mid pipe, tips.

Headers are already on the car, and are just fine in stock form in this case. If you go turbo you will need a new set. If you want to spend $1000 and get at most, 10 hp with short headers that's ok, or $1200 + for long tube and get maybe 15-20hp. Fitting them will be several hundred $$ itself.

Gunmetal Z

Post by Gunmetal Z » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:58 am

^ + shipping and customs..
35th Anniversary Grey 350z - Motordyne TDX2 Shockwave exhaust , JWT popcharger, MREV2 plenum , 5/16 plenum spacer , MD ART pipes, UR Crank pulley, CE28 volk racing wheels

Buster

Post by Buster » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:18 pm

DE headers (1.65" dia) compared to the those on the HR/VHR (2.2" dia). Nissan took quite a different approach on the HR/VHR engines.

OMSIN

Post by OMSIN » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:48 am

That would be the case due to the increased rev limit on the HR- VHR. They also changed a lot of the internal engine components and then suspension etc, totally different car

LethalDuck

Post by LethalDuck » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:36 pm

LethalDuck wrote:Any tips on how to do this a bit cheaper then and acheive similar results?
So would the heat from those headers (being porcelain coated) be an issue in the engine bay?
So test pipes replace the catalytic converters right?

"most test pipes have a spot for the oxygen sensors to connect to so you won't get a CEL."
Pardon my ignorance. What's a CEL?
Looking at the combination I mentioned above, I don't think test pipes fit in that mix right? It's just the exhaust and header pipes?
In which case, what would I do with the cat wires?

"True dual exhausts will suit Turbo more than N/A has they are very free flowing, so you could go with them. Most aftermarket and stock exhausts are fake dual exhausts as they merge into one after the cats and then split out of the factory style tip."
Exactly, which is why I want to ditch the Fujitsubo FJ-190-15468 Legalis-R Exhaust. Plus I need headers for a free'er flow, plus it's far to quiet. Clients never know when I turn up.
Went with the AAM Competition 3". So now I have a Fujitsubo FJ-190-15468 Legalis-R up for sale. If anyone's interested let me know.
The AAM produces about the same noise level at idle but with a much nicer tone. Under acceleration it's a lot louder though and sounds like a 6 should. Feels like it's got a bit more torque noticeable at revs below aprx 3500.

harlequin2

Post by harlequin2 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:49 pm

I have a 2006 Z with the 221 kw engine and I am wondering what mods would give a worthwhile power increase. I read that Nissan modified the intake plenum to give the extra power and so the plenum spacer is no longer a worthwhile mod. I also read somewhere that they improved the exhaust header too, so not worth changing this either. But the rest of the exhaust system could be a good upgrade. What's the best bang for the buck?
This, coupled with an ECU chip tune looks like about the extent of engine mods.
The next upgrade for a significant jump in output seems to be adding a hairdryer! I'd appreciate some info from anyone who has done that too.
I have seen mention of a swaybar upgrade and I wonder if anyone can provide some details?
My car has Brembo brakes, so probably nothing to do there, but any other advice greatly apprciated.
(I have spent a lot of time searching the various Z clubs and other forums and I'm now just a bit uncertain!)

Gunmetal Z

Post by Gunmetal Z » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:19 pm

Are you sure you have searched the other 350z forums?? If you have a 2006 350z you will have the revup engine and the biggest bang for but would be an mrev2 lower plenum coupled with a 5/16th spacer then probably cat replacement pipes such as art pipes or HFCs if you need to research more just go on my350z.com any question you can think of will have already been answered you just need to search for it,
35th Anniversary Grey 350z - Motordyne TDX2 Shockwave exhaust , JWT popcharger, MREV2 plenum , 5/16 plenum spacer , MD ART pipes, UR Crank pulley, CE28 volk racing wheels

Buster

Post by Buster » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:49 pm

I really like this guys work.

934 WHP mid mount

And this

Twin scroll for 370z

These are for left hand drive but something similar for RHD could be good.
He does them for z34s too.
Search some of his other threads. A good read for the turbo inclined.

harlequin2

Post by harlequin2 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:36 pm

Gunmetal Z wrote:Are you sure you have searched the other 350z forums?? If you have a 2006 350z you will have the revup engine and the biggest bang for but would be an mrev2 lower plenum coupled with a 5/16th spacer then probably cat replacement pipes such as art pipes or HFCs if you need to research more just go on my350z.com any question you can think of will have already been answered you just need to search for it,
Yes, it was on the Oz (350 Z Tech) one that I read the plenum spacer does nothing for this engine, but I haven't found anyone who did a "before and after" comparison - which is what I'd really like to see. Even some G-Tech results would be good! As for the exhaust, there seems to be as many brands as there are people interested in them and as many different opinions. Again, I'd like to find some "before and after" measurements, but they seem few and far between. There is a lot of subjective stuff though.

Edit: I've just been reading about the MRev2 lower plenum and it does seem to be the goods! Thanks for that.
Last edited by harlequin2 on Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

harlequin2

Post by harlequin2 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:46 pm

Buster wrote:I really like this guys work.

934 WHP mid mount

And this

Twin scroll for 370z

These are for left hand drive but something similar for RHD could be good.
He does them for z34s too.
Search some of his other threads. A good read for the turbo inclined.
Thanks, some interesting stuff on there. I think 934 hp is just a bit more than I am wanting! I'd quite like to be able to get down to a sub-5.5 sec 0-100 time.

DanialZ

Post by DanialZ » Fri May 06, 2016 11:21 am

bluefish wrote:I recently had an ARK GRiP V2 True Dual Cat-back exhaust fitted to my 370Z (imported from CZP c/- the awesome ZILVER). Although I can't speak for the same exhaust on a 350Z, I can say that it has made a WORLD of difference on my car. It's like having an altogether totally different car! The sound is intoxicating (I'm totally addicted to that noise!). There is zero drone when cruising and the tone is deep and rich. And it screams when pushed past 4k. Plus it totally looks the part as well (see attached photo).

My main reason for upgrading the exhaust was for the sound (the 370Z stock exhaust is pathetically quiet). And I did heaps of research before I decided upon the ARK. I looked into the Stillen but the main thing I didn't like about this exhaust system was the look of the tips (IMHO they stick out too much and look too "flat").

With regards to HP/Torque increases, I can't tell for sure if there has been any but I can say that everything just seems to work better (smoother revs, nicer top end, less vibration etc).

See original post here.
How much was it? I cant find anyone selling in NZ :/

bluefish

Post by bluefish » Fri May 06, 2016 12:23 pm

DanialZ wrote:How much was it? I cant find anyone selling in NZ :/
I didn't buy it in NZ. It was purchased from here.

It all came in around $2,600 (NZD) once I paid for shipping/customs fees and installation etc.

J

Luxo

Post by Luxo » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:51 am

Finally changing up the exhaust on my latest 350. Here's some Motordyne artwork for you. Installed Bert de-cats last weekend but as I expected it made my Fujitsubo very raspy between 3k-4k which I can't stand. Luckily I'd already purchased this from the states. If it doesn't get rid of all the rasp I might delete the Fujitsubo rear muffler and do a custom 3" bumper exit and weld in another resonator.. We'll see.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (230.49 KiB) Viewed 14719 times
2005 350Z ST money pit.