Intake / Exhaust mods

350Z
netrover

Post by netrover » Fri May 09, 2014 2:14 pm

Luxo wrote:My Impul system is up for sale..

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =723289206
Just met your Impul exhaust!

It was on a lovely 35th which John owns - sounded great when kicked into life.
35th Anniversary Ultra Yellow 350Z

Luxo

Post by Luxo » Fri May 09, 2014 3:34 pm

netrover wrote:
Luxo wrote:My Impul system is up for sale..

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =723289206
Just met your Impul exhaust!

It was on a lovely 35th which John owns - sounded great when kicked into life.
Glad to hear! It was a really nice system. I'm keen to see it on Johns car. My AAM arrived today so I'll be fitting it tomorrow :)
2005 350Z ST money pit.

OMSIN

Post by OMSIN » Fri May 09, 2014 6:09 pm

Don't forget to top up the blinker fluid when you change exhausts

Luxo

Post by Luxo » Fri May 09, 2014 7:35 pm

OMSIN wrote:Don't forget to top up the blinker fluid when you change exhausts
Exhaust fitted. Blinker fluid topped up

Sounds "the balls" aka loud, zero rasp :)
2005 350Z ST money pit.

Luxo

Post by Luxo » Sat May 10, 2014 7:07 pm

Video of my new exhaust. My Neighbourhood is gonna hate me :p

http://youtu.be/vXZMqwIkuq4
2005 350Z ST money pit.

chrismx5

Post by chrismx5 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:27 am

A bit late to the party here..

A bit of a noob to the VQ engine series, however, after researching, and looking at my own car, I see that there are a few small improvements that can/could be made to produce a little bit more unicorn power.

No, I'm not talking about vtecs.

The factory exhaust is (IMO) the best place to start for some nice gains, as Nissan built these cars at a production level, and wanted to keep the car cost down, they made the exhaust simple, so that replicating it time and time again was cost effective.

So essentially a V6 motor has two separate headers, one for each 3 cylinders. I noticed that on the Z, from factory the exhaust goes, headers, into a collector, into a single pipe, into a dual split muffler.

Good way to free up some unicorns, is a separate pipe per header, proper dual exhaust pipes.

Thoughts?

Luxo

Post by Luxo » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:12 pm

chrismx5 wrote:A bit late to the party here..

A bit of a noob to the VQ engine series, however, after researching, and looking at my own car, I see that there are a few small improvements that can/could be made to produce a little bit more unicorn power.

No, I'm not talking about vtecs.

The factory exhaust is (IMO) the best place to start for some nice gains, as Nissan built these cars at a production level, and wanted to keep the car cost down, they made the exhaust simple, so that replicating it time and time again was cost effective.

So essentially a V6 motor has two separate headers, one for each 3 cylinders. I noticed that on the Z, from factory the exhaust goes, headers, into a collector, into a single pipe, into a dual split muffler.

Good way to free up some unicorns, is a separate pipe per header, proper dual exhaust pipes.

Thoughts?
There's loads of threads about this on My350z forums, I'd say it doesn't get much more free flowing than my full 3in single setup but I've got no dyno results to prove it. If you're set on true dual systems then you can't look past Motordyne. Greddy and HKS also offer true dual systems among others.

If you're purely wanting HP then I'd suggest spending a few hours on MY350Z.com there's loads of results :)
2005 350Z ST money pit.

chrismx5

Post by chrismx5 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:26 pm

Yeah - I have been reading up a bit on there.

I'm actually researching general V6's as well as VQ results.

I was thinking of going 2 and 3/4 inch for the exhaust, keeping a bit of pressure in there, and mocking it up at home, and going from there.

But the exhaust is the least of my worries at the moment, going to replicate the Dual cold air intakes come next pay day, using some nice intercooler piping and dual HKS mushroom filters.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:09 pm

Also 350z-uk.com is also another really useful resource for information.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

LethalDuck

Post by LethalDuck » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:46 pm

Hi all, a few questions.
Are catalytic converters required by law on the z350's? Can you just remove them without dash lights comming on or any other negative affects?
I currently have a Fujitsubo FJ-190-15468 Legalis-R Exhaust.
It's far to quiet and I'd like to maximise the power I can get out of the engine, so I'm looking for recommendations on setups that have worked well for others.
I don't like droning exhausts, but then again they don't bother me too much, but I'm after something with a nice deep and loud tone.
Is there any issues in fitting headers and which ones should I be looking at?
If I can ditch the catalytic converters for straight through pips that would be good, can I legally do this? If so, what are peoples recommendations?
I'm thinking I'll probably need to go dual all the way through. Again what are your recommendations for a full system from heads to tips?
Stillen exhausts and headers seem to be rated highly. Any recommendations on full systems and other brands and models?

Thanks.

LethalDuck

Post by LethalDuck » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:56 pm

Looking at the "PPE 835001 350Z Long Tube Race Headers" possibly paired up with the "AAM Competition 3 in. MaxFlow True Dual Exhaust (Titanium)" at CZP. Legal? Would the heat from the headers melt stuff in the engine bay? By the look of it, with the long headers you don't have any catalytic pipes? Would this work?

Gunmetal Z

Post by Gunmetal Z » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:32 am

It would work but it would be loud, illegally loud but cops honestly don't look twice at our cars so it wouldn't be an issue as long as you find somewhere that would do the wof? But that set up would be really expensive especially including shipping customs and install probably like 5k+ so if it's for hp gains would suggest just s/c unless wanting to stay NA?
35th Anniversary Grey 350z - Motordyne TDX2 Shockwave exhaust , JWT popcharger, MREV2 plenum , 5/16 plenum spacer , MD ART pipes, UR Crank pulley, CE28 volk racing wheels

Karljsw

Post by Karljsw » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:42 am

In terms of finding a WOF place to get it legal it wont be hard.

Dad's skyline has an exhaust that reads 104+ decibels at the 3200rpm range. (i think thats the correct rpm for 6 cylinders, legals something like 96 or 97 decibels)

Only got picked up for the first time since we've owned it (approximately 2 1/2 years), last warrant by a new employee and then Dad just duped/ convinced the guy into believing that the background noise was contributing to the high reading. Car usually flies through without a second look.

As long as its not obnoxiously loud at low revs you should have no troubles getting a WOF as for the cops usual story don't be a idiot around them and you'll be sweet

marrow

Post by marrow » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:52 am

Aha, failed my WOF the other week on noise, probably because it's running free-flow with no cat/muffler, and probably because I goofed and went to VTNZ.
If my next major job is going to be turboing it, should I just leave it free-flowing, or are there high flow mufflers that will work for n/a and turbo application.
Mainly asking because I don't want to buy a muffler, use it for a month or two, then need to change when I turbo swap... but I'm going to need some exhaust work (thinking of cutting the pipe and welding on flanges, to make it easier to remove)

OMSIN

Post by OMSIN » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:42 pm

VTNZ throws the book at boy racer cars.

Go to a place that deals with performance cars / exhausts and you won't have a single issue, especially if they are the ones doing to exhaust work for you to begin with.

If you get test pipes you will need a resonator somewhere in the system to stop rasp and lower the overall noise, it is extremely bad otherwise - some would say it sounds nice depending on what you like.

Installing headers of any kind are very time consuming and you may need to remove the engine to get it done, long tube is the way to go if you planned on doing test pipes and headers.

I had AAM test pipes and Y-pipe going to a Kakimoto cat back system, in the end I put two small resonators on the Y pipe to eliminate the rasp/cackle and lower the noise.

most test pipes have a spot for the oxygen sensors to connect to so you won't get a CEL.

p.s

True dual exhausts will suit Turbo more than N/A has they are very free flowing, so you could go with them. Most aftermarket and stock exhausts are fake dual exhausts as they merge into one after the cats and then split out of the factory style tip.

Single exits I haven't heard anything bad about other than being loud if its all straight through.