Intake / Exhaust mods

350Z
OMSIN

Post by OMSIN » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:36 pm

I Installed mine last week, fairly straight forward. Gains are reasonable.

Do you mean spacer and lower plenum? spacer and upper plenum = poop and fan.

I also put in an AEM cold air intake, not so much fun when you have to try put in the lower pipe + filter

netrover

Post by netrover » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:36 pm

OMSIN wrote:I Installed mine last week, fairly straight forward. Gains are reasonable.

Do you mean spacer and lower plenum? spacer and upper plenum = poop and fan.

I also put in an AEM cold air intake, not so much fun when you have to try put in the lower pipe + filter
Quite right, lower plenum it is!

Did you get the Motordyne parts or use another supplier?
35th Anniversary Ultra Yellow 350Z

OMSIN

Post by OMSIN » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:48 pm

Motordyne parts, spacer/plenum and iso therm gaskets ordered through CZP. Arrived in 4 days, no tax/duty at customs :)

My advise would be to be careful when you make adjustments to the sway bar when you take it off and put it back on, I some how made mine too stiff and the car is more sensitive around corners and over bumps.

If you haven't already taken your plenum apart before you will find the hoses and bolts will be stuck on quite tight, just got to get a good sized wrench for the bolts and give the pipes a good twist back and forth. Instructions for re assembly are pretty straight forward and it is well worth doing the throttle and idle air flow calibrations that are listed on the back page.

Also remember to stretch your back when ever you get a chance, hard work having your head buried in the engine bay for long periods of time :)

netrover

Post by netrover » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:33 pm

OMSIN wrote:Motordyne parts, spacer/plenum and iso therm gaskets ordered through CZP. Arrived in 4 days, no tax/duty at customs :)
Customs called me today dammit! Another $200.

netrover

Post by netrover » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:10 pm

All the bits finally arrived, and after assembling all the required tools we installed it today.

Annoyingly Motordyne doubled up on a pack of 4 long bolts and missed the 3 x 55mm bolts for the front of the plenum. Luckily we did a check of the contents a few days ago and discovered the mistake before taking everything to bits.

No real issues with anything, although the back gets sore bending over the engine bay! The instal videos on YouTube were helpful for tips not mentioned in the written instructions.

It sounds a tad throatier at higher revs, and happy with the performance gains at those revs too.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:41 pm

netrover wrote: No real issues with anything, although the back gets sore bending over the engine bay! The instal videos on YouTube were helpful for tips not mentioned in the written instructions.

It sounds a tad throatier at higher revs, and happy with the performance gains at those revs too.
That might be something to do with your vertical disposition. :P

Great to hear you're pleased with the latest mod. Mod bug biting now? What's next?
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

OMSIN

Post by OMSIN » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:18 pm

264 cam gears and Tomei headers?? Might be my list

netrover

Post by netrover » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:56 pm

BRONZEE wrote: Great to hear you're pleased with the latest mod. Mod bug biting now? What's next?
Just the exhaust for now. NZ sourced Nismo looks like about $4,500!!! So will need to put the thinking cap on again.

netrover

Post by netrover » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:59 pm

OMSIN wrote:264 cam gears and Tomei headers?? Might be my list
I'll need to google that!

OMSIN

Post by OMSIN » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:28 pm

netrover wrote:
BRONZEE wrote: Great to hear you're pleased with the latest mod. Mod bug biting now? What's next?
Just the exhaust for now. NZ sourced Nismo looks like about $4,500!!! So will need to put the thinking cap on again.
My honest opinion is that it seems that the Nismo parts aren't actually THAT good and worth the price you pay, I know for sure that there are at least a dozen examples of better and cheaper aftermarket brands out there. Personally for $4500 you can get yourself a much better exhaust, have a look over at conceptzperformance.com and go through the "performance" section for 350z, lots and lots of things to drool over :) Motordyne, HKS and Tomei are all a good place to start. Also last tip, cheap parts like TopSpeed are cheap for a reason, so don't be tempted.

I'll be getting the Tomei headers in a few weeks so will let you know how awesome they are in the near future.

Luxo

Post by Luxo » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:39 pm

http://www.conceptzperformance.com/Cart ... .74.27.227

[web]http://www.conceptzperformance.com/Cart ... .74.27.227[/web]

Have a browse on here. I'm looking at getting a single exhaust soon (or different dual purely for LOUD) so my Impul Catback exhaust may be up for sale.
2005 350Z ST money pit.

netrover

Post by netrover » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:13 am

Thanks for the link Luxo. Heaps of stuff to look at there!

I've arranged for a Stillen true dual cat back exhaust thru City Nissan Takapuna and hope to have it on board for the Arthur's Pass cruise. Would be good to see you come along- can you make it? The more the merrier.

kirihi
Z Club Member

Post by kirihi » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:23 am

netrover wrote:I've arranged for a Stillen true dual cat back exhaust thru City Nissan Takapuna and hope to have it on board for the Arthur's Pass cruise.
Awesome! I look forward to hearing (and seeing) the Stillen system. Good on you. :-) I hope that this expense wasn't my fault... ;-)
2007 (HR) Magnetic Black 350Z Enthusiast

netrover

Post by netrover » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:51 pm

kirihi wrote: Awesome! I look forward to hearing (and seeing) the Stillen system. Good on you. :-) I hope that this expense wasn't my fault... ;-)
Definitely your fault. But I owe you one!

Jibber

Post by Jibber » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:50 pm

I've got a set of Stillen headers in my Z32. Wow is about the best description, bet your Z will sound amazing!