Headlight hazing

350Z
BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Headlight hazing

Post by BRONZEE » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:33 pm

Sort of technical, as a few people have been asking about this. The issue a lot of 350's and indeed other cars have with plastic headlights, with oxidation or clouding of the exterior of the headlight plastic.

Turbo Wax 3 stage Headlight is effective and lasts well.

http://www.turbowax.com/prod/turbo-wax- ... ystem.html

In Supercheap I saw the Rain-X Extreme Clean solution to headlight hazing. I've not tried it so can't comment.

http://www.turbowax.com/prod/turbo-wax- ... ystem.html
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

Jibber

Post by Jibber » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:58 pm

I got annoyed with our A33 cefiro once and used a mild cutting compound which worked a treat, although we sold the car a short while later so not really sure how well it lasted. When I was at school we used to use Brasso to clean acrylic, which may work too.

Seems to be sunlight and road grime builds up on them and probably bakes on a bit too

Taryon

Post by Taryon » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:11 pm

My 350z came with super yellow oxidized headlights and I used Meguiar's plastx which made it like new
So it's quite good IMO

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:42 pm

Hitting them with a cutting compound and a electric polisher works very well and lasts 12 months or so. Dont polish any adjacent trim and paint off though!

Jibber

Post by Jibber » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:58 pm

Andy wrote:Hitting them with a cutting compound and a electric polisher works very well and lasts 12 months or so. Dont polish any adjacent trim and paint off though!
Phew, because thate exactly what I did!

NOSFEDZ32

Post by NOSFEDZ32 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:27 pm

Jibber wrote:
Andy wrote:Hitting them with a cutting compound and a electric polisher works very well and lasts 12 months or so. Dont polish any adjacent trim and paint off though!
Phew, because thate exactly what I did!
this works well, but I use Meguiars PlastX it works a freakin treat the UV protection is awesome, tried the Turtle wax not as impressed with its finish... but love the primera's as new lamps...

bringing out my old Rupes buffer 20 years and works a treat...
A few projects on the go....

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:45 am

Oven Hob cleaner works well too!

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:47 pm

old_datto_fan wrote:Oven Hob cleaner works well too!
No UV protection though.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

nismoracer

Post by nismoracer » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:09 pm

WOW….i just got my headlights ‘restored’ professionally…they completely strip the surface of your plastic lights & reapply a new UV protective coating...costs = $95….time = 45 minutes….they look brand new!!!....well worth the money & he gives a two year warranty…anyone who would like his contact details let me know via a PM….

netrover

Post by netrover » Sun May 19, 2019 4:21 pm

Took my headlights out and have had them professionally stripped and recoated. They were looking very hazy and detracting from the look of the car. Refitted them today and they look fantastic. $150 well spent. Still some slight crazing on the inside but not bad for 14 year old units. Quite fiddly getting the front bumper off though!
35th Anniversary Ultra Yellow 350Z