HD clutch suggestion

300ZX
prezbox

HD clutch suggestion

Post by prezbox » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:45 am

I need a stronger clutch, any suggestions and what are you running?

Cheers

martysauce

Post by martysauce » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:18 pm

prezbox wrote:I need a stronger clutch, any suggestions and what are you running?

Cheers
If this is for a z32 im running a specalty z 5 puck unsprung aluminium plate clutch. Its not as bad as you would thing but is pretty on or off. Also because its so light you can change gears pretty quick

djz

Post by djz » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:21 pm

James (85_z31) just had a good clutch put together for his one.
Nissan 280ZX 2 seater RB26 powered.

prezbox

Post by prezbox » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:00 am

Its for a z31, cheers.

I eagerly anticipate James (85_z31) response.

85_z31

Post by 85_z31 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:47 pm

Hi Mate

I Discussed it with Tony From Clutch Systems NZ in Christchurch and i ended up with the following combination

Exedy's stage 1 racing pressure plate
The upgraded self centering extra heavy duty release bearings.
And the friction material was changed out for one from JKK, if i recall it had a better quality heat treated hub and a better system of rivets.

this is the strongest organic combination he has,

From the website

Ultra-Fiber Organic Disc
This advanced facing material provides the high heat resistance essential for Motorsports. It was developed by reviewing both the copper wire ratio and the composition of the high strength fiber. The Ultra Fiber Disc maintains the superior half-engagement feeling specific to the Organic material. With improved high heat resistance, it provides the functionality essential for street performance and mild racing applications.

I spoke to Tony , and he said to stay away from a puk clutch on a street car, so far its a great feeling clutch.

I installed it with a nismo pivot ball and a reinforced clutch fork -this also improved engagement and increased feel.
1985 Z31 Slicktop Turbo

prezbox

Post by prezbox » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:01 pm

Hey,

That sounds ideal, mind if I copy, hahaha.

I actually spoke with Tony the other day, I think he said it would be no problem getting 240mm clutch (like yours?) but the 87 has the 250mm could be more difficult. You think that's correct?
Tony also said they can test my current clutch and try go from there.

I also spoke with some at Exedy but everyone's very hesitant to say anything about how much power specific clutches are good for, its probably fair enough.....

If its not private how much can your clutch set up hold and what sort of power you making?

Cheers

85_z31

Post by 85_z31 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:24 pm

No Worries sharing

Yep its correct the 87 has the 250mm clutch, might be best to take all of the parts to Tony in person.

The man is amazing he is like the Clutch yoda and seems to know every part number in his head. Once he see's it I'm sure he will be able to match something up similar to what ive got ( or better )

My Old clutch was a clutch industries RB25DET HD clutch and that would start slipping in 3rd after 1 - 2 good boosts. My car has never been dyno'd but DJZ and myself both feel that its an honest 300+ hp at the wheels , if anything the torque number matters more but i simply don't have it.

It happily lights up 245's in 3rd gear from boosting, so its making some torque. The new clutch feels fantastic, it holds better, but ive only 400kms in low boost.

Tony said a puk would be terrible in a street car, if you know what power and torque you are making take it to tony. He advises a lot of guys doing drift and rally and circuit and can see you right.

I would offer you a ride in my Z but a rouge oil pump has seen me into a forced engine rebuild.
1985 Z31 Slicktop Turbo

prezbox

Post by prezbox » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:18 pm

ok cool, Tony seemed knowledgeable and happy to discus things so I'll go see him when I'm ready. I definitely dont want a puk, my car car is already a rough ride with suspension.

My loose goal was a safe 300 hp which doesn't seem unreasonable.

I'm keen to see your car, haven't seen another modified z31 in real life before and maybe you can take a look at mine point me in the right direction with a few things.

What sort of turbo/waste-gate you running?

85_z31

Post by 85_z31 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:30 pm

I'm Running a 40mm HKS external Gate from Tubular 3-2-1 manifolds.

I kept cracking cast oem manifolds and had to make something better, Even when i had a standard manifold i had it modified to take the external waste gate.
1985 Z31 Slicktop Turbo

prezbox

Post by prezbox » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:01 pm

Interestingly I happened to come across some quality posts on http://forums.hybridz.org.

Are you interested in making another manifold for a fellow z31 enthusiast? Obviously I'd pay you.