Clunk at braking when almost stopped. Is it ABS?

300ZX
300zxtt

Clunk at braking when almost stopped. Is it ABS?

Post by 300zxtt » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:31 am

My 300zx often (not always) makes an unusual clunk in the front when going forward or backwards when braking at almost stopped, say parking or backing out of parking. For example, was backing out of a park, put foot on brake, and side mirror vibrated. Mechanics have been over it with a fine tooth comb and say they can't find anything significant. Maybe a king pin joint. Another mechanic I was talking to said it would have to be really flogged out for a king pin top do that. I'm now wondering if it's to do with the front brakes or ABS having a spasm. Everything works fine, but it's just an odd idiosyncrasy. Has anyone else struck this symptom?

300zxtt

Post by 300zxtt » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:04 am

Original mechanic still thinks it's the kingpin. Are they readily available? Original part or aftermarket?

mikec(nz)
Z Club Member

Post by mikec(nz) » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:26 am

You might have trouble finding one since they don't have one. Maybe a ball joint is what he means. Most parts are readily available. Cheaper to buy from the USA though. Try conceptzperformance. But be wary if you mechanic does not understand that kingpins became obsolete in the 70's. Work done on Zed's by people who don't know what they are doing well cost you lots in the long run.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:44 pm

Glenn at The Lab is based in Hamilton, and knows Z32's. Might be worth going for a visit, as it's not really that far away from your listed location. 8)
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

300zxtt

Post by 300zxtt » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:44 pm

mikec(nz) wrote:You might have trouble finding one since they don't have one. Maybe a ball joint is what he means. Most parts are readily available. Cheaper to buy from the USA though. Try conceptzperformance. But be wary if you mechanic does not understand that kingpins became obsolete in the 70's. Work done on Zed's by people who don't know what they are doing well cost you lots in the long run.
What would you call this joint above the wheel hub?
Attachments
IMG_5177 reduced.jpg
IMG_5177 reduced.jpg (535.35 KiB) Viewed 7398 times

300zxtt

Post by 300zxtt » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:32 pm

300zxtt wrote:
mikec(nz) wrote:You might have trouble finding one since they don't have one. Maybe a ball joint is what he means. Most parts are readily available. Cheaper to buy from the USA though. Try conceptzperformance. But be wary if you mechanic does not understand that kingpins became obsolete in the 70's. Work done on Zed's by people who don't know what they are doing well cost you lots in the long run.
What would you call this joint above the wheel hub?
I looked it up in the service manual and they call it a king pin. Maybe the 300zx got left behind with old technology.
Attachments
300zx sus.jpg
300zx sus.jpg (244.56 KiB) Viewed 7395 times

mikec(nz)
Z Club Member

Post by mikec(nz) » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:30 pm

Ha Ha that is hardcase. Generally the centre of the steering is where the kingpin is. Might be a translation issue or maybe me and my mechanics are just wrong.

According to Wikipedia
While no current-era automobile front suspension incorporates a physical king pin, the angle of the pivot points of the steering knuckle constitute a "virtual king pin" about which the wheels turn
I would have thought any competent chassis and steering shop wold be able to find which part is faulty assuming that is what is causing your problem.

Kingpin is not too expensive CZP - Kingpin

But you probably might need the whole kit and that is pricey CZP Kingpin kit

300zxtt

Post by 300zxtt » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:37 am

Talking to the mechanic the second time, he is certain that's what is causing the trouble. It took a lot of effort with a lever to find the play. He said they went over everything else in much detail and there is nothing else that's wrong. About $500 for original parts and I need to wait for them to come in.

300zxtt

Post by 300zxtt » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:19 pm

Finally the parts arrived and in, and problem eliminated.
Attachments
IMG_5312reduced.jpg
IMG_5312reduced.jpg (1.35 MiB) Viewed 7360 times

ZILVER

Post by ZILVER » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:07 pm

martysauce

Post by martysauce » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:43 pm

i had some play in that king pin joint on my z32 the cheapest option for me was to just replace the whole arm and kingpin from my parts car could be the way to go.

i just spotted thoes king pins from conceptz a couple of days ago i had always thought they had discontinued them but obviously not , handy to know